Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

J1772 charging problems - stays @ 0A / doesn't remember max A setting

Problem #1 - When I connect a J1772 EVSE, the vehicle negotiates properly with the EVSE to determine the max current that can be delivered. But it will not ramp up past 0A. Multiple EVSE's, multiple adapters, multiple locations. The only common factor here is the car (Model 3).

Problem #2 - I'm having a hard time getting the max charging rate value to "stick". At home, I found early on that I'll hit an EVSE fault if I charge @ 32A, but 30A works just fine. After one of the recent updates (might've been a pre-V10 update), that setting got cleared, and suddenly I saw that it was showing a different max (can't recall if it was 48A or 32A). I've tried a variety of different things, but I haven't been able to get this to "stick". I set it in the UI to 30A. Then I connect the EVSE & the car then sets the max value to the max negotiated with the EVSE (32A). There are 2 numbers displayed in that UI - one in grey that's the max capability of the EVSE, then the one above it in bold which is the max charging rate I want to use. It's this bold number that is changing even though I'm setting it to something else. I was able to get it to stick on one car, but can't make it happen on a second one (in this case, the second one is a loaner S). Is there some magical series of steps I have to follow? Seems like it's harder than it should be :)

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
I set it in the UI to 30A. Then I connect the EVSE
Is there some magical series of steps I have to follow?
Yes. You have to not do it in that order. ;)
If you are turning it up and down while you are not plugged into anything, that isn't "setting" anything. It has to be charging when you set the amps for it to establish a memorized value for that location.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC