TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

J1772 Combo at Ikea

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Blu-Ion, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Blu-Ion

Blu-Ion Member

I was at Ikea in Ottawa and wanted to try a public charging station

They have 2 J1772 ports, but they were both "Out of Order"... great!

They also had 2 J1772 Combo ports available, but I couldn't fit the J1772 adapter.

[​IMG]

They also have Chademo

So all these connector types, limited number of stalls and some out of order... not good and very confusing

Was I doing something wrong? Can I fit the Tesla J1772 adapter on a Combo?

• Informative x 1
  2. akidesir

akidesir Member

Your above picture is not a J1772 combo.. that's a CCS/SAE DC Fast charging plug which doesn't work with the Tesla Model 3.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Liquidmetal101

One of the J1772 ports has been out of order for a couple weeks now, looks like the other one went down on the weekend.

4. Blu-Ion

Blu-Ion Member

Confused....
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  5. darkenergy

darkenergy Member

The L2 sun country chargers at IKEA are particularly unreliable. Maybe they get more traffic than your typical EVSE...

As a Tesla owner, with a large battery, I would not use the L2 chargers at places like IKEA because I'd be blocking EVs with smaller batteries from recharging. At least that's how I see common courtesy.

• Like x 7
  6. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

Say it with me... "free charging is not sustainable". There's no profit motive or even cost recovery opportunity for maintaining the equipment, except for an opaque amenity for a small percentage of Ikea shoppers.

• Like x 2
  7. darkenergy

darkenergy Member

I actually disagree with "no profit motive".

I do preferentially patronize locations where there is charging, so those businesses do benefit from giving me a few cents worth of electricity.

For IKEA, most of their stores have solar panels, so the cost of electricity is basically zero. I've certainly spent an EVSE's worth, or more, in their products and services. So their good will is reciprocated.

Particularly any place with *pay per use parking* should offer "free" charging to their customers. While you could make the argument that there's an incremental cost for the EVSE, I'd counter that a few hundred dollars for a unit is minimally incremental to the thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars the parking spot costs. And at $20-30 per day in some office buildings, that's a profit center if I've ever heard of one.

I'll definitely stop at wineries with chargers. I certainly spend way more than the power they provide, and definitely enough to cover a service call.

Staying at B&Bs with chargers? Yup, pays for the unit, maintenance and electricity. So that pulls in EV business.

At least presently EVs tend to be owned by people with more disposable income. Most businesses would love to know how to preferentially attract that kind of patron. Install an EVSE for your customers.

Lastly, i'd comment that EVSEs, particularly L2 units, are quite simple. Relay, GFCI, microcontroller. If the unit fails a lot, it is a bad design. Industrial equipment of similar complexity operates for years without problems. The market will fix that problem.

• Like x 7
    • Disagree x 1
  8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Regardless of what you call it, it is a DC Fast Charge plug, not a L2 AC plug.

Tesla Model S, X and 3 are compatible with the L1 and L2 J1772 plug and the S and X only are compatible with the CHAdeMO plug if you have the Tesla adapter. Currently the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter does not work with Model 3.

9. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Say it with me... "free apps are not sustainable"

Oh yea, the freemium model has proved to be very profitable.
    While I'm waiting at IKEA, I may as walk around, and that's cute, I need one. chaching.

• Disagree x 2
  10. Blu-Ion

Blu-Ion Member

Actually its both AC (J1772 on top) and DC (that part underneath) as per my understanding, except our Model3 adapters don't fit because of the plastic between the J1772 and DC portion of the plug

11. wayner

wayner Active Member

I don't know that you can say that the cost of electricity is zero. The solar panels earn revenue, especially if they are part of the Ontario FIT program. But IKEA must then pay the local utility for any and all kWh that the chargers use. It is not like the energy from the solar panels is going directly to the chargers - it is going back into the grid.

• Like x 2
  12. wayner

wayner Active Member

This isn't exactly accurate for the Telsa combo plug, is it? That is the same plug that a SC uses and an SC does more like 300 miles per hour of charging. A home HWPC does the 50-70 miles per hour that they show in the diagram.

13. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

No, it’s not a particularly accurate illustration of charging rates, even for J1772 Combo (also known as CCS or Combined Charging System) or CHAdeMO. Both CCS and CHAdeMO can charge 80+ miles in half an hour not 50-70 miles in a full hour. And that’s on older widely existing chargers.

14. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

The top part of a J1772 Combo (AKA CCS) is normally used for AC charging by itself. On DC chargers, the top part is only used for the signaling and ground pins and the AC pins are typically not even present.

Although it is not the case today, in the future there could be a higher-power AC charging extension standard that uses the extra two bottom pins on the J1772 Combo plug for AC.

15. realtycoon

realtycoon Member

I don't follow the logic. It's free power, if a stall is open, I'll use the free charging that they are offering their patrons, and sometimes will chose over a competing business because they provide free charging.

If anything, a Model S or X shouldn't be using these as they can use the Superchargers at no charge.

• Like x 1
  16. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

Free charging does not equate the "freemium" model. Freemium involves paying a premium once you've outgrown the "free" option and wish to subscribe to a premium feature or service.

And @darkenergy - there is nothing free about energy from solar panels, except that the "fuel" is free. Solar power costs are almost 100% capital costs, but are still costs. And energy consumed by EV charging could have been sold to the grid... that opportunity cost is a cost indeed.

• Like x 3
  17. plumazul

plumazul Member

The J1772 standard is good for 19.2kW and can be used at that rate with some Teslas. I don't think there is any need/demand for anything higher. Most (all except Tesla?) manufacturers don't use this max spec.

18. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Unlike ChaDeMo, the beauty of the CCS combo port on the car is that the top accepts the standard J1772 AC chargers as well as the full CCS DC chargers so it technically can do both. With ChaDeMo, there's a separate port for AC and DC charging.

It's a good thing the Tesla J1772 adapter doesn't fit because it wouldn't work anyway and, even if it did, it probably couldn't handle the 50kW+ that the CCS stations put-out.

19. pcons

pcons Support Movember: https://mobro.co/13874276?mc=1

I am pretty sure the combo plug top portion is not used to transfer energy to the car, just the ground and pilot pins are used to communicate with the car. This connector is for DC fast charging, so bypasses the onboard charger in the car (the AC/DC converter). The dcfc only supplies DC energy to the connector, so why would you think an adaptor would work with it? The adaptor that comes with the car is only for j1772, not j1772 combo, which is totally different....

20. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

And even the Model 3 is now limited to 12kW.