Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jack size for Model S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As winter is approaching and it's getting close to time to switch tires, what's the recommended size for a jack? Do you need something more than 2 tons, or does it make any difference given that it's pretty much only for changing the tires?

All About Car Jacks and Stands | YourMechanic Advice

"It is always wise to be cautious when using a jack. If the vehicle to be lifted weighs 2 tons, use a jack that is rated for at least 2.5 tons. Never use a jack on a vehicle that is over its rated capacity."

Model X GVWR is 6,788 lbs or more than 3 tons (3.394 tons)

Model S GVWR is 5,710.00 lbs or less than 3 tons (2.855 tons)

OK, so I went to check the tools to do a changeover this weekend. What size wrench is needed? I'm measuring 1" (25/26mm) as opposed to the 21mm that I've seen suggested for a Model S? Am I missing something - like is there some kind of metal cap on top of the lug? Any suggestion for cap pullers if that's the case?

OK, so I went to check the tools to do a changeover this weekend. What size wrench is needed? I'm measuring 1" (25/26mm) as opposed to the 21mm that I've seen suggested for a Model S? Am I missing something - like is there some kind of metal cap on top of the lug? Any suggestion for cap pullers if that's the case?
They have a plastic cap over the lug nut, just lightly pry it off with a small screw driver. Once you do it a few times the covers come off really easy. The lug nut is a standard size on most cars.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
...What size wrench is needed?...

21mm for S, X, and 3

...cap...

Yes.

You can get a $6.99 tweezer to pull the caps out or you can buy a $6.99 whole set of tweezer and 20 caps for Model 3 (which should work for all S, X, and 3 since they all have the same 21mm nuts).

You can also use a long nose plier. I would avoid using a flat screwdriver because it might scratch the shiny cap.

Just tried using a new 2-1/2 ton (=5,000 pound) rated jack to change a front model X75D (5,185 lb GVW) tire. Very hard to lift. Afraid the jack is gonna break. Prior posts on this thread make little sense; I only want to lift one side - less than half the GVW - I'm not putting it under the center of gravity to lift the whole car, as is otherwise implied in this thread, so what am I missing??

Sorry for the stupid question here, but... have you jacked a car up before? Your jack is fine (assuming it’s in fine working order) to use. Even lifting one corner is no cakewalk, ie still takes so effort on your part to push down on the handle each time, esp as the tire no longer make contact with the floor.

Just tried using a new 2-1/2 ton (=5,000 pound) rated jack to change a front model X75D (5,185 lb GVW) tire. Very hard to lift. Afraid the jack is gonna break. Prior posts on this thread make little sense; I only want to lift one side - less than half the GVW - I'm not putting it under the center of gravity to lift the whole car, as is otherwise implied in this thread, so what am I missing??

1) are you placing the jack under the recommended spots?! If not, you can do damage, especially if you try it under the battery pack. Spots are just aft of the front wheel and just ahead of the rears where there's 3 holes in a line. There's pucks people put in there for placement available on Amazon if you don't have them.
2) Lifting half a car isn't easy. I think that people would put a jack stand under one corner, then lift the other in order to achieve what you're trying to do. The 2.5 ton has no problem with that.

Please consult the manual - and probably Youtube as there's plenty of videos out there demonstrating how to do it all.

Reactions: Tess2222
Sorry for the stupid question here, but... have you jacked a car up before? Your jack is fine (assuming it’s in fine working order) to use. Even lifting one corner is no cakewalk, ie still takes so effort on your part to push down on the handle each time, esp as the tire no longer make contact with the floor.
...Push... down the handle...???

Thanks, @BigNick .

Has anyone found a trolley jack (smaller, easier to handle) that works as well? If so, what size and brand?
You are way overthinking this. I use the same dinky little trolley jack I’ve had for over twenty years and it safely lifts my Model S just fine.
Are you expecting to lift the car with just two-finger pressure’s-worth of effort? What is unstable about it now? Where you jacking it up? Are you using a jack pad adapter? Is the release valve on the jack fully tightened?