TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Jack mode for ferry ride?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jmsurpri, May 31, 2016.

1. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

Taking first longish trip from Portland OR to Victoria BC. There's a 90m ferry ride in between. Should I enable jack mode during the ferry ride? I guess the main issue is if the car will continually try to self level with the motions of the ferry. I've read conflicting posts about whether the car self levels when off, but I have witnessed once where my car leveled itself in my garage so seems like it's possible.

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Very good question. Mine has adjusted in the garage on its own also. However, the SAS does not adjust to driving conditions. It only adjust height based on our input or geo fencing. So this may not be an issue for you.

3. green1

green1 Active Member

It seems to "settle" when parked (after a certain delay) but I'm not convinced that it tries actively to stay level.

4. L.Robinson

L.Robinson Member

Does the self leveling apply to the height of the each suspension point with respect to the wheel axle or to the angle of the surface on which it passes or sits. I think it maintains a constant height with respect to the axle otherwise going up a steep climb or banked turn it'd try to level but run out of range. So a ships pitch and roll should not be an issue if it is axle height. I know from a failure on mine that there is a pot with an arm that provides the height of each suspension point, one on the body and the other on the wheel strut.

5. travwill

travwill Member

I don't think it will try to adjust when parked/stationary in this case. Worst case, just turn it on and it definitely won't - takes like 2 seconds to turn on and off and won't hurt it at all being disabled.

6. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

On the ferry now. The owners manual mentions several times that self leveling can happen with the car off so I enabled jack mode. I wish I were allowed in the loading area so I could turn it off to see if it actively levels. This ferry sure is rock'n and roll'n.