Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current trip notwithstanding (used a Chargepoint L2 in Kirkland WA yesterday because there are no Superchargers in the Seattle area) the reason I use the L2 charge stations at home is so that people see them getting used. The cities went to considerable trouble and expense to install the public charge stations and PEVs are still rare in my remote part of Colorado so I view using them as educating the public about the existence of EVs. And I know the people behind the charge station installations appreciate it because I have spoken with them.

So, no, I don't really need to use J1772 plugs to get around; even a 50% charge is plenty for my daily driving.

You in Ouray? Last year I took the highway from Durango (public charging at the transit terminal) to Telluride (HPWC at a swanky hotel) through Norwood and up to La Sal Junction on my way to Moab. What a wonderful drive!

My current trip notwithstanding (used a Chargepoint L2 in Kirkland WA yesterday because there are no Superchargers in the Seattle area) the reason I use the L2 charge stations at home is so that people see them getting used. The cities went to considerable trouble and expense to install the public charge stations and PEVs are still rare in my remote part of Colorado so I view using them as educating the public about the existence of EVs. And I know the people behind the charge station installations appreciate it because I have spoken with them.

So, no, I don't really need to use J1772 plugs to get around; even a 50% charge is plenty for my daily driving.
Once in a while--for me that amounts to once in 70K miles--a J1772 can be a real timesaver. Twin chargers have helped me far more often than the J1772 adapter.

You in Ouray? Last year I took the highway from Durango (public charging at the transit terminal) to Telluride (HPWC at a swanky hotel) through Norwood and up to La Sal Junction on my way to Moab. What a wonderful drive!
Yes, I am in Ouray County. I drive that back route through Paradox Valley and La Sal to get to Moab and it is a lovely and peaceful drive. I'm surprised that you found such an obscure route; it is little used except by locals like me.

26125486001_5cd6024b5e_c.jpg

^Paradox Valley (Colorado) and the La Sal Mountains (Utah). Moab and Arches National Park are on the far side of the mountains. The "traffic" on the highway is typical: one might see six cars in fifty miles.

If you ever come though again there is a public charge station in the City of Ouray at the Hot Springs Pool. The drive from Silverton to Ouray is very scenic, as is the drive from Ouray to Ridgway and then west over the Dallas Divide (route to Telluride or Norwood). Twenty-five miles north of Ridgway is Montrose, with a public L2 station at city hall and a few miles east of Montrose is Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park; it is a bit off the beaten track and less visited, as national parks go.

On my list of things to do is making a thread of places to visit while Supercharging in eastern Utah, western Colorado and the Four Corners area.

I am a new S owner and I have never charged it with anything but the superchargers and the charger that came with it. In a month I have to take a long trip where they only have 5 J1772 chargers. I have never used them before. I have read these forums and I know you have to use the adapter and they are relatively slow (about 18 mph). Is there anything else I should know? Should I try to find one locally before I go to make sure the adapter works and I won't have an issue?

I have a chargepoint card but these are free chargers with no network.
I would definitely have a back up plan. Many of the non Tesla chargers will not work when you get to them. The upkeep is just not there.

Reactions: Tree95