Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Jaguar Delivers First I-PACE In U.S. – Owner Not A Fan Of Tesla’s Style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first Jaguar I-PACE in North America has officially been delivered.

Jaguar has delivered the first I-PACE in North America to Mark and Holly Pascarella of Lakewood Ranch, Florida. Both of whom are the loyal customers to the brand.

It’s the first electric car in the family and according to Mark Pascarella, the I-PACE better fits his taste than a Tesla or any premium plug-in hybrids (sounds like confirmation that more conservative interiors find fans too).

“I’ve looked at Tesla in the past and was never impressed with their interiors or looks of the car, but when I saw the I-PACE, I said that’s something I’d like to drive.”

“As I mentioned I’m not a fan of Tesla’s finishes and I haven’t been impressed with any of the luxury hybrids out there.”

Jaguar released a full interview with the first owner in North America, who shares his family’s enthusiasm for the I-PACE and talks about how it’s the perfect car for a busy lifestyle.

Are you excited to take delivery of your new Jaguar I-PACE vehicle?

My whole family is excited! When I told my wife, twin 15 year-olds and 18 year-old, they couldn’t believe we would have the first I-PACE delivered in North America, before the vehicle even goes on sale. They couldn’t believe that it would be at our house, and we’re all just extremely excited to have an electric car and even more excited to have another Jaguar. We’re a Jaguar family.

What other Jaguar vehicles have you owned?

I’ve had two XKR models, an XJ, two F-TYPE vehicles and an F-PACE. I have an F-TYPE right now and my daughter has an F-PACE, so this will be our seventh Jaguar. My F-TYPE R is so much fun to drive. I’ve had it two and half years now, and people turn their head every time I pull up somewhere. They’re always telling me how beautiful the car is. It’s racing red with a black interior and a black top with gorgeous 20-inch wheels. It’s just a beautiful car and with the big supercharged V8, everyone hears you pull up. I wish I had a chance to take it on a racetrack, but I just don’t have the time.

What attracted you to the I-PACE?

When you have a family of five you always need space, so we were looking for an SUV. We’ve always had a seven-passenger SUV, but one of my daughters just went off to college, so now a five-passenger SUV will be large enough. When I looked at the I-PACE I could see that it was a typical first-class product made by Jaguar, with top of the line appointments and great looks. It doesn’t look like a typical SUV, and on top of that, being electric was very appealing. I’ve looked at Tesla in the past and was never impressed with their interiors or looks of the car, but when I saw the I-PACE, I said that’s something I’d like to drive. My wife loved it as well. She’ll probably drive it more than I do because she sells real estate and that’s what she’ll take clients out in. It’s definitely going to be a conversation piece and everyone’s going to be looking at her when she’s driving it around the neighborhood. When we go out to dinner with the family I can’t fit everybody in the F-TYPE so having the I-PACE available, with its space and luxury, will be great. We’ll also use it when we travel to see family during the holidays.

What do you do on the weekends for fun?

We’re a very busy family. The kids are involved in marching band so we go to all their competitions and events. We love to go to the theatre and we love to go out to dinner. We probably eat out 6-7 days a week. I’m a big sports nut, we support our local teams here. We entertain a lot, and we’re constantly on the go, I don’t like to sit still. I love to play golf, I play at least four times a week. Besides my wife and my three daughters it’s my passion.

How much did you know about EV technology before buying the I-PACE?

I didn’t know much about EV technology before buying the I-PACE. I’ve read up online and I love techy stuff. I love computers and the latest audio and visual technology, and I love cars. I’m a car nut.

Have you owned an EV before?

I haven’t. As I mentioned I’m not a fan of Tesla’s finishes and I haven’t been impressed with any of the luxury hybrids out there. The I-PACE will be our first EV and we couldn’t be more excited about it. Especially my kids. Getting the first one in the country is going to be amazing.

Crown Jaguar, in St. Petersburg has been phenomenal for us. The service I get from them is fantastic, and that made a big difference too. They’re 35 miles from my house but I’ve bought six Jaguar vehicles from them including this I-PACE just because of the service level I get from those guys. I trust them and feel good about what they do. I know they’re going to take care of me.

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is proof you're lying. This is the ABRP route for a Bolt, a MUCH more efficient car than the iPace. It must detour through Aspen to make the journey, making it hours longer than the normal I70 trip.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181105-075846.png
    Screenshot_20181105-075846.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 179
Reactions: Skryll
Whatever dude. My 107 EPA Leaf can barely make it to Idaho Springs from Denver when new, but somehow an EV with only twice the range can do GJ to Denver in one go.

