TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Jacking up via suspension?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Jul 26, 2018.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Several threads about the jack points on this car and the adapters to use them. The model 3 only has about 5.5" of clearance below the jackpoints WITHOUT an adapter. Has anyone looked into jacking the vehicle by the suspension? Lower A arm knuckle or somewhere? Just curious if we could get it jacked up via suspension then slip in a traditional jack stand under the jack point?

2. insaneoctane

62 views...

• Funny x 2
  3. insaneoctane

I'm guessing not... .

• Funny x 2
  4. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

LOL. Viewing because I'm interested in the answer.

• Funny x 1
  5. AltLogic

AltLogic Member

#5 AltLogic, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Eastwood tire jacks might raise the car up a few inches to get a jack underneath. More expensive than buying a low profile jack.

You could buy an inexpensive low profile jack. Use it to lift the side you want to lift on the other jack point. That should get the desired lift point higher in the air.

Of course if you have a RWD car you could drive the front wheels up onto some 2x8 pieces of wood and get 1.5” more clearance. Just don’t do this with the driven wheels unless you want to make a projectile.

6. 1.21GW

1.21GW Member

I would use a ramp or use a 2x4 to drive onto before jacking. it will add the extra couple inches you need.

7. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

One option:

Sadly you cannot use an Exhaust Jack:

[​IMG]

-Randy

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 1
  8. insaneoctane

It's not just about clearance, but also about jacking without using the lift points so that they can be used with a traditional jack stand....

9. Who's TM3

Who's TM3 Member

I got the custom jack pads for the Model 3 and plan to use that with my 1.5 ton jack (Harbor Freight) to jack it up at the jack points whenever I need to remove the wheels. I plan on using another 2 ton jack (Harbor Freight) to then jack up the suspension underneath the A-arm where the strut/spring (front/rear) meets. Then I would swap out the first jack and put in jack stands to have the car stable in order to work underneath the car.

Already did the easy part and installed new wheels, today will be installing lowering springs (Eibach). Will document and share on the other thread (Lower the Model 3).

• Informative x 1
  10. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

Interestingly, something similar might be possible with the pickup. Musk has discussed the possibility of including a compressed air port on it, plumbed into the air suspension system's compressor.

11. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

My personal opinion is if you can find a strong bit of frame it would be safe; I've done it with other cars but most have weight considerably less than any Tesla.

The top-of-pic cross member sure looks strong but it's a reach under the car for sure, from the back you have to get past the bumper.

You'd think there'd be some big cross members up front as well..

All said I'm inclined to leaving the jack in place at the battery location and only as backup leaving a jack stand under other parts - way clear of battery..

[​IMG]

12. insaneoctane

That's a photo of the MS. I don't see anything but covers on the M3

13. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Those are from Model 3 teardown but you're right, mine is all buttoned up nice... bummer

14. Who's TM3

Who's TM3 Member

I bet there is areas that can be used to be another jack point but it's call covered up. Jacking up on the a-arm works too.

15. kiwibacoin

kiwibacoin Member

I have a model x but applies here.

I do it all the time.
    Using scissor lift wheb I do my tyres or so I can put car on stands to repair my wheels which I tend to curb every few months.
    American car to big for new zealand roads lol.

Just jack under suspension dont jack the driveunit or it will be a bad day.

16. Allb18c

Allb18c Member

Quickjacks are awesome. Should of bought them years ago... 13c7648c-9c00-4109-9c91-7f9b60179189.jpg

• Like x 1
  17. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

Are the quickjacks lifting the 3 at the designated lift areas? What are you using on the quickjack? I've been looking into these, and would love to hear from someone who is currently using them. Thanks!

18. pandam3

pandam3 Member

Damn... so either I buy a QuickJack for $1500+ to DIY my coilover install or pay a shop to do it for much less.... hmmm yeah I know 1st world problems.

There are alot of times I wish I had a Quickjack for when I service my other cars however...

• Like x 1
  19. SSedan

SSedan Member

The air suspension can not lift a tire. Lofting a tire is very different than raising the car.

20. Allb18c

Allb18c Member

I have the 5000 SLX and the rubber risers (come with the kit) covers the holes on both ends just barely. I’m planning to make some custom wood plates to provide a level plane so I feel more comfortable jacking the car up. I’ll get about 1/2” more distance to work with. I’ve got my wife’s Honda Pilot where this will come in handy also. If you are in the market for this I’d get the EXT version to make it easier to align the holes to the Quickjack.

• Informative x 1