Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 adapter. What's the proper way to unplug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks,

When I charge at the local Voltas I almost always end up with the J1772 adapter still inserted while the charging door wants to close. And it jams against the adapter. I think this can't be good for the servo/motor driving that hinge.

I will click "Stop Charging" and will cycle off for about one second before cycling back on. Unlock charging port doesn't appear to work properly.

What procedure do you all perform when unplugging from non-tesla public chargers?

Reactions: APotatoGod
There are several YouTube videos demonstrating how to do this most easily. Here's one:

There are variants possible, like the two-handed method noted by @Tz00.

Also, I've seen a few reports of problems with Volta stations causing overheating in Tesla J1772 adapters. In a worst-case scenario, this can render the adapter useless, or even fuse it to the J1772 handle. This is largely anecdotal, so it could be that there's nothing wrong with Voltas generally, just a few scattered problems being amplified in the forums. OTOH, it could be that there's a problem with the design of the Volta EVSEs, or a compatibility problem with Tesla's J1772 adapter. In any event, I personally would avoid using them unless it's absolutely necessary.

There are several YouTube videos demonstrating how to do this most easily. Here's one:
Wow--that looks like it would take some dexterity to be able to grab hold of the adapter with just those couple of fingers of the same hand that is pressing the button. I do use the two handed method, where I just hold the button down and grab the adapter with the other hand to pull them out together. Depending on the vehicle or scenario, sometimes when the button is released, the charge port immediately latches onto the adapter again, so that is why several of us are recommending about keeping the button pressed while pulling them both out, so the car keeps the interrupt signal.

I stop charging inside the car first. Then stop charging at the source. Then press and hold the shutoff switch for a good hard second count on the cord and pull that out. Then with the other hand grab the adapter and pull that out. I really don't like arc flashes and that combination usually avoids them. And, yes, my guess is that letting the door close on the adapter is a bad idea and should be avoided.

I stop charging inside the car first. Then stop charging at the source. Then press and hold the shutoff switch for a good hard second count on the cord and pull that out.
That is what holding the button down does anyway. It is sending an interrupt signal to everything to get them to stop. But yes, it does sometimes take about one second for them to shut off, so holding it does matter, and you can watch the port light for it to turn white to know they are stopped.

I press the button, release it, push the plug in to get the J1772 latch to reenage, then pull them out together all with one hand. The timing has to be right, but for me it's easier than the two hand method.
This is what I've found to be most reliable. I watch for the light to turn teal before pulling (I usually open my trunk first, which wakes the car and turns the light back to green)

Hi There, I'm charging everyday at ChargePoint. This are the steps to stop charging. Never have any issues.
- first I stop the charging at ChargePoint station using the ChargePoint app on my iPhone
- go to Tesla app and first press stop charging then unlock the Tesla charging port
- remove the ChargePoint connector from the car with the Tesla J1772 attached
- remove the Tesla adapter (J1772) from ChargePoint connector
Hope this helps.

What I usually do is press the button on the J1772 once to stop charging and release the latch. Then pull the J1772 off which also brings the adapter with it since its still attached. Then push the button down again and take the adapter off.