Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jack Pad Confusion - is round or rectangular better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking of buying some jack pad support tools, in case I need the car lifted at a non-Tesla service location (e.g. after a tire blow-out). I'm finding two basic designs, each with slightly different materials or finishes.

Basically, there are

- Round ones with one post and a rubber o-ring to hold it in place.
- Rectangular one with three posts and magnets to hold them in place. These seem to mimic the shape of the plastic jack pad cover.

The round ones seem to be a lot less expensive, and are even offered as a set of four in a neat storage case for around $100.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each design. Does it even matter for occasional use?

I asked the local (Salt Lake) service center to show me how to change a tire on my S.

They were very accommodating (not unusual for them) and had a couple of their service personal show me in the car park the whole procedure using my car.

Pretty straight forward and very much like other vehicles I've owned. But the one thing they suggested I do is get rid of the jack pad I thought I needed. They said they don't use or recommend them. They said just use a jack with a head that's slightly smaller than the rubber pads under the car that the jack contacts. Also said to be sure to only contact the pads and be certain not to contact the underside of the battery.

BTW, by "jack pad" I am referring to a piece that some put on top of the jack head and is supposed to press up against the rubber pads under the car.

No experience with the round ones. From my thinking, I believe the rectangular ones would be better.
Weight is evenly spread out. I made my own using one of our forum members instructions.

I also made a pdf file that you can just print and place on top of your wood to get the right locations on where to drill. It takes measurement out of the equation.

I attached the file. Just drill at the cross hairs inside the circles.

Total cost maybe $7?. I made a few extra and have used them quite a bit to lift my car up for extended periods while I painted my calipers.

Attachments

• Tesla Model S Jack Pad.pdf
    93.3 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: IchDochNicht