Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Charging Lock - Prevent unauthorizzed disconnection at public charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought once you used "stop charging" from the touchscreen, the button changed to "unlock charge port". I confess I haven't done enough J1772 charging to have this built into muscle memory, though.

Hey Flash, I wish that were true. It changes to Stop Charging, then Start Charging, and then it alternates (in 4.5).
In all cases, with any button push or removal of power from the charger, it still doesn't unlock the port.

8 (

Quick update - Still no feedback from Tesla, so we are going to have to cancel our trip to TESLIVE. Our other products are not far enough along for a demo table, so we just won't get the bang for the buck.

Sorry we won't get to meet you all.

David

I think you should still go and present your case and product to Elon to create a developer community and be more interactive about changes.

If the developers at Tesla knew about your product they could have added a simple extra button to still allow a disconnect. Would have taken them 5 minutes to code upfront - now it will take months to fix.

I think you should still go and present your case and product to Elon to create a developer community and be more interactive about changes.

If the developers at Tesla knew about your product they could have added a simple extra button to still allow a disconnect. Would have taken them 5 minutes to code upfront - now it will take months to fix.
This is a great point, David. You'll be front and center with the people at Tesla who can make a difference and bypass the multiple levels of resistance you're meeting by going through Tesla. I understand about the cost involved though...

This is a great point, David. You'll be front and center with the people at Tesla who can make a difference and bypass the multiple levels of resistance you're meeting by going through Tesla. I understand about the cost involved though...

As I said before, please keep my payment and use that to cover your costs to go to Teslive. I agree with others here that its a good opportunity for you to meet the right people at Tesla.

Great feedback, all. But, we decided that with no real product available for sale, we would be wasting time and money at TESLIVE. It breaks my heart, but it's the way things are.

We are working on two other impending products, but they weren't ready enough for TESLIVE.

An update: I have been in touch with Customer Experience reps who are in talks with SW engineering about possible updates that might reinstate the 'disconnect' or 'unlock' buttons inside, allowing CapturePro to come back to the market. That would be nice, but I don't have any schedule yet, and my expectations are being kept reasonably low for now.

As soon as I know more, I'll be happy to report on it.

David

An update: I have been in touch with Customer Experience reps who are in talks with SW engineering about possible updates that might reinstate the 'disconnect' or 'unlock' buttons inside, allowing CapturePro to come back to the market. That would be nice, but I don't have any schedule yet, and my expectations are being kept reasonably low for now.

As soon as I know more, I'll be happy to report on it.

David

Really glad to hear that!

I'm assuming there are no updates yet on this? With 5.x firmware being available soon (assuming new orders with cold weather packages, parking sensors, etc will require new firmware) I'm hoping they will re-enable unlocking the charge connector.

How about just use a wire tie (cut it after use) for now until the problem is solved?

That's a good idea. Working for an electric utility, I could probably get my hands on some of these and just keep a pair of side cutters in the car...

Padlock-Seals.jpg