Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jacking up via suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several threads about the jack points on this car and the adapters to use them. The model 3 only has about 5.5" of clearance below the jackpoints WITHOUT an adapter. Has anyone looked into jacking the vehicle by the suspension? Lower A arm knuckle or somewhere? Just curious if we could get it jacked up via suspension then slip in a traditional jack stand under the jack point?
It's easier to just use a 3.5" clearance floor jack and a low profile adapter. For example this Home has this option. Also I understand that these are thin enough, too: Vendor - Model 3 jack pad adapter tire service tool Although cheaper, the later is not the full solution of course.

I'm not sure I'd go around trying to get in under and lift on the suspension or such. That is a recipe for a Bad Day somewhere down the line.

It's easier to just use a 3.5" clearance floor jack and a low profile adapter. For example this Home has this option. Also I understand that these are thin enough, too: Vendor - Model 3 jack pad adapter tire service tool Although cheaper, the later is not the full solution of course.

I'm not sure I'd go around trying to get in under and lift on the suspension or such. That is a recipe for a Bad Day somewhere down the line.
I'm not looking to get under while jacked via suspension....I have conventional jackstands and want to jack up by suspension and lower jackpoint onto jackstand....

I would think these points would be strong enough to jack it up at, but I wouldn't do it unless Tesla said it was ok, in writing. That's where I place the jack stands after I jack the car up, but I don't lower the car down on them all the way. I just have the stands there for safety in case one of the jacks fail.

IMG_0350.JPG

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I have the 5000 SLX and the rubber risers (come with the kit) covers the holes on both ends just barely. I’m planning to make some custom wood plates to provide a level plane so I feel more comfortable jacking the car up. I’ll get about 1/2” more distance to work with. I’ve got my wife’s Honda Pilot where this will come in handy also. If you are in the market for this I’d get the EXT version to make it easier to align the holes to the Quickjack.

Hi, I actually asked this in another thread, how far away are the jackpoints? So the SLX is JUST ok, but you'd suggest the EXT?

Thanks!

I'm not looking to get under while jacked via suspension....I have conventional jackstands and want to jack up by suspension and lower jackpoint onto jackstand....
The issue isn't about getting underneath. Well they are a ways underneath to reach to making it harder to line up and all, but I'm talking about the futzing around jacking on parts that weren't intended for that use, going back and forth (you'll need to switch back and forth to get it under and then again to get it out) and overall greatly increase the likelihood something will slip and damage the vehicle's undercarriage. Damage that will almost certainly Tesla wouldn't cover under warrantee.

The issue isn't about getting underneath. Well they are a ways underneath to reach to making it harder to line up and all, but I'm talking about the futzing around jacking on parts that weren't intended for that use, going back and forth (you'll need to switch back and forth to get it under and then again to get it out) and overall greatly increase the likelihood something will slip and damage the vehicle's undercarriage. Damage that will almost certainly Tesla wouldn't cover under warrantee.
So, I believe this "futzing" was the details that I started this thread looking for... Has anyone found a good spot that would allow me to avoid futzing and cleanly, predictably, and safely lift via suspension.
<sigh>

This is cool and all, but literally 10x over my budget for jacks/stands
If you look into jack/stand combo sets meant for putting cars with limited lift points on stands I think you will be surprised how much they cost.

Jackpoint which are a stand and pad system meant to lower the lifting block into a jack stand are $300 a pair For the stands and pads with no jack, so $600 to safely hold but not lift all 4 corners, have to buy a separate floor jack.

A system like that is the "budget" option unless someone knows of a cheaper one please share.
Otherwise your home options with Jack and stands are all "wrong" since it is rather hard to set the car on stands at the point you lifted from without a dedicated system like Jackpoint is overcharging for.

I wish there was a clean tidy "correct" way to put all 4 corners on stands for $150, till then I use my judgement and experience to get by. Also my tire installer will rotate for free since I bought the tires there.

I wish there was a clean tidy "correct" way to put all 4 corners on stands for $150, till then I use my judgement and experience to get by. Also my tire installer will rotate for free since I bought the tires there.

Do you really want to trust your life and/or your $50k car to a $150 part though? When it comes to being crushed to death or dropping my expensive car, I'm okay with spending a few hundred for stands. I've got pretty okay low profile stands already, I have had a low profile jack that alone cost me more than $150. Just the thought of hearing the car start to slip and knowing you're about to be smashed to death makes me shudder.

I've been toying with the thought of using crossbeam jack adapters and some angle iron for extension to lift two wheels up at once (either fronts/rears or driver/passenger sides) and jack stands under the angle irons bar/beam. of course using those jack pads. sorry no pics, but maybe somebody knows what i'm talking/thinking about. ie. Steel Floor Jack Cross Beam

You can check these out. This is what I am considering buying, along with a low clearance floor jack.

They won't eliminate a clearance issue for a too high floor jack, but they do seem to address the issue of being able to jack at the jack points, and then set the car on jack stands. Unfortunately these guys are way behind. I am on their waiting list.

Home

You can check these out. This is what I am considering buying, along with a low clearance floor jack.

They won't eliminate a clearance issue for a too high floor jack, but they do seem to address the issue of being able to jack at the jack points, and then set the car on jack stands. Unfortunately these guys are way behind. I am on their waiting list.

Home
Yea. I have been on their list a while. That’s why I ended up going with a quickjack. Sure it’s more money, but everyone seems to love their quickjack.

Yea. I have been on their list a while. That’s why I ended up going with a quickjack. Sure it’s more money, but everyone seems to love their quickjack.

Yeah, I would be all over the quickjack if I planned on using it much. Basically I think I will use jackstands once in the first few years of ownership. To jack up the car and paint the calipers on the car. :)