TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

J1772 and HPWC same spot

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by mattack4000, Aug 27, 2018.

1. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

Hey guys, I currently use a 14-50 outlet with 2 different mobile EVSE charging my J1772 equipped car and Tesla at the same spot. The constant plugging and unplugging is super annoying. Do you guys have any solution as to what I can do to charge both cars utilizing only one outlet (not at the same time)? Since I have a referral coming, could I daisy chain a 14-50 off it or does it have to be another HPWC? Thanks

2. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Why not charge Tesla with J1772 EVSE and adapter?

• Love x 1
  3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Unfortunately loadsharing is across WCs ...if u need to daisy chain from single circuit u can use clipper creek wall connectors as those are native J1772 and that use adaptor for Tesla ..alternately if ur cabling can support a sub panel do a 14-50 and WC

4. miimura

miimura Active Member

• Like x 1
  5. mattack4000

I don't want to use the adapter as I always leave it at home and leave without it. I just want to be lazy and not keep pulling the 14-50 in and out

• Informative x 1
  6. miimura

miimura Active Member

Avoiding unplugging will also prevent wearing out the socket and limiting the possibility of the plug and socket overheating due to poor contact.

• Like x 1
  7. mattack4000

Yeah I know, but don't have a choice now unless I just leave my cable on the ground and run my cord from the other side of the garage. The Volt and Tesla have the plug on the same side.

8. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

You may want to investigate charging one of the vehicles off of 120V instead. The Volt may be an excellent option for slower charging. I charge my M3 off of the 14-50, but my Leaf off of 120V. Works great and for those few times that the Leaf needs a little more, then we can switch cords.

• Like x 1
  9. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Then just buy an extra J1772 adapter from the Tesla store.

• Like x 1
  10. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

This is just getting silly.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  11. davewill

davewill Member

QuickChargePower.com will sell you a wall connector with a J1772 on it. You could use that with a regular wall connector in a load sharing configuration.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. miimura

miimura Active Member

The other option is to load share two unmodified Tesla Wall Connectors and use a Jdapter with the J1772 vehicle. It's a much cheaper, albeit less elegant, solution. You also have the option to move the cars around without regard to which one supports J1772.

13. mattack4000

I already have the Jesla and and old G1 brick, that's what I swap back and forth with