Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jacking up the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am planning on painting my calipers with G2 paint kit. What kind of jack or stand should I use to lift the car up? First time doing this :). Thanks!

This can go in so many directions....you can obviously buy a lift. There's a lot of good ones. You can also use a floor jack and jack up one corner at a time or do all four and place them on stands. (to clarify, I recommend stands for one corner at a time as well) Any floor jack will do as long as long as it's rated for the car. Our car weighs over 5000lbs so a 3 ton jack is best. You can get away with less capacity at your own risk since you won't be lifting the entire car at the same time. Jack stands, same thing. Get ones that are rated to hold the car.

You can probably go low; but when it comes to lifting thousands of lbs that can crush me; I generally approach it more conservatively.

Here's what I use..
4 ton Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®
12 Ton Steel Jack Stands

I have take no shame in needing to bring my jackstands over one at a time...

Reactions: Kacey Green
Wonder if you could raise up the wheel, using the air suspension, like the old Citroen SM

Set the suspension to highest setting.
Place a block under the jacking point.
Reset the suspension to lowest sitting.
The wheel should raise itself up.

Warning. Never tried this myself, just remember older Citroen vehicle changing wheels this way.