Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Charging for the Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like it or not, J1772 is THE standard so the quicker Tesla adopts it the better.
Just to play devils advocate, it's not the adopted standard in Europe and elsewhere...

That said, I'd far rather the car had a 'standard' J1772 connector than the proprietary Tesla connector.... at least then we could buy the connectors at sensible prices and build Mennekes to J1772 converters or whatever we need.

OK, am I the only one that thinks this adapter cable is a really dumb idea? ...

Not dumb IMO, more like the best of a bad job. I suspect that there may be other challenges to Tesla converting the car; tooling, regulations, resources, etc.

I'd much rather convert the car and will follow TomSax on that one in the future if Tesla confirms that this is the solution.

I wonder if Tesla has considered a second inlet as a solution, a J1772 on the back or front of the car where it wouldn't affect body panels. Such a place might be the rear valance - low down but fine for occasional use. Could even put it in the trunk and have some outlet for the cable - that would solve the locking questions.

If we could count on 70amp J1772 chargers installed across the country, I'd convert my Roadster ... but I don't believe that will be the case. I suspect most will charge at a significantly lower rate.

I'm loathe to give up the 70amp charging option when traveling, unless Tesla HPCs are converted to J1772 and other J1772 charging points are also 70amp. Until then, adapter for me & I'll go for the best solution wherever I'm at.

(And I'd love to be wrong on this & have everyone say 'told you so'. I could live with that. -smile-)

If we could count on 70amp J1772 chargers installed across the country, I'd convert my Roadster ... but I don't believe that will be the case. I suspect most will charge at a significantly lower rate.

I'm loathe to give up the 70amp charging option when traveling, unless Tesla HPCs are converted to J1772 and other J1772 charging points are also 70amp. Until then, adapter for me & I'll go for the best solution wherever I'm at.

(And I'd love to be wrong on this & have everyone say 'told you so'. I could live with that. -smile-)

If you convert the car to J1772, couldn't you just mount the old Tesla inlet in a box and attach a J1772 cable to it, thus making a Tesla charger to J1772 adapter ?

It seems inconceivably expensive to retrofit the Roadster itself to accept J1772. I imagine that might cost $10k, and it's hard to imagine getting many takers at that price. The adapter cable seems like the right solution. Even in the unlikely event that one gets stolen and I have to buy a second one, I think it will still be cheaper than modifying the car.

Or J1772 in Europe of which there is a fair bit

In other words - I agree with you Kevin - J on the car allows access to both J1772 and Mennekes up to high amps single phase via an available Mennekes to J cable. The idea of mounting a tesla inlet on a box to a J connector fits well into this if you are doing a full J conversion.

Last edited:
You are correct, I should have said for N/A Roadsters. If the standard in Europe becomes Menneke, then that's what they should adopt there (even if they only use one phase).

If you only use one phase it's really better to have a J1772 inlet because with Mennekes you have to supply your own cable, the charging posts are outlet-only with no cable. Thus you carry a J1772-Mennekes cable and can also use J1772 stations with attached cables. With a Mennekes inlet you'd have to bring a Mennekes-Mennekes cable AND a Mennekes-J1772(inlet) cable if you wanted to use J1772 chargers.

A factory supported J1772 conversion would thus be the best option, combined with J1772 cables for conversion of all HPC and UMC units. Mennekes-J1772 cables should be easy enough to get elsewhere.

If you only use one phase it's really better to have a J1772 inlet because with Mennekes you have to supply your own cable, the charging posts are outlet-only with no cable. Thus you carry a J1772-Mennekes cable and can also use J1772 stations with attached cables.

I forgot about that. Well there you go, there really is no reason for Tesla not to transition to J1772. Maybe they have thousands of their proprietairy plug they want to get rid of? Enven so, I still think they should move to J1772 - yesterday!

