TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Jack rating/ Harbor Freight jacks

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Whacker, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Whacker

Whacker New Member

Does anyone have experience using the aluminum floor jacks from Harbor Freight with the M3?

The 1.5 ton jack is significantly cheaper than the 2 ton and up jacks. I have no idea how to calculate the load when most of the weight will be on the remaining 3 tires.

I'm looking to lift the car just enough to remove one wheel at a time so that I can place dynamat under the existing wheel well trim.

Thanks

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I have the 4ton one they work fine

3. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Lifting a beam on one end requires half the force of lifting it from the middle. I'll guess that lifting a corner of a car is less than half. However, the jack point is not in the corner, and pictures of a jack use on one point show a good fraction of one side of the car being raised.

So I estimate half the weight, way under 1.5 tons

• Informative x 1
  4. SSedan

SSedan Member

The car is so stiff I think you will find you do lift two tires at once, maybe not enough to remove both but enough I would use half the vehicle weight as above.

5. Pied

Pied Member

The 3 ton heavy duty low profile jack is much better. The 1.5 aluminum will work fine but it felt like the jack was struggling a little lifting a car that was almost 4k lbs. I have used it on a Lexus ISF which is ~3800lbs

• Informative x 1
  6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

OP yah get the bigger one and use a 20% coupon .. u also get free scissors this week at harbor freight :eek::oops:

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Definitely get the biggest one practical. Small jacks really suck.

8. nam33r1

nam33r1 Member

I used the 1.5 AL jack when i installed my hitch. It lifted the corner good enough but i was feeling like I wish I had a 2 ton jack

9. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

This thread made me think of the little jack that is bundled with cars that carry a spare. Compared to that thing the 1.5T jack from Harbor Freight is a monster.