Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Extension cord with tesla plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that are interested in what else to take for your Model X travel kit for long trips. I met with Rush the owner of TucsonEv (J1772 Adapter | Home) and had him make me a J1772 extension cord. I had him make a 5 foot with the tesla plug (see picture) and a similar but longer 20 footer. The 5 footer cost $175 and the 20 footer cost $215. Both came in handy during our trip to Tucson which has no super chargers. I didn't have to fumble with the tesla adapter and was able to charge if a ICE vehicle was blocking EV charging space. Rush was a great person to talk to and great product. I have no business connection with him.
PS: the auto charging port opening function does not operate with these extension cords

Attachments

• IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 295
I just saw this post and am interested in a similar device. I could use one of my J1772 extension cords but I wanted to this device to stay locked to the car in case someone wanted to unplug me. When I made up my J1772 extension cords I had to tweak some things in the J1772 handle on the extension so that the proximity and other signal passed through the extension. Does anybody know if the Tesla plug needs to be similarly modified? I already have access to a Tesla plug but if that won't work I hope I can get TusconEV to make me one like he did for @pth28
For those that are interested in what else to take for your Model X travel kit for long trips. I met with Rush the owner of TucsonEv (J1772 Adapter | Home) and had him make me a J1772 extension cord.

TucsonEV is making one up for me. There are a number of free chargers in my little California beach town. The one near my favorite coffee shop is so short the cord could be a trip hazard and the side loading of the handle causes it to ocassionally quit.

Reactions: GSP