Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jacking the Model S to Swap Wheels -- Some Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

I'm excited to soon be the new owner of a previously-loved 2015 P85DL from my neighbour (who's buying a new P100DL). I've already bought a set of pre-owned black 21" Arachnid wheels that I'd like to install myself after getting the car. I've swapped wheels on my ICE cars plenty of times, but understand some extra caution is needed to protect the battery.

Tools I Already Have -- Torque Wrench, Impact Wrench, Floor Jack

I already have a good torque wrench (for 129 lb/ft) and impact wrench that should do the trick. I also have a 2-ton low-profile floor jack lift that I've used with my ICE cars. I understand that the Model S is a heavy beast at 2142 kg / 4722 lbs / 2.36 tons. If I had to lift the entire car with my jack at once then it wouldn't be sufficient; however, since I'd only lift one corner of the car at a time to swap the wheels, would this be OK?

Jack Lift Point Pads

I've already purchased a set of these DEWHEL Jack Lift Point Pad Adapters from Amazon for $78 CAD that arrived this morning. The description says that they're for the Model 3; however, the product number is the exact same as the one for the Model S sold on the US Amazon site, so hopefully they'll work fine. I don't have the car yet to test them -- has anyone else tried these?

Socket

From what I've read in these forums, it sounds like I'll need a thin-wall 21MM socket. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking of ordering the CASOMAN 1/2- Inch Drive Wheel Protector Impact Socket Set from Amazon for $30 CAD. Does anyone have any experience with this set or recommend another socket set?

Lug Nuts

Should I buy new lug nuts for the black Arachnid wheels? Or do people just put caps on the existing nuts? Any recommendations?

Wheel Paint Touchups

There's some curb rash on the black arachnids that I bought -- is there something that I could use to disguise it a little? Perhaps some kind of touch-up paint? Or maybe even a black sharpie marker? :p

Anything Else?

Are there any other tools or accessories that I should buy before swapping the wheels? Is there anything else that I should know that I've missed?

Thanks!

Sounds like you’re (more than) well prepared.

It’s just a car, with 4 very easy to see well marked jack points. If you have air suspension be sure to set jack mode before you start.

I’ve rotated my own tires a dozen times with nothing more than a floor jack and tire iron.

Not sure if the lugs are different for the arachnids but I doubt it.

Enjoy the new ride. :)

You can buy 21mm deep well sockets that are "mar resistant" from Auto Zone, about $10 US. Come in various sizes. The jack pads for the Model S have three bosses. I think the Model 3 only has one. I do one wheel at time. Jack stands are not necessary. You may want to clean the new rims really well as it is much more difficult after installation. Also check to see if your TPMS's are compatible with your new car before you install the new rims. 2015 will most likely use Gen 2 sensors. Don't remember when the cut-off is between 1-2.

Nut caps are a pain. Get new solid nuts in the color you desire. Many choices on Amazon and eBay. Don't forget a set of wheel locks.

Reactions: VifferFun
You can buy 21mm deep well sockets that are "mar resistant" from Auto Zone, about $10 US. Come in various sizes.

Thanks -- sounds similar to what I linked to on Amazon, except that I could save some money by only buying the socket that I need (rather than a set).

The jack pads for the Model S have three bosses. I think the Model 3 only has one.

That's correct, but it seems like some people simply use the jack pad with one nub/insert place in the centre of the Model S jack point. Hopefully this is OK :)

I do one wheel at time. Jack stands are not necessary. You may want to clean the new rims really well as it is much more difficult after installation.

Good points!

Also check to see if your TPMS's are compatible with your new car before you install the new rims. 2015 will most likely use Gen 2 sensors. Don't remember when the cut-off is between 1-2.

Hmmm -- I never thought of that :S The arachnids already have the TPMS sensors on them, but I'm not sure what year of Model S the Arachnids came from. I hope the TPMS on the wheels is from 2014+! FYI, here is an explanation that I found on the Tesla forums:

Old type TPMS:
Tesla Part Number: 1010938-00-B
Manufacturer and Model: Baolong, model ?
How does one identify a Model S that requires it?
VIN/Production date, VIN < P50900 (before ~ 9/2014)

New type TPMS:
Tesla Part Number: 1034602-00-A
Manufacturer and Model: Continental, model ?
How does one identify a Model S that requires it?
VIN/Production date, VIN > P50900 (after ~ 9/2014)

Both TPMS types:

1. How can one identify which TPMS is mounted in a wheel and tire?
You cannot visually identify [externally] which TPMS is installed.

2. What reaction does a new/old MS have to the older/newer TPMS?
Model S will not sync with the incorrect TPMS and will not be able to report air pressure.

Nut caps are a pain. Get new solid nuts in the color you desire. Many choices on Amazon and eBay. Don't forget a set of wheel locks.

Good point -- I'll try to see what I can find!

Good news -- the previous owner of the Arachnid wheels had a 2016 Model S, so the TPMS sensors should be compatible with my 2015 :)

In terms of the lugnut caps, most of the sets that I've seen for sale on Amazon (like this set) come with a tweezer tool to remove the caps.

I can't seem to find any black lugnuts for sale on Amazon that would be a guaranteed fit for the 2015 Model S, and from what I understand Tesla would simply use the lug caps rather than replacing the lugnuts. I don't mind dealing with the lugcaps as long as they fit well and don't fall off. I'll see if I can get a set directly from Tesla. From their description of the Arachnid Wheels, it says the following (but I can't find them in the online store):

Lug nuts and lug nut covers sold separately

You can touch up the road rash with paint. If you want to put in more effort, you can sand smooth then paint. More effort yet, fill defects with automotive body filler then paint. The last option can make your wheels look as good as new. There are tutorials on Youtube.