Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 maximum charge speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere that L2 J1772 charging maximum theoretical speed is almost 20 kW, every time I've used one, it always maxes out at 6kw. Has anyone used a L2 that charges more than that? I get that you can't do the full 20kW because the on board charge maxes out at 12kW, but.... 6kW leaves a lot of charging on the table.

Any L2's more than 6kW?

Any L2's more than 6kW?

Yep;

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 7.06.59 PM.png

Let me google that for you - "j1772 maximum charging amperage"

First hit says 80 amps is the maximum it supports. That could be either at 208V (16.6 kW) for a commercial site with 3-phase power or at 240V (19.2 kW) for a residential site with single phase power.

Many public stations are configured with 32 or 24 Amps because that allows them to use much thinner/cheaper wire. Older Model S and Model X had a dual charger option that supported the full 80 Amp the spec allowed as shown on nwdriver's screen grab. Current Tesla vehicles max out at 48 Amps. The Rivian R1T and Ford F150 Lightning will both support 80 Amp charging due to their large batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a 40 amp (9.6 kW) J1772 station in my garage. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You is a nearby public station that runs at 48 amps (11.5 kW) and happens to be mounted on a 52 kW solar carport. Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA documents the installation of the 141 J1772 80 Amp stations installed at Cal Tech. They're out there, but many placed go cheap with the low amperage sites because that's all that was required to apply for grant money in the past.

ClipperCreek EV Charging Stations | Reliable, Powerful, Made in USA used to have 80 amp stations, but they look to top out at 64 amps now. https://www.wattzilla.com sells 80 amp stations. EV Charging | PowerFlex sells the stations that were developed and installed at Cal Tech.

Reactions: AlexHung
I actually would argue that slower is probably better for the grid as a whole, and cost wise.

Commercial power has peak current draw fees (based on KW, not KWh), and the more/faster chargers you have, the easier it is to rack up the costs.

I have 2x 80amp wall connectors at home, each of our Tesla's are limited to 48amps charging, but I regularly set them in the 20-24 amp range to stay within our solar production output.

For hotels, and a lot of other destination chargers, I am happy as long as I can get a 90% charge in 8-10 hours. More than that is way overkill and increasing costs. I am generally OK even with a 120V 15A outlet to avoid loss, and gain some miles over night.

If you need faster, metro, long distance, V3, and other DC fast charging solutions exist.

-Harry

Reactions: AlexHung
  • Informative
Reactions: swaltner