Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Charging for the Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow thanks everybody!:redface:
I'm trying to find out how much it would cost to make those to sell. There were no less than 8 sources for the parts and materials. You wouldn't believe the enormous amount of time it took.

Tesla also said that the high labor factor is what drove up the price of the adaptor they sell. "Pretty much hand-made." Maybe you could sell a kit with parts/directions for those who don't mind putting the time in.

Tesla also said that the high labor factor is what drove up the price of the adaptor they sell. "Pretty much hand-made." Maybe you could sell a kit with parts/directions for those who don't mind putting the time in.

"Pretty much hand-made" is also the excuse they use for charging so much for the Roadster. In any case, at this point I can believe it!

I'm hoping to sell just the connector with a strain relief on the end to DIY types. There are some hurdles to selling kits. If somebody assembles it wrong and starts a fire or gets electrocuted I don't know how much I would be liable for that. Another problem is the crimp connections require a special tool. If it's not tight enough at 70A it will begin to heat up. Maybe they could solder them?

FWIW - soldering connections is a violation of the NEC. Using the proper tool to crimp the connections is the only option.
Perhaps some disagreement?
Question about NEC Code and Solder for connections - ECN Electrical Forums
gfretwell said:
Solder is fine as long as you make a secure mechanical connection before you solder.
splices.jpg

soldering wire connections 110.14 B

Last edited:
110.14B states "Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered". So yes, you can solder them, after properly crimping. Properly crimping will involve using the tool designed for the connector and soldering afterwards will gain you nothing. The only lugs we ever soldered were used for 12 and 24 volt DC high current applications where voltage drop was a concern and these were crimped before soldering. We are kind of nit picking here because the terminals we are discussing are meant to be crimped and a special tool is required to do the crimping. Meaning, don't put it in a vise and smash it with a hammer or whatever is handy. People would occasionally say to me (when asked to take exception to NEC) what's the worst that could happen? To which I would reply "you could die in a house fire started by crappy electrical work."

I was at the Eaton plant today in NC where they had an EV test drive day. I taked to several employees about the need and resaons for 70 amp level 2 charging. They said they are working on it and expect UL approval very soon. So I am encouraged that we may get some slighlyty higher powered chargers out soon. They also sell DC fast charging which while not useful for the Tesla it is encouraging never the less.

Eaton in Arden NC, also has 4 Level 2 chargers and 1 Level 3 charger now in their parking lot.

I was at the Eaton plant today in NC where they had an EV test drive day. I taked to several employees about the need and resaons for 70 amp level 2 charging. They said they are working on it and expect UL approval very soon. So I am encouraged that we may get some slighlyty higher powered chargers out soon. They also sell DC fast charging which while not useful for the Tesla it is encouraging never the less.

Eaton in Arden NC, also has 4 Level 2 chargers and 1 Level 3 charger now in their parking lot.

The Eaton charging stations are on the Plug In America EVSE Tracker. They've been talking about 70A charging stations in vague terms for at least six months.

Siemens has also announced they will be offering 70A charging stations. The $1,000 price shown on the PIA tracker is presumably for the 40A version.

I'm very interested to hear how both vendors price the 70A version.

Here's the latest version of my solution. Overall length is 6.5" so even with the J connector attached it has barely any more torque on the car than the regular Tesla HPC connector. You can't really make it any shorter and still clear the side of the body with the J- connector plugged in. All the components are rated to 70A or more. This is my 3rd prototype. It still took a lot of hours in my poorly-tooled shop! Ignoring time, materials were about $200.

View attachment 3466
R
View attachment 3467

View attachment 3468

Would it be possible to make the reverse version?

I hope this is appropriate for this thread. My thinking is this thread is for those considering the purchase of EVSE.

A post came through on the evdl of a member's first hand experience thus their post warning to not even consider throwing money at nor wasting time on EV-Charge America.
Please read their post
Electric Vehicle Discussion List - EV-Charge America

On other Production EV/pih forums, I had read of this company's shady behavior, but now this makes it firm in my mind that this company is not to be trusted.

For those that are searching/learning of low cost EVSE, I have put together a post they may want to check out
Electric Vehicle Discussion List - Low Cost EVSE

If you know of Low Cost EVSE that is under $1000, and hopefully 6kW+ capable, please let me know so I can research it and if appropriate add it to the post.

{brucedp.150m.com}

Last edited:
Would it be possible to make the reverse version?

Of course. Anything is possible! :smile:
But then I would have to share all those nice Tesla proprietary 70A HPCs set out for public use... with a crowd of Leafs and Volts and who knows what!:wink:

Seriously I plan to make a Tesla roadster plug-to-J1772 connector but it's low on my priority list at the moment. That will change when the Model S nears release. Also useful would be Tesla roadster plug to Model S connector.

Tesla said that the Model S would come with such an adapter free for Roadster owners so we could use our HPC to charge both cars.

It would be smarter to convert your HPC to the new Model S connector. Then convert your Roadster to the new Model S proprietary plug instead of J-1772. Then both cars in our garage will use the same plug and connector. The adapters for traveling would be the same for each car, and simpler (latch instead of twist-lock).

Then again I'm not a big fan of J-1772. It will be obsolete soon. The pins are already borderline too small for 19kW, and 19kW is already too slow when you have to wait.

That's be the way it should go, but converting the Roadster to the new plug requires either dropping the quick charging feature or update the PEM + firmware - something that should be done by Tesla.

Having 2000+ cars on the road that can use the future fast DC charging network would be a leap forward!