Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jack up the fees please!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
IMG_2887.JPG
so I stop off at Oxnard because I need a charge to continue from LA to Santa Barbara and I see this... every car empty. How many are actually traveling, and how many are just out for a Sunday shop at the mall??? I guess I've read about this plenty, but my first such experience. I'm sure some are legit, but not all. People are jerks.

Are you saying some of these cars are not even plugged in.
All plugged in as far as I could see. Problem is that most (if not all) of them were locals out for Sunday afternoon at the mall, and because they have a Tesla and because there are super chargers there, they plugged in. Not because they need a charge. While there I saw 5 spots change hands. Every departure was people with full shopping bags. Every arrival was people who immediately lit out for the mall... some of them with empty reusable cloth bags.

Very crappy idea to put super chargers at malls.

All plugged in as far as I could see. Problem is that most (if not all) of them were locals out for Sunday afternoon at the mall, and because they have a Tesla and because there are super chargers there, they plugged in. Not because they need a charge. While there I saw 5 spots change hands. Every departure was people with full shopping bags. Every arrival was people who immediately lit out for the mall... some of them with empty reusable cloth bags.

Malls are probably a good place to put destination chargers not superchargers. Superchargers should be along major arterial roads with some sort of convenience nearby (cafe, rest rooms).

As they go back and infill, I hope Tesla avoids placing more Superchargers at shopping malls. To be true to mission and minimize opportunity Supercharging, they really should be in travel centers, truck stops, etc.

That said, the fees for idling, and the relative decrease in the proportion of Tesla which have unlimited Supercharging should both help.

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo and Mark Z
I think it was a good idea early on to get people on board, but obviously the situation has changed in LA/SF areas. There have been statements from Tesla about adding more stalls to problematic locations, but that seems to me that it would just encourage more of this behavior. Maybe closing those stations and moving existing stalls to new locations would be better. Not sure if they have any commitment to businesses that would prevent them from doing this.

Reactions: hiroshiy
fee model might backfire. Causing people to think: I'm paying for it, so I can stay there as long as I want.

This may be true for the charging fee. I suspect that if I had a Tesla without unlimited charging, I might not feel guilty about SC'ing locally, figuring that I was paying Tesla what they asked.

The idle fee, on the other hand, is pretty high. I suspect that it will deter most people from leaving their cars parked at chargers after they're done charging.

Reactions: EVSteve
So the Cabazon Outlet Mall is right off the freeway, their chargers ARE highway supercharges.
Yes..Agree it is a mall. Never disputed that fact.

I am saying I don't think this is the optimal solution. There is a high risk of ICEing and use contrary to intention (long distance travel) when you place a supercharger in a mall. By all accounts a supercharger stall costs ~40k, having them misused is a waste of capital that could be used to build out the network where there is a need.

It appears the primary goal for the idle and charging fees is to encourage more effective use of the installed superchargers, increasing availability to more owners.

If the $.40/minute idle fee isn't enough to get people to quickly disconnect, Tesla will likely change the policy.

Doubling per hour may not be ramping the costs up fast enough to have much impact - they'll need to increase the charge rate faster.

Perhaps something like: $.40/minute for the first 15 minutes (with the charge waived if moved in the first 4 minutes), $1.00/minute for the next 15 minutes, $2.00/minute for the next 15 minutes, and $5.00/minute after that. And if cars are left for more than an hour, supercharger privileges are suspended for 30 days.

If someone did leave their car connected for an hour - that would be $125 for the first hour, $300 for each hour after that, plus the risk of losing access to the superchargers for a month.

That should provide enough incentive to move in the first 5-15 minutes...

I also wouldn't be surprised for Tesla to rescind the "idle fee only when busy" policy, because Tesla doesn't have any way to track which charging spots are actually available. Any spots that are ICEd, not working, or have their access blocked - can't be detected by Tesla. Plus, they really need to get everyone trained to charge - and disconnect quickly.

Another area where they might change the charging policy is to discourage charging for more than what is needed. Since it takes much longer to charge from 90-100%, they could increase the charging fees as the battery gets closer to 100%, to discourage drivers from staying connected longer than they need.

The initial idle/charging policy should be viewed as a prototype, and that we'll see changes to the program as Tesla gets more experience on what is needed to get owners to use the superchargers effectively.