TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Jack may need some adult supervision...

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by kennybobby, Nov 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. kennybobby

kennybobby Member

#1 kennybobby, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  2. GSP

GSP Member

Glad no one was hurt.

Overcharging a Lithum battery should not be possible, IF the proper precautions are taken. Every battery should have a BMS and seperate contactors for HV positive and negative. The BMS should be designed so that the contactors open before any cell gets overcharged. The design needs to insure this will happen even when there is any failure in the BMS, wiring, or contactors.

This basic engineering is in every factory EV, and it should be in all conversion EVs as well.

Of course, we don't always have things as they "should" be, but this situation could be fixed.

GSP

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I wish things were that simple, as I have seen several cells fail one almost dangerously, as it half melted, due to BMS failures. So yes maybe with the right BMS, but there is junk out there and some of that junk is the BMS itself.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

"Jack may need some adult supervision"...and a bit more respect for the importance of a functional BMS.