Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Charging for the Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more likely scenario is that I'll need the adapter on a road trip and I won't be leaving the car unattended. I'd just like to have the option..

I would favor the J1772 / Tesla adapter for the same reason bonnie1194 stated. I need the option on road trips to plug in anywhere an amp is available, and not to be dependent on the configuration of the plug or receptacle.l

Which is something to keep in mind. Most any public Yazaki J1772 you find will be at most 32 (or so) Amps. No one is bothering to roll out any better.

How many 70 A Tesla HPCs are out there?

A few of their J1772 brothers:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1483&d=1300205957.jpg

J1772CC.JPG

Which is something to keep in mind. Most any public Yazaki J1772 you find will be at most 32 (or so) Amps. No one is bothering to roll out any better.

How many 70 A Tesla HPCs are out there?

Tom probably has a better count but I'm going to guess 100?

Yeah the current publicly available Tesla High Power Chargers are far superior especially for long drives but since they are mostly on the US west coast, all the other cars in the Americas would benefit from a full car J conversion.
A Roadster on a west coast road trip who wants to use one of those legacy HPCs could either carry a Tesla cable or backwards-adapter (J to Tesla)-at least till those HPCs are converted to J connectors in the future as is inevitable.

There are some RAV4 owners crying that the legacy SPI chargers should be kept in place (though that number dwindles as more and more of them buy LEAFs)
The compromise has been to make an old station have both a SPI and a new J connector with a A/B switch between them. The increased price for that setup is apparently minor so I guess it's a good stopgap solution. Perhaps the Tesla units could do the same.

Last edited:
Tesla J1772 Adapter Cable

Tesla demonstrated their J1772 Adapter Cable today at the unveiling of ChargePoint EV charging stations at the Bellevue Square Mall this morning. I have no info as to availability or price, but I'm guessing somewhere in the $600 to $800 price point.

ImageGen.ashx

My concern, beyond price, lies with the security issue of having an expensive component in the open that can be easily stolen; not so much for the resale or salvage value as for pure spite. But there is a small hole in the J1772 connector's trigger that might allow a small padlock to be inserted to lock the connector into the adapter cable's J1772 housing. This might at least make it difficult enough to cause the casual thief or vandal to move along.

More pictures at my website, Forest Moon.

Last edited:
Will the adapter cable acommodate Level II chaging to 80 amps?

No specifications were revealed or announced and I know little more about it than what it looks like. But I suspect the cable is fully capable of handling the current and the full signaling capability of the standard, as if it were plugged into an HPC. I would at least expect that from Tesla.

Thanks for posting the photo on TMC. I was hoping someone would pick it up from my Twitter feed. Posting a photo to TMC from an iPhone didn't seem like it would be a pleasant experience.

Tesla showed the adapter charging a Roadster from a Coulomb/ChargePoint station at the grand opening for the new charging stations at Bellevue Square in Bellevue, WA.

Despite showing it to the media, Tesla declined to announce the product to owners. I'm not even sure if this is a production unit or a final product, but here's what I was able to learn:

It's apparently 70A capable, so it should work with any J1772 charging station, even the ClipperCreek CS-100. Thus we can get full speed charging from stations that have 70A capability. This will hopefully put an end to needing to try to convince strategically-placed business owners to install a charger that only works for Tesla vehicles.

There's no mechanism for locking either end. The Coulomb charging stations have a way you can lock the plug to the inlet, so that could be a solution. The downside is that it wouldn't be very secure; any lock you can put on that plug could be easily cut. It's also really rude to lock up the plug and prevent other EV drivers from using the charger even after your charge is complete.

Like the hack adapter Cathy and I built, this adapter just passes the wires straight through. Because it pays no attention to the proximity pin, releasing the lock on the J1772 plug does not stop charging, which means you can pull the plug while current is flowing. I have some concerns about the arcing across the contacts that this might cause. I had hoped Tesla would have a solution to this issue.

I'll be more excited when Tesla gets around to telling us about the adapter and the cost, but full J1772 conversion continues to look like the best solution to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, just want to say I applaud you for your leadership on this. I can't help but believe that your postings and success with your own conversion has helped to move the schedule up on the J1772 adapter. Thank you.

As I stated earlier, I'll just be happy to have the adapter if needed. But I'm sure for others, full conversion will be the better answer.

There's no mechanism for locking either end. The Coulomb charging stations have a way you can lock the plug to the inlet, so that could be a solution. The downside is that it wouldn't be very secure; any lock you can put on that plug could be easily cut. It's also really rude to lock up the plug and prevent other EV drivers from using the charger even after your charge is complete.....

The lock needs to be at the car. That way another EV owner can unplug the car (with the charging car's permission) and the adapter cable can't be stolen.

I request one that unlocks with the key button.

Tnx Tom! But what I understand from your post (and other posts on this forum), the same could be done for the VDE-AR-E 2623-2-2 plug? Just connected all the wires straight through, since the communication protocol is the same?

If you could lay hands on a Tesla connector with screw connectors, you could easily create a longer cable which directly connects to the charging station? Or am I missing something here? It's just the connectors which aren't freely available (Especially the Tesla connector)

Unfortunately that puts extra stress on the Tesla connector at the inlet. I imagined there could be a cylindrical adapter that would be waterproof and plug directly into the Tesla something like the shape of a pop can. Unfortunately that also would put a lot of stress on the inlet.

OK, am I the only one that thinks this adapter cable is a really dumb idea? As soon as J1772 plugs became available, Tesla should have started transitioning the Roadsters to it and began offering to retrofit current vehicles. They should have also started retrofitting all public HPCs (or made available retrofit cables at cost).

Like it or not, J1772 is THE standard so the quicker Tesla adopts it the better. The more cars they produce with their proprietary plug, the more will need to get converted later on. Common Tesla wake up!!!