You obviously don't know anything about this area or the challenges of travelling within it. There are NOT three stations on the route, there is one that isn't at it's origin or terminus, in Glenwood Springs. READ THE MAP.

There are three accessible stations between Grand Junction and Denver. One station open 24/7 at a dealer in Glenwood Springs. Two stations in Aspen. Aspen requires going off the most direct route, but still facilitates a trip across the Rockies.

Last edited:
ElectrifyAmerica revamped their web-site a week or two ago. https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locations/ has changed to:
Locate a charger | Electrify America

I was teasing, I just thought it was funny the link didn't work.

I was checking them out a few days ago, actually looking for a career change but that's a different story. I knew they were backed by VW but I'm not sure how the funding model works. I also saw they're pretty sparse here on the east coast (I'm in NY). They have a station in Reston, VA where they're based, but nothing between there and New Haven, CT. So if you wanted to travel from NY to DC or Baltimore, there's nothing.

I'd like to get some info on their rollout rate, how that compares to the SC network, or even something like ChargePoint's L2 network.

There are three accessible stations between Grand Junction and Denver. One station at a dealer in Glenwood Springs. Two stations in Aspen. Aspen requires going off the most direct route, but still facilitates a trip across the Rockies.

In a Bolt, not an iPace. This is a thread about the iPace. When you plan a route at 360wh/mi efficiency like the iPace actually has, the route isn't doable at all. There's a reason you refuse to use ABRP, because it tells the truth.

You are correct that a Bolt (not an iPace) could do the Aspen route, though it's very risky - there are only two CCS nozzles in town and PlugShare has shown recent reliability problems with them. That is an incredibly long detour, too - notice how far you've strayed from "it can travel on 70" to "well maybe you'll need to add many hours for a detour". If you value your time and sanity I'd recommend against relying on single nozzle stations.

But you won't post an ABRP route with efficiency set to 360wh/mi, even though I dare you to.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I was teasing, I just thought it was funny the link didn't work.

I was checking them out a few days ago, actually looking for a career change but that's a different story. I knew they were backed by VW but I'm not sure how the funding model works.

The model appears to be that VW HQ fund the roll-out with their Dieselgate penance money, then it's expected to be self-funding once that money runs out. For comparison, Tesla value the Supercharger network at $500 million, and the VW penance money is about $2billion. Potentially this means that the EA networks will be 4 times as large as the Supercharger network before the money runs out.

I also saw they're pretty sparse here on the east coast (I'm in NY). They have a station in Reston, VA where they're based, but nothing between there and New Haven, CT. So if you wanted to travel from NY to DC or Baltimore, there's nothing.

Here's their June 2019 offering - interoperating with Greenlots, SemaConnect and EV Connect. (as published on the 18th of October)
EA-GreenlotsSemeConnectEVConnectMapforJun2019-20181018.png

Here are the locations they had in early October when they had ~15 stations live. Now, about three weeks later, they have about 25 live.
(If I get it done before the 60 minutes edit lock-out, I'll update the map.
EAmap-earlyOct-EVIA-20181105.png

I'd like to get some info on their rollout rate, how that compares to the SC network, or even something like ChargePoint's L2 network.

Their first station went live on 2nd May, and they've consistently rolled out a High Power Charger (HPCs) almost every day since then, and more than one station a week. Last time I counted, they had 25 stations live, with between 3 and 10 HPCs at each station.

Before they revamped the website, they counted out all the live the stations for you. Now you have to count for yourself. :-( Grrr.

On cars.com there are I-Paces finally showing up in dealer inventory. As of last night there were about 75 listed but most seem to be in transit.

Based on the Jag’s slow launch so far this seems like maybe a 250-sales-per-month kind of EV in the US market. I think 234 miles and 76 MPGe in a relatively compact car for ninety grand is gonna be a tough sell once the initial wave of demand is satisfied.

Reactions: Bill33525
All consistent with the disclaimer text on the Jaguar website that's been up for a few weeks now, ever since the Jaguar EPA estimate was reduced by 6 miles to 234. (The officila WLTP range was also reduced by 6 miles, when moving from pre-production to production cars).

