Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 to Tesla Charging Adapter Issue - Charge Interrupted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have 2018 Performance Model 3. I had been using the Tesla 240v portable charger to charge my car. In the Fall my with bought a RAV4 Prime so we needed a different charging solution to charge both cars. I bought a new J1772 charger and started regularly using the J1772 to Tesla Charging Adapter to charge the Model 3. Recently, my car started getting "charge interrupted" notifications. I decided to change back to the Tesla 240v portable charger to test it and didn't get any errors. Do these J1772 to Tesla Charging Adapters fail over time? Is there one you would recommend that wouldn't fail? I'd love to use my new charger as it is a pain to unplug the 240v from the wall outlet every time. Also the new charger charges the Model 3 faster at 40A instead of the mobile charger's 32a. Thanks for you help!

Jeff

Check to ensure the wire connections are tight, both in the breaker box and in the charger, a fairly common problem. BTW, which J1772 charger did you buy?
The connections are all solid. This is the charger I bought:

LEFANEV 40 Amp EV Charger Level 2,(NEMA 14-50, 40A/25ft,220V-240V,9.6KW) Portable EVSE Electric Vehicle Charging Station for SAE J1772 Electric Cars (40A)​

If you want to use the Tesla mobile connector for both cars, you could get something like the Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter which would allow you to charge your RAV4 Prime. We have Tesla wall connectors to charge our cars, but when a friend visits in his Chevy Spark, he is able to plug in and charge using our Lectron adapter.
Thanks for the alternate idea! As I've already invested in the other charger I would rather go the other way and have an adapter for my Tesla. It also charges the Tesla faster than the mobile connector.

Thanks for the alternate idea! As I've already invested in the other charger I would rather go the other way and have an adapter for my Tesla. It also charges the Tesla faster than the mobile connector.
If you want to use the LAFANEV EVSE, the standard Tesla J1772 adapter should be reliable. I have heard of a few that had issues over the years but I used one for years at work and never had an issue. It's possible your EVSE is having issues and is reducing (or stopping) charging. You might check with LAFANEV and see if they can help.