TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

J1772 Charging for the Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by tomsax, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

Sorry David, I'm not in disagreement at all with you... I was responding to Lloyd's questions regarding J1772 and CHAdeMO.

You do raise some very interesting questions about 'water proofing' of charging equipment... I've spent many years sailing and have only ever found IP44 'splash proof' equipment at marinas. I wonder if this works because marina's don't have fixed cables with trailing ends, just sockets.

I find it interesting that the US is deploying EVSE systems with cables attached while Europe is deploying EVSE sockets... my gut feeling is that sockets are a lot more robust and vandal proof.

2. tomsax

tomsax Member

Full conversion to J1772 is the answer. It's not that hard. It looks like it would be even easier and cheaper (no $200 Amphenol connector on the PEM side) on a 2010 than a 2008.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

#103 Lloyd, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
    I don't think this is possible as current is not applied unless it is plugged in and receiving a proper signal from the vehicle. Also it is protected with Fround Fault Protection GFI, further reducing the chance for accidental shock hazard.

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

The problem could occur if the connection is left on the ground, charging starts and then when the vehicle is unattended, it starts raining.

OK so the GFCI will hopefully cut out, but it would be pretty annoying if you returned to find your charge failed and your connector full of water.

5. strider

strider Active Member

Good to hear that the conversion will be easier on a 2010. So far I don't have a need to charge outside of home but if/when the Model S is J1772 I'll probably convert the Roadster. Thanks for all the work!

6. Nvbob

Nvbob Roadster 1256

I got an email response from my customer rep @ Tesla today in response to an inquiry concerning J1772 charging. He explained Tesla's plan for J1772 charging:

"Regarding the J1772 connector, we will be offering an adapter that interfaces on one end with the J1772 and our Tesla specific connector on the other end. With this adapter, you will be able to plug into any J1772 type connector. I believe it should be offered sometime in the next month or so."

And the possibility of "Fast Charging" (DC Charging):

"Since it was never a consideration during the engineering and design of the Roadster, it was confirmed to me that the Roadster is not equipped to accept off board DC charging. DC charging is what will be needed to accomplish a 45 minute quick charge. The capability was simply never built into the Roadster’s overall design."

7. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Do you know what the connection inside the PEM on an '08 is like? Is it even accessible? I'm just wondering if the connector is needed at all, or was put in in anticipation/worry of a need to swap PEMs for repair that never materialized (and so was elided for the '10s), and so could be skipped in conversion.

8. DZCPA

DZCPA 2.5 2011#1263 "NO GAZZZ"

Did they have a price on the adaptor? Hopefully, the same as the other ones at $100 a piece.

9. Nvbob

Nvbob Roadster 1256

No price or other information was provided. It sounded like it would be a separate connector with one end Tesla and the other J1772.

10. SuperCarnitas

SuperCarnitas Sig100 #54

On a whim I dropped them a line to ask about the J1772. Here's what I heard back yesterday: "Thanks for reaching out. The J1772 will be available in a approximately three months time."

Probably best not to get too anxious...

11. tomsax

tomsax Member

This is a stand along adapter, not a pig tail for the UMC. That's a good thing because it means you don't have to own a UMC and it won't be limited to 40A.

From what's been reported here, the J1772-to-Tesla adapter has a Tesla connector on one end and a J1772 inlet on the other. The cheapest Tesla connector you can buy is $600 for the MC120 which is just a Tesla connector and a 120V plug. The MC120 Tesla cable only has to handle 16 amps, whereas the J adapter has to handle the full 70A. The 70A Tesla replacement cable for the HPC is more than $600, something like $800. A 70 amp J1772 inlet goes for about $300 retail. So just from the parts, assuming no other engineering, I expect it will cost at least $1,100 and most likely more. My guess with no supporting data: $1,400.

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Email today from Tesla regarding a J1772 adapter: "That is correct, we are still finalizing a J1772 to Tesla Specific adapter. I figure that we are probably weeks away from some sort of release, rather than months at this point."

I was also told they are compiling list of interested customers - so if you might want one, get on the list.:)

13. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Great news! I hope it's not something more than a few hundred bucks that attaches directly to the Roadster. That way if someone steals it, it's not a $1000 part or more.

14. tomsax

tomsax Member

Personally, I don't want to have to leave an adapter hanging off my car when charging at a public location like a mall. A number of owners have expressed that same sentiment in this forum or to me directly, but I was recently told by Tesla that very few owners were interested in converting their cars to J1772.

So, if you're interested in the adapter let Tesla know, but if you don't like the adapter solution, let them know that, too.

Likewise if you're a Model S customer and want J1772 support without an adapter you should let them know that, too.

If you're a Roadster owner and are interested in doing an aftermarket conversion to J1772 send me a private message with your email and I'll keep a list of people to contact with information should such an option become available.

15. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I agree regarding the foolishness of leaving the car with an expensive adapter charging at the mall. The more likely scenario is that I'll need the adapter on a road trip and I won't be leaving the car unattended. I'd just like to have the option.

Once we see the J1772 chargers rolling out, I may rethink if I want to convert.

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Conversion for me. There are already more J connectors than Tesla plugs out there.

17. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

They need to convert the HPCs to J1772. A 70 A charger would be great for the Leaf as well.

18. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

The Leaf doesn't charge on 70A AC, it needs DC. On AC it support 230V/3.3kW max.

19. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Which is something to keep in mind. Most any public Yazaki J1772 you find will be at most 32 (or so) Amps. No one is bothering to roll out any better.

How many 70 A Tesla HPCs are out there?

20. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

The HPC is left over from the 1.5 drivetrain with the integrated charger. Just prevents that DC may hit through to the grid if the charger may fail at hight current.