Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Charging for the Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
General Electric has introduced their version of a Level 2 charging station - Electric Vehicle Equipment from GE.

I attended the rollout at their factory in Mebane, NC last month, and plugged my Roadster ('08, VIN 244) with the 1772 adapter cable into the station they had installed in front of their factory.

The first time, it tripped the breaker: the car had remained programmed to 70A.
I reset the car to 30A, and reset the breaker - it tripped again (perhaps the breaker was hot?).
I reset the car to 24A and it charged satisfactorily.

My firmware is over a year old, and I suspect I need an update to properly read the pilot.

General Electric has introduced their version of a Level 2 charging station - Electric Vehicle Equipment from GE.

I attended the rollout at their factory in Mebane, NC last month, and plugged my Roadster ('08, VIN 244) with the 1772 adapter cable into the station they had installed in front of their factory.

The first time, it tripped the breaker: the car had remained programmed to 70A.
I reset the car to 30A, and reset the breaker - it tripped again (perhaps the breaker was hot?).
I reset the car to 24A and it charged satisfactorily.

My firmware is over a year old, and I suspect I need an update to properly read the pilot.
Since you have *NOT* recently had the firmware upgraded after ordering Tesla's adapter cable ... I am surprised it charged at all. I would expect either A] the Roadster to see the pilot signal (which should be 30A) and respect that; or B] not charge and trip the VDS (not the breaker) with an error. I am aware of non-updated 1.5 Roadsters (like yours) that do either A] or B] depending on the EVSE vendor. In the case of B] a firmware update resolved the issue. Your specific case/circumstances is a new one. Let Tesla know ... I am sure it will start with a firmware update to debug the issue, but the case may be new to them too.

(BTW, I don't think you can set the car to 30A, only 32A; that's probably why it still tripped triggered by an over-current condition in the EVSE ? Or as you suspect, a hot breaker.)

Last edited:
I just tried to charge at a Shorepoint charging station. The charging stations recognized that an EV was attached but the Roadster did not recognize it was connected. I packed the o-scope into the passenger seat and headed back to the charging station. I found that the pilot signal is only swinging from +12V to 0V instead of going from -12V to +12V. The Roadster is pulling the signal down to around 8V, which is why the charging station is happily recognizing the connection, but my guess is the Roadster is not happy with the lack of the negative side of the square wave. Has anyone successfully charged a Roadster on a Shorepoint system?

Shorepower Tower Charging Station
yhst-13738724167386_2173_81409996.gif

Shorepower Cube Charging Station
yhst-13738724167386_2173_81445591.gif

Plug In America | We Drive Change
Shorepower WU-120 ... Shorepower's units are unique in that they take 240 volt input, but provide four Level 1 outputs, handling four EVs at once.

More info about Shorepower "ePump" tower:

Shorepower Technologies 2011-2015
2351 NW York Street, Portland, OR 97210 (503) 892-7345 [email protected]

http://www.shorepower.com/docs/SP-EV-Charging-Trifold.pdf

http://www.gogreensolar.com/products/shorepower-epump-tower-level-2-charging-station\
shorepower_epump_tower_1_large.png

ePump stations from Shorepower Technologies combine the latest electric vehicle charging technology with unparalleled customization options for municipalities, private employers, retail environments and fleet locations

Shorepower Technologies ePumps commercial stations | AEE Solar

http://www.redcloudev.com/ev_charging_specs.pdf

http://mydocs.epri.com/docs/publicm...NWTEDLUQG/E235519_NonRoad_Electrification.pdf

http://www.earthwindandfire.biz/pdf/22-ev_charging_systems.pdf

http://www.southeastdiesel.org/Presentations for 4th Annual Meeting/Day 3/Idle Reduction Workshop/4 - Licari.pdf

REDCloud EV - Electrification of Light Duty Fleets

Shorepower Charging Station
1441 East Mission Avenue, Spokane, WA 99220

808 West Spokane Falls Boulevard, Spokane, WA 99201-3333

159 South Lincoln Street, Spokane, WA 99201-4420

Last edited:
More info about Shorepower "ePump" tower

Cathy and I tried the Shorepower station at OMSI in Portland, OR. The station recognized the Roadster as an EV, but the Roadster did not recognize the station. (The station said it was plugged into an EV, waiting for the command to start charging, while the Roadster was still in the "connect power" state.) Another Roadster owner had the same experience with the station in Spokane. The other owner and I have been talking to the Shorepower folks, but we haven't figured out what the problem is yet.

Other owner = Daniel?
Didn't he say that the Pilot Signal has unusual voltage levels?

I am the other owner Tom was referring to. I put an O-Scope on the pilot signal and discovered that the Shorepower Stations (in Spokane at least) only swing the pilot signal from 0 to +12V. The -12V swing is not there!!! Since the -12V swing is really the integral part of the safety system, I'm not quite sure how they pass UL without it.

I am the other owner Tom was referring to. I put an O-Scope on the pilot signal and discovered that the Shorepower Stations (in Spokane at least) only swing the pilot signal from 0 to +12V. The -12V swing is not there!!! Since the -12V swing is really the integral part of the safety system, I'm not quite sure how they pass UL without it.
Very few commercial J1772 EVSEs pass proper +12/-12 volt control pilot signal. Since there is a required GFCI test, that is considered sufficient for UL listing. There was a problem with the Shorepower units only putting out +11.5 volts on the control pilot pin, but this was fixed on all the Portland units at least.