"2019 Jaguar I-PACE. EPA estimated all-electric range is 234 miles with fully charged battery and 80 city, 72 highway, and 76 combined MPGe. MPGe is the EPA-equivalent measure of gasoline fuel efficiency for electric mode operation. All figures are EPA estimates. Actual range and mileage will vary with driving conditions and style, and other factors. "

Autocar testing couldn't even get close to that pathetic 234 number. Need a link?

The big difference is that non-Tesla EVs really, really struggle to achieve rated efficiency on the highway whereas it's not an issue with Tesla. I could never come close to 107mi in my Leaf on the highway only and Autocar found the same for the iPace.

Autocar testing couldn't even get close to that pathetic 234 number. Need a link?

The big difference is that non-Tesla EVs really, really struggle to achieve rated efficiency on the highway whereas it's not an issue with Tesla. I could never come close to 107mi in my Leaf on the highway only and Autocar found the same for the iPace.

Autocar got two different figures for two different driving styles: "driven modestly, the red I-Pace has covered 239 miles on a charge. The briskly driven blue I-Pace needed an electron infusion at 208 miles, which is not vastly less given that it was driven a lot harder". -- Autocar

Top Gear achieved 291 miles, on a semi-hypermiling run.

Jaguar demoed 229 miles on 92% charge, mostly of keeping-up-on-the-highway driving in the Chunnel Challenge. (6 miles urban, 40 miles in the Chunnel, 183 miles highway, equivalent to 249 miles on 100% charge)

There are two figures circulating for the Jag's usable battery capacity: the official figure is 84.7kWh, including the approx 20km of reserve range; and a conservative figure of 74kWh, calculated from some credible anecdata.

This gives us a range of possible efficiencies for the I-Pace, from 291 miles on 74kWh, to 208 miles on 84.7kWh - i.e.
from 254Wh/mile to 356 Wh/mile on the conservative view of the battery capacity, or 291 to 407 Wh/mile using the official usable battery capacity.

You earlier required the Jaguar to successfully to achieve 360Wh/mile for the trip from Grand Junction to Denver, before you would believe it was capable.

If we assume a mid-trip recharge, you can run at 497Wh/mile and complete the trip (or at 398Wh/mile via Aspen). If you believe the official figures, you can run at 568Wh/mile, (455Wh/mile via Aspen).

Here are the required efficiencies to get from Grand Junction to Denver, in one hit, or via Glenwood Springs, or via Aspen.
JagGdJnDenver-Calcs.png

(all mileages courtesy Google Maps)

I'm pretty certain I've not got anything more to say on the topic: an I-Pace can drive from Grand Junction to Denver today.

Attachments

• JagGdJnDenver-Calcs.png
    JagGdJnDenver-Calcs.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Autocar got two different figures for two different driving styles: "driven modestly, the red I-Pace has covered 239 miles on a charge. The briskly driven blue I-Pace needed an electron infusion at 208 miles, which is not vastly less given that it was driven a lot harder".

Top Gear achieved 291 miles, on a semi-hypermiling run.

Jaguar demoed 229 miles, mostly of keeping-up-on-the-highway driving in the Chunnel Challenge. (6 miles urban, 40 miles in the Chunnel, 183 miles highway)

There are two figures circulating for the Jag's usable battery capacity: the official figure is 84.7kWh, including the approx 20km of reserve range; and a conservative figure of 74kWh, calculated from some credible anecdata.

This gives us a range of possible efficiencies for the I-Pace, from 291 miles on 74kWh, to 208 miles on 84.7kWh - i.e.
from 254Wh/mile to 356 Wh/mile on the conservative view of the battery capacity, or 291 to 407 Wh/mile using the official usable battery capacity.

You earlier required the Jaguar to successfully to achieve 360Wh/mile for the trip from Grand Junction to Denver, before you would believe it was capable.

If we assume a mid-trip recharge, you can run at 497Wh/mile and complete the trip (or at 398Wh/mile via Aspen). If you believe the official figures, you can run at 568Wh/mile, (455Wh/mile via Aspen).

Here are the required efficiencies to get from Grand Junction to Denver, in one hit, or via Glenwood Springs, or via Aspen.
View attachment 350240
(all mileages courtesy Google Maps)

I'm pretty certain I've not got anything more to say on the topic: an I-Pace can drive from Grand Junction to Denver today.

So you get that a detour through Aspen adds *tons* of unnecessary travel time through country that can be quite dangerous in winter, vs just staying on 70, right? Like, is that route even doable in a storm?