Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I pace preview yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to I pace preview yesterday wow what a stunning car. Same price with some extras as my S75D £74k fantastic range of colours Tesla watch out you will defiantly lose sales to jaguar.
The I Pace web site has been thought out perfectly so you can order on line now and the car is a perfect size for uk roads.
What I saw yesterday is a tesla killer Elon has to pull something out of the bag before loosing sales to Jaguar.

Went to I pace preview yesterday wow what a stunning car. Same price with some extras as my S75D £74k fantastic range of colours Tesla watch out you will defiantly lose sales to jaguar.
The I Pace web site has been thought out perfectly so you can order on line now and the car is a perfect size for uk roads.
What I saw yesterday is a tesla killer Elon has to pull something out of the bag before loosing sales to Jaguar.

Is this ironic?

Another Tesla Killer :D

upload_2018-4-29_12-35-48.png

I disagree.

Also if you think that’s a great website, I also configured my own ipace, didnt get half way through and was thinking “ when will this end” sure you’ve got 1001 options to select but is that what really sells a car to you.

also try making a comparison with an MX rather then MS and you’ll find that the MX and ipace are not that different in price when I tried to build the same spec As the MX I just ordered it was almost £10k more expensive than my MX.

Don’t get me wrong I do like the ipace but I love the MX and honestly no £80k car is a Tesla killer! When I see a decent sized, range sexy family car that’s full electric for less than £30k then that’s when I think Tesla should start worrying. The MX and MS isn’t going to have a fraction of the impact the M3 will have on the industry and if they manage to get production sorted Everyone needs to watch out!

If they don’t then they may just fail but I for one am rooting for them!

also try making a comparison with an MX rather then MS and you’ll find that the MX and ipace are not that different in price when I tried to build the same spec As the MX I just ordered it was almost £10k more expensive than my MX.

How did you manage that?

Even a fully loaded First Edition i-Pace is less than £10k more than a new base 5 seater MX with no options at all...

Reactions: cizUK
You need to see the I Pace in the flesh its a magical design both in and out.
Its nothing like the size of the MX and you cant compare the two it also doesn't have 7 seats.
If you want the size of the MX fine if you can do without the 7 seats and want something the size of a Q5 or X5 then I Pace might sway you.
Believe me I'm a tesla lover but am seriously worried for them. By the way the technical guy at Jaguar didn't know I had a Tesla and he had nothing but praise for them saying that if it wasn't for Tesla the EV market would never have got off the ground.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
I'm a tesla lover but am seriously worried for them

I can't imagine why ... I drove down to Bath last night for a concert, 340 mile round trip, was coming home very late and Type-2 charging would have saved me 30 minutes Supercharging on the way home ...

Car park with EV charging less than 10 minutes walk from the venue ... great ... checked with Plugshare, supports CYC which I am a member of (and there's your first problem ...)

Rocked up, 4 charging bays, two charging "posts", a Freelander charging in one bay. Parked, jumped out and retrieved my (very bulky) Type-2 cable from Frunk, plugged into car, and post. Noted that the A-port was showing red-light with an "Error on port A" message, but B was green. Fire up APP, no indication that the location even existed :(. Phoned the CYC support number:

"Can't find the Post location in the APP"

"No problem Sir, what's the ID Number?"

"12345"

"Thank you Sir, I've got it. What's your email address?"

"fred.blogs@..." (talking of which, I used a special one-off email address to register with CYC ... good job! otherwise anyone could use my account to charge!!")

"One of the ports is showing an error, which one are you plugged into Sir?"

"Yes, I saw the A-port has error, I'm in B"

"Right Sir, I'll start the charge now"

All this has taken at least 5 minutes from when I arrived ...

"Sorry Sir, I've got an error, I won't be able to initiate the charge for you"

"There's another post here, if I move the car to that one will you be able to start a charge on that?"

"Are you sure Sir, I'm only showing one Post there"

I wander over ... its a different brand (that I'm not a member of ...) ... I give him the ID number and sure enough "Not one of ours"

"I can help you with other locations nearby"

I'd already seen from the APP there was nothing nearby but

"OK, Thanks"

"The nearest is the Park and Ride on the outskirts of town ..."

"It's OK thanks, I've got a Tesla and enough charge to get to a Supercharger on the way home. Thanks very much for your help"

Can't fault how pleasant and helpful the chap was, but this was most definitely not an isolated incident for me. One of the ports not working has been common IME, and faffing with APP and phoning up - and that taking ages - is absolutely the norm IME.

Rocked up at Reading Supercharger. 4 bays, one car already there, all bays working. Plugged in. Another car turned up after a bit, and shortly after that the first car left. Decided because no refreshments there, and peeing in the bush was a bit gauche, that I'd split and charge some more at South Mimms.

Rocked up at South Mimms gone midnight, a dozen bays, one other car charging. Strolled to Starbucks which was still open, after 10 minutes I was on my way again ...

Hopefully Jag drivers will never drive out of range and only charge at home ... or have enormous faith in the rollout, availability and "up-time" service levels of the coming-soon CCS chargers ...

But not for me, no thanks.

Last edited:

I think any EV will eat some of Tesla's sales. Just as any ICE car that comes out today will eat the sales of some other ICE car. This is a good thing too, at least for us, buyers/drivers. Tesla can pretty much charge any price they want now because there is no real competition.

Keep in mind that the IONITY network isn't here yet, so regardless of the pack size of the Jaguar, the fastest it can charge today is at a 50 kW CSS station. That's atleast 2 hours charging! Not ideal when you're road-tripping.

