Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jag gets in on the "EV's don't have to look stupid" Market.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what is wrong with other manufacturers embracing the viability of making EVs?
nit piking about the cosmetics really doesn't advance the concept of change.
And what is wrong with making a Chevy EV that is as attractive as a Corvette or Jag EV that looks as appealing as one of the many beautiful Jag designs of the past 50 years? Forgive us for being a little skeptical about their commitment beyond producing compliance vehicles.

Reactions: EinSV
And what is wrong with making a Chevy EV that is as attractive as a Corvette or Jag EV that looks as appealing as one of the many beautiful Jag designs of the past 50 years? Forgive us for being a little skeptical about their commitment beyond producing compliance vehicles.
you do realize that a big manufacturer like gm makes cars with many body styles and differing levels of features? some may appeal to you some don't.

I'll reiterate, rather than complain about the cosmetic aspects of what they will be offering we should all celebrate the fact that another "player" understands and wants to participate in the EV revolution.

I'll reiterate, rather than complain about the cosmetic aspects of what they will be offering we should all celebrate the fact that another "player" understands and wants to participate in the EV revolution.

Evidence, including the cosmetic aspects, indicates that they neither understand, nor want to participate. That is precisely the complaint.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: EinSV
I'm glad Jaguar is making an EV that doesn't look stupid.

However, being fair, in 2D pictures, it looks kind of so-so.

But, to keep this in perspective, in 2D pictures, the Bolt looked and looks like an ugly insect. But, in 3D, in person, in real life, with normal customer painting schemes (rather than promo painting schemes), it looks much more normal and less insanely ugly. I had the same experience every time I saw a Bolt up close in person, inside and out. Back to the 2D pictures, and it just doesn't look the same. It reminds me of the way actors look different on TV and in real life.

That's as opposed to the Prius and BMW's that look ugly no matter what.

what is wrong with other manufacturers embracing the viability of making EVs?
nit piking about the cosmetics really doesn't advance the concept of change.
Yeah, interesting observation. My opinion, it speaks a lot to the structure of the industry. The big players (GM, BMW, et al) have a lot riding on the related parts of the ecosystem - the dealers, suppliers, oil industry and all that involves, etc. If they go all-in on EVs, they risk upsetting those businesses, and therefore their own. They believe it is in their interest to maintain the status quo, and GM especially has been very active in doing so (e.g. their legislative involvements). The smaller or niche players have risks there too, but more potential upside if they can upset the market leaders. What, after all, do they have to lose? So, the big players build ugly or impractical cars in the hopes they won't sell, and the others build nice cars in the hopes that they will.

So now the question is, if we (the customers) buy the ugly cars, in spite of their looks, will that encourage more ugly cars? Or will the ugly car makers get the message that it's what's (not) under the hood that really matters, so they better get on board and start making nice looking cars? Or should we only buy the pretty ones? What strategy will be most effective in furthering the transformation to electric?

Yeah, interesting observation. My opinion, it speaks a lot to the structure of the industry. The big players (GM, BMW, et al) have a lot riding on the related parts of the ecosystem - the dealers, suppliers, oil industry and all that involves, etc. If they go all-in on EVs, they risk upsetting those businesses, and therefore their own. They believe it is in their interest to maintain the status quo, and GM especially has been very active in doing so (e.g. their legislative involvements). The smaller or niche players have risks there too, but more potential upside if they can upset the market leaders. What, after all, do they have to lose? So, the big players build ugly or impractical cars in the hopes they won't sell, and the others build nice cars in the hopes that they will.

So now the question is, if we (the customers) buy the ugly cars, in spite of their looks, will that encourage more ugly cars? Or will the ugly car makers get the message that it's what's (not) under the hood that really matters, so they better get on board and start making nice looking cars? Or should we only buy the pretty ones? What strategy will be most effective in furthering the transformation to electric?
This can't be a serious question on a Tesla board. If the big boys want to save their best designs for ICE, the obvious answer is buy a Tesla. For those who believe $35k is still too expensive, they can pick up a depreciated used Model 3 in a couple years. Why settle for ugly compliance cars?

When you leave your car... walking away, and don't look back, and smile. You bought the wrong car. I'd never spend $ on something that's not an attractive vehicle. Or, at least a 'normal looking' vehicle. I swear they go out of their way to ugly up these cars on purpose. You know why I like my S? It looks like a NORMAL CAR. (A sexy car, but a normal car).

And after being in a Bolt for 15 seconds... it doesn't have a snowball's chance against anything Tesla makes. Again, on purpose... If we make all EVs ugly, we can blame consumers! Never-mind it has nothing to do with the drive system.

IMO there's more tolerance, even acceptance, in the EV community towards cars that look different. As long as the design is "form follows function". THE two 'ingredients' for car makers to make the transition to electric drive is to make EVs a lot lighter and more streamlined without sacrificing passenger safety. Then a considerably smaller (and lighter) battery pack will suffice to still score a decent range.

Reactions: jas