TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Jacking up the car

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by qhduong, Aug 10, 2018.

1. qhduong

qhduong Member

Hi, I am planning on painting my calipers with G2 paint kit. What kind of jack or stand should I use to lift the car up? First time doing this :). Thanks!

2. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

This can go in so many directions....you can obviously buy a lift. There's a lot of good ones. You can also use a floor jack and jack up one corner at a time or do all four and place them on stands. (to clarify, I recommend stands for one corner at a time as well) Any floor jack will do as long as long as it's rated for the car. Our car weighs over 5000lbs so a 3 ton jack is best. You can get away with less capacity at your own risk since you won't be lifting the entire car at the same time. Jack stands, same thing. Get ones that are rated to hold the car.

You can probably go low; but when it comes to lifting thousands of lbs that can crush me; I generally approach it more conservatively.

Here's what I use..
    4 ton Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®
    12 Ton Steel Jack Stands

I have take no shame in needing to bring my jackstands over one at a time...

• Like x 1
  3. lloyds

lloyds Active Member

Make sure you put your car in Jack Mode before doing it. Otherwise, you run the risk of damaging the Air Suspension

• Like x 2
  4. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Don't forget lug tourqe is 129 ft lbs

5. qhduong

qhduong Member

Thanks for all the reply guys! I've decided that it was better to let the pros do it this time... and had it painted at a shop instead.

6. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Wonder if you could raise up the wheel, using the air suspension, like the old Citroen SM

Set the suspension to highest setting.
    Place a block under the jacking point.
    Reset the suspension to lowest sitting.
    The wheel should raise itself up.

Warning. Never tried this myself, just remember older Citroen vehicle changing wheels this way.

7. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

• Love x 1