Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace in the Wild. I Don't Get it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across one parked in a parking lot in advance of a Jaguar event that happens every Father's Day here in town ("Cat's in the Garden," or something like that). My wife and i pulled in to the parking lot next to it without initially realizing what it was. My wife looked over and said "that is one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen." Neither of us had any idea what it was when she offered that.

Now, clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I can't say I disagree with her. This thing was just incredibly hulking and chintzy looking. The lines were garish -- especially the back which is literally an automotive-design abomination. The rest of the car had chintzy plastic in all of the wrong places and it just looked like it was slapped together. BTW, for those in this forum who constantly berate Tesla for fit and finish, the panel gaps on this thing were uneven in multiple spots and the chrome trim around the rear passenger's door window (at least I think it was that spot) was mis-matched by 1/4". The paint was, however, gorgeous.

And then there was the interior. Yes, the leather seats looked lovely, but the dash and control cluster was just a mass of over-done "stuff" -- at least IMHO. Form over Function in a big way.

How and why this monstrosity won "World Car of the Year" is beyond me. I have no idea how it drives, but I'd never even have the urge to find out because I could not stand the idea of having to look at this thing every day...

I have to say, I have a very different perspective. Was on a road trip and stopped at a plaza that had SC & CCS; there was one at the CCS. I could not stop looking at it; it was utterly stunning. GF and her grandparents thought so too!

Honestly if they had comparable charging network, performance, self driving tech, and updates, I would much prefer the looks of the Ipace. So basically if Tesla could just style a car better it would be perfect :p lol. The Tesla is just so far ahead in almost every other area.

I have to say, I have a very different perspective. Was on a road trip and stopped at a plaza that had SC & CCS; there was one at the CCS. I could not stop looking at it; it was utterly stunning. GF and her grandparents thought so too!

Honestly if they had comparable charging network, performance, self driving tech, and updates, I would much prefer the looks of the Ipace. So basically if Tesla could just style a car better it would be perfect :p lol. The Tesla is just so far ahead in almost every other area.

Love it. As I said, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and the completely different perspective we have on this is one of the things that keeps life interesting (and wonderful)!

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
I came across one parked in a parking lot in advance of a Jaguar event that happens every Father's Day here in town ("Cat's in the Garden," or something like that). My wife and i pulled in to the parking lot next to it without initially realizing what it was. My wife looked over and said "that is one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen." Neither of us had any idea what it was when she offered that.

Now, clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I can't say I disagree with her. This thing was just incredibly hulking and chintzy looking. The lines were garish -- especially the back which is literally an automotive-design abomination. The rest of the car had chintzy plastic in all of the wrong places and it just looked like it was slapped together. BTW, for those in this forum who constantly berate Tesla for fit and finish, the panel gaps on this thing were uneven in multiple spots and the chrome trim around the rear passenger's door window (at least I think it was that spot) was mis-matched by 1/4". The paint was, however, gorgeous.

And then there was the interior. Yes, the leather seats looked lovely, but the dash and control cluster was just a mass of over-done "stuff" -- at least IMHO. Form over Function in a big way.

How and why this monstrosity won "World Car of the Year" is beyond me. I have no idea how it drives, but I'd never even have the urge to find out because I could not stand the idea of having to look at this thing every day...
I quite like the exterior but it’s quite a small car and I agree most legacy car companies produce blingy, cluttered interiors.

I like this “chintzy” word and shall use it more in conversation.

Reactions: PrGrPa
...How and why this monstrosity won "World Car of the Year" is beyond me. I have no idea how it drives, but I'd never even have the urge to find out because I could not stand the idea of having to look at this thing every day...

There are only a few new models intro'd every year, so the competitive field is quite small. It's not like the iPace is competing with the Model 3, because the Model 3 was intro'd the year before. And with fewer mfrs making cars, it makes winning "WCoTY" even easier. The next year's award will probably go to the e-Tron.

I’m in one of the EV capitols of the world and have saw only one iPace owned by a real owner.

I pointed it out to my wife and said that’s the iPace! The Model X competitor. My wife said that car was nasty looking just as the owner was getting out of the car and she overheard lol.

It’s a catfish for sure. Looks better in photos than in person. It would sell more because people often care about looks versus capabilities.

I’m glad it’s an EV but you have to generally be an idiot to buy an iPace.

Jaguar electronics.
Slower, uglier, way more expensive than a 3
Slower, uglier, way less storage than a Model S
Uglier, way less passenger, storage, and towing than a Model X

Model Y would be all over the iPace like white on rice.

Jaguar_I_Pace_Red_Car.jpg

Definitely not ugly

The rear is the least attractive part of the car, but not ugly.

I take it your wife hasn't seen this car before?

2014-Chevrolet-Spark-EV-front-three-quarter-in-motion.jpg

Huh I saw this in blue at the Central Computer parking lot in Sunnyvale and it was stunning, in a way Teslas aren't. It's not conservative in any way and the paint was gorgeous. But I buy cars on my needs and while I'd consider an electric F type if I decide I wanted a sporty car, the iPace doesn't beat my S or 3 in practicality. If the iPace design had Tesla electrics, I'd take it over a Y if I were in the market for a crossover. But that paint! Tesla's selection is shameful.

I spent several minutes staring at a blue iPace over in Sunnyvale, I love it. I wouldn't buy one due to the electrics but the esthetics are great. Tesla really should expand their paint options though, Jaguar has some great options. I'm sure an electric ftype world be amazing, but again the electrics will likely have problems competing with the roadster. I was a Jaguar fan way before I bought my first Tesla.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
They drive better than a Model X or S. Jaguar let me take it on a track and it was amazing. It didn’t feel like a SUV at all. It felt like a Cat and it was so nimble and agile.

Would I buy one? No! They don’t have a supercharger network like Tesla’s and they don’t have Auto Pilot. Even if AP not that great it’s better than anything on the market. I will never buy a car without AP again.

Jaguar_I_Pace_Red_Car.jpg

Definitely not ugly

The rear is the least attractive part of the car, but not ugly.

I take it your wife hasn't seen this car before?

2014-Chevrolet-Spark-EV-front-three-quarter-in-motion.jpg

The frak... I talk about cat fishing and you prove my point by showing a single staged photograph at the best angle.

I believe I have excellent taste in cars but hey people can do whatever they want with their money.

His Model 3

7CC7ACDB-305C-41A1-BA67-3F4B80815758.jpeg

Hers Model 3

80812E31-26CE-41DE-8A75-93122E05AAA1.jpeg

I saw one for the first time today and I thought it was a really nice looking ride. It is priced too high for me, but had to admit that it looked good...at least to me.

Value is what you get, not what you pay.

You wouldn’t say an iPace was too high price if it outperformed the S3XY. It doesn’t, so it’s good money after bad.

No autonomy, no supercharging.

And you have to take the car in to download software to fix the brakes.

Jaguar I-PACE Recalled, Needs Software Update To Fix Regenerative Brakes

POS.

Last edited:
I saw my first iPace too in the UK plugged in and had the same reaction, I couldn’t believe how ugly it was, at first I was confused as kept thinking well it must be an iPace because that’s the only thing that makes sense but no way could they release a car that ugly.

Reactions: UngaBunga1989