Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jack Pads Needed in Fairfax, VA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery MY next week!

For those in NOVA: what is your experience with local garages -- specifically: for tire rotations and annual safety inspections, do I need a set of jack pads?

Or are there enough Teslas in the area that most shops have them now?

I would have a set just incase. I have not had an issue with the tire shops in the area. I get my tires at Virginia tire. I've had flats fixed at G&C and Craftsman Auto, as well as state inspection. We have one set of the pads for five Tesla's. Have never used them yet, there for just piece of mind. You never know.

There are threads on the local tire shops and inspections.

Parkway Shell on Burke Center Parkway (5751 Burke Centre Pkwy, Burke, VA 22015) has a lot of experience inspecting Teslas and does the inspections for a lot of cars. The service center at Tyco Road now has the ability to do inspections as well (they didn't used to). I do not have a set of jackpads.

I was told by my local state inspector that about 8 months ago Virginia law changed so that jacking a car up and taking a wheel off is no longer required if the car has "open wheels" so the inspector can see and measure the brake pad thickness. I looked at the Motor Vehicle Inspection Manual (effective 1 Sept 2019), and on page 55 it states " NOTE: If the vehicle is equipped with wheels that do not allow visual access to the braking system, the inspected wheels shall be removed." Just had my 2012 P85 and 2017 X100D inspected and they did not even put the car on the lift because he could inspect the pads and such with the car sitting on the ground.

Talk about this topic and my son gets a flat.:mad: Virginia tire got us replacement tires on the 3 and out the door for his trip.

I have been hearing stories that the tires are in short supply. M buddy in SC wound up waiting 3 days for the 21" performance tires.

I have a set and told the mobile wheel repair guy to use them when he came to fix some curb rash. I had one tire rotation at 12.5k at a normal tire shop and forgot to mention it to them but they were really high volume and familiar with Tesla.

On Model 3 they can take the aero caps off and don’t need to jack it up to inspect the brakes but always confirm with them when you go in as they may not be familiar with Tesla. My two inspections thus far have taken all of about 5-10 minutes each. Theres not a whole lot to check on a Model 3.

Last edited: