TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Jack Points

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Tam, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Model S and X have rectangular lifting pads with 3 holes and they are located on the outer edge.

Model 3 Jack Points look different (triangular with 1 hole?) and they are not located anywhere near the outer edge but rather more inward.

Would anyone please take a picture because the drawing is too 2 dimensional.

[​IMG]

• Helpful x 1
  2. Murphy’s Law

D9394752-8431-4D0D-A549-4EF2B8E4DECA.jpeg C4A5A1A5-6B77-4547-981B-58A13363CCCF.jpeg 9B616366-CCEC-41C6-8FB1-A0A0650468CC.jpeg 1F5B55E5-DEB9-4754-BC16-49BB4046293B.jpeg [here yah go, yes the 3 has a completely different jack point area, no clue why they couldn’t just stay constant but yah it took me a while to design a jack pad adapter for the 3.
    Available next week.

QUOTE="Tam, post: 2428475, member: 11118"]Model S and X have rectangular lifting pads with 3 holes and they are located on the outer edge.

Model 3 Jack Points look different (triangular with 1 hole?) and they are not located anywhere near the outer edge but rather more inward.

Would anyone please take a picture because the drawing is too 2 dimensional.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

• Like x 1
  3. Murphy’s Law

Here’s a better view 4AFD6243-7609-4437-BD3B-3032A2272B71.jpeg

4. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

5. Murphy’s Law

$50-~+ more than likely

6. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

I’ll definitely take one!

7. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

8. Oil4AsphaultOnly

Oil4AsphaultOnly Active Member

9. lairdb

lairdb Member

#10 lairdb, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    These look pretty simple to model -- if you know the measurements you want.

Here's a magnet retention style:
    [​IMG]
    Here's an o-ring retention style:
    [​IMG]
    Need:
    - 3 dimensions for the rectangular part
    - diameter and height for the round part
    - diameter and thickness for the magnet, or cs and id on the o-ring and height to centerline of o-ring

10. miimura

miimura Active Member

Most 3D printers will not make a solid part, they make a honeycomb or other pattern of ribs inside solid sections of the part. This is likely not strong enough to support a car. Now, if you wanted to make a 3D printed shell to put over a steel or aluminum plate, that would work. The "pin" portion could also be 3D printed because it's not supporting any real load, it's just locating the pad on the car.

I purchased the Reverse Logic jack pad for our 3. It looks very high quality and is machined from solid Delrin bar stock. I haven't tried it yet though.

• Disagree x 1
  11. lairdb

lairdb Member

Just depends how you set the fill settings when preparing the model for printing. The product linked above on EBay is clearly FDM-printed.

This image (stolen from this article) shows infill settings of 20%, 50% and 75% in FDM printing:
    [​IMG]

• Like x 2
  12. Garlan Garner

The current version of this product is definitely made on a filament fed 3D printer. Just look at the lines.

I have a 3D SLA printer which is tremendously more accurate and can print stronger repeatable designs.

I'll post some of my creations when I get my Model 3.

13. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I'd really like to know WTF Tesla couldn't make all three cars the same. It's like they were made by three companies. Or one was a bad (you know what I mean) copy. How could the X's jack points not be the same as the S's. Then the 3's are totally different.

What if you own all three cars... you need three sets of these? Man....

I have a set of these for my X, and the vendor (Murphy's) worked with me to get the magnets to work, properly in a second revision and I love them. Great way to get people that aren't experienced with lifting the cars to not make a mistake. Experienced people could use hockey pucks, but these are easier. (No relation except satisfied customer!).

• Like x 1
  14. JC_FTW

JC_FTW Member

Excuse my ignorance please but what are these for? Do you keep in trunk for when you need them or do they mount and you drive around with them?

15. Garlan Garner

You keep one or 2 in the trunk in case you need them.

• Helpful x 1
  16. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

Does anyone have links to low profile jacks or jack stands that work with these?

17. RMGumina

RMGumina Member

I have been told any low profile jack with a 3 ton capacity should be fine... Home Depot has a few.

18. miimura

miimura Active Member

Stands are more of a problem because you have to jack and support from the same place. I know of two solutions.

[​IMG]

RennStand
    Jackpoint Jackstands

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. thesteve

thesteve Member

Will Costco tire mess up the jack mount placement? I've seen some mashed up mounts from people taking delivery with damage. Any way to ensure tire shop lifts the car properly?