TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

J1772 charge rate

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Pjorg45, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Pjorg45

Pjorg45 New Member

i just got my 75d and tried charging it with my 40 amp j1172 charging station. It was only charging at 16 amps. Took forever. Why isnt it charging at 30 amps?

2. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Did you try to increase the Amperage to 30?

3. GSP

GSP Member

Does the charging display in the car say 16/40 Amp, or 16/16 Amp? If the former, just adjust the charge rate (amps) up with the arrows.

If the latter, then your charge station (aka EVSE) is configured for 16 Amp max. Have it checked. It may need only a dip switch adjustment, or maybe upgrading your breaker and wiring to 50 Amps (to allow 40 Amp charging, which can not be more than 80% of circuit rating).

Good Luck,

GSP

• Informative x 1
  4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The amperage is set in two places - by the EVSE through the pilot duty cycle, and on the center screen (which won't allow a higher rate than the pilot, but will allow lower.)

Additionally, the car monitors wave forms and voltage drop as it loads up the line, and will reduce the current draw if it encounters what the car decides is an excessive voltage drop to protect the wiring upstream of the car (I'm not sure where that threshold is.)