Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace in the Wild. I Don't Get it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The external is bold which I like and especially in some colors.
I'd be happy to pick up a used one in 4 years for $25K

The model-X is not a pretty vehicle but obviously its a far more capable EV due to
-better BMS
-Supercharger network
-larger size.
Model-Y is vaporware as of now but yes it will sell gangbusters late next year.

The external is bold which I like and especially in some colors.
I'd be happy to pick up a used one in 4 years for $25K

The model-X is not a pretty vehicle but obviously its a far more capable EV due to
-better BMS
-Supercharger network
-larger size.
Model-Y is vaporware as of now but yes it will sell gangbusters late next year.

I am not particularly in love with the looks of the Model X (and I consider it to be the least aesthetically pleasing of the three current Tesla models), but it is more because I just generally do not appreciate big cars / SUV's -- no matter what you do to them it's impossible to hide their hulking mass. But the I-Pace was, to my eyes downright ugly. I am going to go have another look at it later today to revisit my initial impression, but that rear end (the part of the car that is almost never shown in photos!) is just such a mess...

Honestly if they had comparable charging network, performance, self driving tech, and updates, I would much prefer the looks of the Ipace. So basically if Tesla could just style a car better it would be perfect :p lol. The Tesla is just so far ahead in almost every other area.

I often see the slightly overstyled electric cats but agree that they have much more panache than The Glob aka Tesla Model X [sorry for airing my grievances outside of Festivus if you feel differently].

Can't wait for the Jaguar's faux grill to go, though. While it may not be a big SUV by American standards it's really wide, which can severely impair driving in Europe.

• Funny
Reactions: Zorg
Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. For me Model S (facelift)> Model 3 > I-PACE > Model X. Not sure where the Model Y slots in for me as I haven't seen one in person. And I say this as an I-PACE driver. I don't think it's an ugly car at all, it's quite striking and actually about as aggressive as I like cars to look. I hate the look of most BMWs, they look overly aggressive.

Oh and I don't like the Caesium Blue colour of the I-PACE at all. Too bright and bold, I much prefer Tesla's Deep Blue Metallic. But again, that's my entirely subjective opinion.

Reactions: UngaBunga1989
20190606_124437.jpg

Got to see them side by side... was not impressed.

• Love
Reactions: alloverx
Still haven't seen an I-Pace in person, and I just spent a week in the San Jose area. I thought about ordering one last year. A bit too "boy racer" for me though. I do like their blue (in pictures) a lot better than Tesla's blue, as I like colors that "pop".

The E-Tron may be dull, but it's already outselling the I-Pace 4:1 in the US after only one month. It's the SUV look that people apparently want.

Value is what you get, not what you pay.

You wouldn’t say an iPace was too high price if it outperformed the S3XY. It doesn’t, so it’s good money after bad.

No autonomy, no supercharging.

And you have to take the car in to download software to fix the brakes.

Jaguar I-PACE Recalled, Needs Software Update To Fix Regenerative Brakes

POS.

Depends on what you call "autonomy". Nobody, including Tesla, has Full Self Driving yet. I-Pace has TACC and hands-on lane center keeping. It' similar to Autopilot but it doesn't change lanes for you and doesn't offer "onramp to offramp". Even the cheap Hyundai Kona EV has TACC + active lane keeping. So yes, I-Pace has some automation.

I-Pace also has over-the-air firmware update capability. They have rolled out activation of SOTA gradually, starting in the U.K. but now it is also in North America and owners here have received an infotainment update over the air.

I prefer the styling of the Model S to any SUV or crossover, but I am considering the I-Pace because I don't want to be without my car 6 months waiting for parts if someone rear ends me. CarPlay, Android Auto, and 360 camera views of the car in its surroundings are other bonuses missing from Teslas.

Reactions: alloverx
Updating the infotainment system and OTA for everything are very different. Likely it has as much to do with dealer laws as technology limitations. And if you think any non-Tesla will improve over time with new features, rather than having to buy a new model to get them, I have a bridge to sell you :)

Plus Tesla does remote maintenance - I had concerns with my car getting too warm during charging, and Tesla remotely RCA'd it. No service visit. Ask your Jaguar dealer if they offer that!

Don't get me wrong, I kind of liked the I-Pace interior and size, and considered it before buying the S. And it supposedly drives well. I'm just waving the BS flag at Jaguar or any of them claiming they do OTA. Being able to add a radio station doesn't qualify.

My wife and I both dig the iPace's design, quite honestly better than the Model X. If it only had the same tech and s/c network as Tesla, we would've considered it over the X.

Although, after owning the X for the last 3 weeks, I must say it grew on us, both in design and comfort. Now that we're both driving EV's, seeing, hearing and smelling ICE cars is soooo antiquated. We do still have some analog cars that we use once in a while for Sunday drives, but for the daily commute and long road trips, nothing beats Teslas right now..

Updating the infotainment system and OTA for everything are very different. Likely it has as much to do with dealer laws as technology limitations. And if you think any non-Tesla will improve over time with new features, rather than having to buy a new model to get them, I have a bridge to sell you :)

Plus Tesla does remote maintenance - I had concerns with my car getting too warm during charging, and Tesla remotely RCA'd it. No service visit. Ask your Jaguar dealer if they offer that!

Don't get me wrong, I kind of liked the I-Pace interior and size, and considered it before buying the S. And it supposedly drives well. I'm just waving the BS flag at Jaguar or any of them claiming they do OTA. Being able to add a radio station doesn't qualify.

It's my fault for mischaracterizing it as only an infotainment update. It did address real issues. It included fixes for certain issues with Bluetooth, climate control, navigation, reverse traffic detection, screens, and media playback. It ADDED new features to driver assistance, climate, navigation, imagery, screen features, and speech database.

Will Jaguar send updates that change the whole UI like Tesla's version 9 which took away capabilities many people liked and pissed off their user base? I hope not. Will they send over changes to their driver assistance technology that makes it start phantom braking at overpasses? Probably not. I think many of Tesla's updates since version 7 made the cars less appealing. With Jaguar's version of OTA you are not nagged to take updates. They are there if you want them but it is up to you to install them or not without constant nagging about it if you don't want it. I have seen from Tesla that newer does not necessarily mean better and I like Jaguar's approach (so far) of fixing things and adding small improvements that make things only better, not worse.

Reactions: Inside