TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

J1772 Charging for the Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by tomsax, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

They said free? That would be a first.

2. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

3. tomsax

tomsax Member

4. tomsax

tomsax Member

If you convert your Roadster to J1772, you'll have a leftover Tesla inlet that can be used to build a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter. It's a work in progress.

5. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

They may also make a retro kit which was hinted at by a few employees during the Oct. 2nd event.

6. rgjones

rgjones Member

<referring to hsharpe "Short and sweet J-1772 adapter" on page 22 of this thread.>
    That is awesome. So portable.
    How do I buy one or get components and build one?
    I presume $200 does not include the Tesla connector ;-)
    Speaking of which, is there now a source for these, even used?

7. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I've had a number of requests for these so I'm working with a local machine shop to make some for sale. I made the Tesla connector myself from scratch and it was quite labor intensive. In fact the $200 figure did include the connector and the J- plug, but I will have to pay the machine shop more than that just for the connector. It takes up almost no space or weight in the trunk, and much more practical than Tesla's solution. When I have some for sale I'll post it in the for-sale section.

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Please consider doing the reverse version too.

9. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

It there's a market, then I'll do the reverse version. Most of the HPC owners I know are buying a Model S if they buy another EV. I realize you are in a different camp. Would you also use it with your existing UMC?

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I have no intention of using it with any Tesla EVSEs at all. No sir, wouldn't do a thing like that. Neither would the other EV drivers around here.

Just want to put it on the mantelpiece and admire the workmanship...

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Some LEAF owners could use a nice mantelpiece as well.

(Might as well request 'Supercharger'->CHAdeMO while I am at it.)

12. Dave EV

Dave EV Active Member

Oh, I'm sure that Ingineer will be working on it... ;) Although he'll probably find it easier to simply plug directly into the battery pack.