Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jacking up via suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you really want to trust your life and/or your $50k car to a $150 part though? When it comes to being crushed to death or dropping my expensive car, I'm okay with spending a few hundred for stands. I've got pretty okay low profile stands already, I have had a low profile jack that alone cost me more than $150. Just the thought of hearing the car start to slip and knowing you're about to be smashed to death makes me shudder.

The lift being discussed is $1500ish, I quoted someone saying that was 10x his budget. That is where the $150 number came from.

Far as what it cost to support a car, there are a LOT OF floor jack+2 adjustable height jackstand kits on the market for $40-70 that work just fine but they require the stands to be placed under a different point than the jack. The value of the car isn't what they support, the weight is, and people use these under trucks every day. I have used these under my past 42-4700lbs cars and truck weighing more while changing transmissions, suspension components or ring and pinion gears so real time spent under heavy cars supported on kackstands that came in a $50 kit with Jack. Here folks are mostly looking at tire rotation.
The open pocket of jackpoint is going to be more complicated to produce consistently and require better materials and they have their patent process and initial tooling to pay for so I do not expect them to be as cheap as old school saddle stands. Right now though the only justification for $300 a pair is people are paying it. They should be able to make a profit selling a set of 4 for less than a pair goes for.

The lift being discussed is $1500ish, I quoted someone saying that was 10x his budget. That is where the $150 number came from.

Far as what it cost to support a car, there are a LOT OF floor jack+2 adjustable height jackstand kits on the market for $40-70 that work just fine but they require the stands to be placed under a different point than the jack. The value of the car isn't what they support, the weight is, and people use these under trucks every day. I have used these under my past 42-4700lbs cars and truck weighing more while changing transmissions, suspension components or ring and pinion gears so real time spent under heavy cars supported on kackstands that came in a $50 kit with Jack. Here folks are mostly looking at tire rotation.
The open pocket of jackpoint is going to be more complicated to produce consistently and require better materials and they have their patent process and initial tooling to pay for so I do not expect them to be as cheap as old school saddle stands. Right now though the only justification for $300 a pair is people are paying it. They should be able to make a profit selling a set of 4 for less than a pair goes for.

I just threw away a jack from a "$50 kit" because it started leaking after less than 2 years, and about 10 uses. It happened suddenly and without warning. In two days of use it went from, "Oh, there's a little bit of oil under the jack." to having to jack the car, pull the wheel, jack the car and race to get the wheel back on before the car was too low. The jack stands from that kit also made me nervous every time I used them. They look flimsy, and the adjustment teeth needed extreme care to make sure the dog was completely engaged. Even though I did use them I never, ever put myself in a position where I couldn't jump out of the way immediately should I hear something going. My nerves were always on edge whenever the car was off the ground. I used to justify them by saying to myself, "Well, the label says they're rated for 4 tons." But that label wouldn't do me a bit of good with an imprint of the transmission pan on my chest where my heart used to be.

You're right. The value of the car isn't the only thing they support. Your life is being supported, also. The peace of mind that comes from knowing the product that is protecting your life and your tangible assets is worth a little more money, IMO. As soon as I can get my hands on the Jackpoint jack stands I will gladly pay the relatively small premium for a better engineering design and build. And I won't ever let the difference between a "good enough" jack and a quality jack endanger my life again.

But the $50 kit was a jack and 2 stands, the $300 kit is just 2 stands there is a lot of room in between.

I always try to leave ramps under the tires if under a car no matter how hefty the stand. A distant cousin died fighting a stuck bolt under his Mustang mailman found him. Rocked it off the stands, not a stand failure.

I can't think of any reasons for crawling underneath a Tesla. In the past I've crawled underneath my cars to change motor oil, change transmission fluid, locate fuel leaks, and to find an exhaust leak. You might have to get underneath to replace the fluid in the drive unit(s), but it's not really worth doing it yourself. It's a one time fluid change and Tesla's price for doing it is very reasonable.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
But the $50 kit was a jack and 2 stands, the $300 kit is just 2 stands there is a lot of room in between.

I always try to leave ramps under the tires if under a car no matter how hefty the stand. A distant cousin died fighting a stuck bolt under his Mustang mailman found him. Rocked it off the stands, not a stand failure.

Yeah, that's why I like the Jackpoint stands. Absolutely no chance of the stands rocking over. As far as ramps, I much prefer them over jack stands when I can leave the wheels on. The other big thing about the Jackpoints for me is the fact that I don't have to try to find an alternate jacking point for the jack, since I need to put the stand under the actual jack points. I hate putting my jack on places under the car that the manufacturer doesn't specifically recommend.

Reactions: ℬête Noire