No. The car end in Europe should have a J1772 connector. The model is that with a Mennekes EVSE there is just a socket at the EVSE. The driver carries a cable in the car that has a Mennekes connector at the EVSE end and their car connector at the other end. The standard allows that connector at the car end to be EITHER a Mennekes OR a J1772. So if you have an iMiev or a LEAF that has a J1772 at the car, you can carry in your car a cable that allows you legitimately to plug into a Mennekes EVSE. If you have a car with a Mennekes socket on board (e.g. Renault Fluence) then you can carry a Mennekes to Mennekes. This works because the signalling is all to the same standard. You can even carry a Mennekes to Tesla cable - these exist.

But ideally European Tesla Roadsters would be updated to J1772. Why? because quite a few J1772 stations are going in (e.g. David Peilow saw one on the ferry from Ireland to Wales) and these you could charge from directly using their built-in cable. From a Mennekes station you charge using your M to J cable.

EDIT: I was slow writing this!

12) The previous step unveiled a black inner metal core. This part is screwed into the front metal part. Once again you will have to fight the thread-lock. The only way I managed to get it unscrewed was to hold the black part in a wise (with flat, non marring, jaws!) and, using a copper rod as a punch, hit the small locating tab (it held the grey plastic core in place).

Hi,

I am trying to open to open the last part of the Tesla plug. Is the screw-thread clockwise or counter-clock wise?

It seems inconceivably expensive to retrofit the Roadster itself to accept J1772. I imagine that might cost $10k, and it's hard to imagine getting many takers at that price. The adapter cable seems like the right solution. Even in the unlikely event that one gets stolen and I have to buy a second one, I think it will still be cheaper than modifying the car.

We'll see how Tesla prices the adapter, but I think it's cheaper to convert the car than it is to buy an adapter. To do a conversion, you only need commodity parts. The J1772 plug is now down to $328.06 and the 75A inlet is $107.06 (each half what I paid a few months ago). Add maybe $100 for a one-off bracket and you've got all the significant parts needed to convert a Roadster and an HPC to J1772. I really don't think the Tesla adapter is going to sell for less than $533, plus you don't have to worry about an adapter getting stolen if you convert.

If you don't already have an HPC or UMC, you just need the inlet and the bracket for the conversion, then you can buy a 30A J1772 EVSE spending about $1,000 total and you have a converted Roadster and a great overnight home charger for $600 less than the cost of the cheapest 240V charging solution from Tesla.

If you do have an HPC, and can find a buyer who wants to make a 70A mobile connector and will pay you $600 for the 70A Tesla plug (which would be a bargain compared to buying an MC120 and upgrading it to 70A), you can make a net profit converting your car.

Use the original Tesla inlet from your car, plus another $328 and you have a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter that will let you use the tiny number of public HPCs in the wild. Are there any outside of California other than the few in Oregon and Washington?

I'm glossing over some details here, not counting anything for labor, plus doing a really nice job would be more expensive than what I did to our car, but it's nowhere near $10,000. Maybe in six months the cost of the J1772 parts will drop by half again and my prices will all be too high.

If Tesla prices the adapter like they priced the MC240/UMC, conversion will be a hands-down winner.

Tom,
Any plans to make the brackets available to a larger audience?

One of the founders of my company is looking at a Roadster and although I already have a UMC I'm planning to get an HPC as my referral gift if he buys. My plan is assuming the Model S will be J1772 I'll cut off the end of the HPC, install a J1772 end, and use that for our Model S. At that point I might as well convert the UMC and Roadster too that way we could travel w/ the UMC and the Model S. I'm not in a hurry and you're probably right that parts will keep getting cheaper. Thanks again for doing the legwork on this.

Yes, J1772(tm) charging stations are usually 30A.... but there is a 48A J1772(tm) in San Ramon, and a 75A J1772(tm) in Auburn. The new J1772(tm) standard goes up to 80A, and there are cables and connectors available at 75A. The ClipperCreek CS-100 supports the 75A cable and connector.

See http://www.evchargernews.com/regions/ch-tesla-tesla.htm for public Tesla charging stations. Click on the Location Name (LH column) to see the ampacity.