Tesla's Supercharger network is going to be a huge advantage over other brands for at least some years. As of today IONITY has only 1 (yes, one!) station in the world.

Its nothing like the size of the MX and you cant compare the two it also doesn't have 7 seats.
If you want the size of the MX fine if you can do without the 7 seats and want something the size of a Q5 or X5 then I Pace might sway you.
Believe me I'm a tesla lover but am seriously worried for them. By the way the technical guy at Jaguar didn't know I had a Tesla and he had nothing but praise for them saying that if it wasn't for Tesla the EV market would never have got off the ground.

I've seen and sat in a fully loaded launch model and not sure if we've watched the same car? I was left rather unimpressed to be honest and then I haven't even taken in the lack of charging infrastructure into the equation.

It's a rather small car. Sure, looks quite nice, but very ordinary. Like an F-pace or so. Nothing that get's me excited at all.

The car can't be compared with either S or X. It's in another segment. It's a rather small SUV. But sure, for those who like that it will be a nice vehicle. But it won't have any impact in Tesla sales. Thing is that all EVs that can be produced will be sold. The Jaguars production figures for 2018/2019 is not that impressive and will just serve a small portion of the demand in the EV market.

Actually, if anything, I think that Tesla sales will increase as a result of Jaguar launching an EV. More people will get interested and this will lead to more sales. Reminds me of my local hair dresser. He was the only hairdresser in the block and then suddenly the neighbor clothing store closed and a new hair dresser opened up instead. I asked him how this did impact his customers and revenue. The answer was: He had to employ more people because the demand for people who wanted a hair cut in the area had increased a lot after another hair dresser opened up next door...

Good times for all!

Last edited:
It's a rather small car. Sure, looks quite nice, but very ordinary. Like an F-pace or so. Nothing that get's me excited at all.

To be fair, it is only 'rather small' up against the Teslas which could reasonably be said to be 'extremely large' in terms of the UK market :)

I do agree though that there really is little or no overlap between them, they address different market segments.

Anything that increases the motivation to install more and better fast chargers can only be a good thing, although I guess that fast CCS chargers are no use to the Tesla owners though?

Anything that increases the motivation to install more and better fast chargers can only be a good thing, although I guess that fast CCS chargers are no use to the Tesla owners though?

That is correct. However, since Tesla has apparently joined the IONITY board this might change. Maybe a retrofit, maybe an adapter. An adapter is forbidden in the CSS specs. But specs can change.

It's a rather small car.

I haven't seen it in the flesh, but it seemed (from the Fully Charged review) that the cabin is pushed forward (bonnet shorter) so the interior is relatively large, compared to the overall external size. But no knowledge of how it compares to anything else such as MS / MX

I agree with you about sales. I can't see many Tesla owners switching to e.g. Jag, unless they have no need for road-trip chargers (and that may well be plenty, because 200 miles range is a decent trip, and even if you use all that getting TO the Rellies for the weekend then even a 13AMP plug will recharge you over the weekend)

And even if some do, then with the market as it is someone else will buy that Tesla - there just aren't enough to go around at present,a nd as more people get a ride in an EV more will want one.

I was talking to some (retired) car people today. One worked at Williams F1 and when I mentioned about Tesla he thought my problem would be charging. When i said I charged at home he thought I must have bought a Supercharger ... and again when I said "I don't need one nearby because I can go 200 miles before I need to charge" that was a surprise to him. Once the knoweldge changes the audience will increase. There is room for all players ...

I guess that fast CCS chargers are no use to the Tesla owners though?

Not yet. I did ask about the likelihood of a CCS-adaptor, like the CHAdeMO one, and apparently the CCS standard doesn't support adaptors (I wonder why that is? :rolleyes:) but that may not rule it out of course.

I think any EV will eat some of Tesla's sales. Just as any ICE car that comes out today will eat the sales of some other ICE car. This is a good thing too, at least for us, buyers/drivers. Tesla can pretty much charge any price they want now because there is no real competition.

Keep in mind that the IONITY network isn't here yet, so regardless of the pack size of the Jaguar, the fastest it can charge today is at a 50 kW CSS station. That's atleast 2 hours charging! Not ideal when you're road-tripping.

Tesla's Supercharger network is going to be a huge advantage over other brands for at least some years. As of today IONITY has only 1 (yes, one!) station in the world.
The comment that “Tesla can pretty much charge any price they want” reminded me of one of their quarterly conference calls a few years ago. An analyst questioned why they didn’t raise prices to curb demand since Tesla was capacity constrained. After the usual awkward pause, Elon said something like the Model S was already expensive and he didn’t think raising the price would be right. At that moment I knew this wasn’t a normal company; I’ve been invested ever since.

What's magical about this design? Looks like they've deliberately tried to make it look like a conventional ICE car (especially inside) to appeal to the more "conservative" buyer. Sure I'd take it over a Q5 or X3 or an F-Pace, but I wouldn't swap my MX for it any day. Looks like you have your next car sorted though, enjoy!

Jaguar has an established name and a substantially larger network of dealers with servicing facilities but Tesla has the SuperCharger network - and for me, the SC network is a huge plus.

...and you forgot to mention a pretty poor reputation for service quality. The UK Jaguar dealer network are not exactly highly praised by owners and often slagged off massively across the JLR forums. Chains of franchised, greedy, sales oriented dealerships as per much of the UK car sales industry in general. Plus they have no clue whatsoever about EV servicing at this point. We know Tesla has its own fair share of service issues, but at least they have exclusive experience of EV cars.

Reactions: WannabeOwner