Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jack Mode and tire replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting new tires soon for the first time since ownership of my P85. It has air suspension. Understand "jack mode" needs to be engaged (or does it?). Do you remind tire shop, do it yourself at tire shop, let them worry about it? Any other "reminders" to tire shop?

Last edited:
DO NOT TRUST THEM

• First put the car in standard height, as it might scrape the ramps on the hoist on low
  • Either you, or ensure they, put it in jack mode: Yes, it needs to be in jack mode. see below.
  • Ensure they are jacking it up on the jack points. I have 4 hockey pucks in the trunk for this reason, I rotate from summers to winters myself, and usually I just take the alloys in for new tire changes, but sometimes I have them do it if I feel comfortable with them
  • And ensure they don't put the wheel on improperly: That is a quick non-star pattern with an air gun; this causes rotors to go out of true (warped) The best way of course is by hand, but what high volume shop does this? They don't care if your rotors get high spotted, and they know you can never prove it was them who caused it.
  • You don't really have to take the car out of jack mode when done, it will cancel it automatically when you start driving
  • And if you have a P car like mine, they might look in the door jamb and set the tire pressure to 40-42 psi, instead of 45 (if you removed the 21" wheels and put on the 19" ones.)

Why Do Brake Rotors Warp? | BuyBrakes.com Blog

Solved: The Mystery of Warped Brake Rotors

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 6.58.07 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: rducharme