Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-PACE vs TM3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts? It seems like the Jaguar I-PACE is really nice car. Will cost around the same as fully speced TM3. Has a little less range, but is more roomy , has basically the same acceleration. Also has normal dash and knobs you know :) Only thing that keeps me from taking it as a serious competitor to TM3 is the absence of Supercharger network. What is your thoughts guys?
Edit : Also the interior materials looks much better than TM3 or even S or X

After looking at the I Pace I agree that the interior seams to be far ahead of Tesla but here in Sweden it start just below Model S 75D so I see it more like a Model S competitor then a Model 3 competitor. But on the other hand, a Model 3 that is fully specced will probably come close in price. One little frustade thing is that we only have I Pace range in WLTP wish we don't have any Tesla car so it's hard to make a fair comparison then it comes to range. Then it comes to fast charging Tesla still have a huge advantage where we have to wait and see how the CCS network will grow here in Europe the coming years.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
In the UK, the I-PACE starts at €63,495 or, roughly, $87,216.
Keep in mind that this price includes VAT, which is around 20%. In contrast in US you get prices displayed without any sales tax. Therefore if you want to compare it with TM3 with all options, which is now roughly 60k$ in US, the I-PACE would costs 73k$ and not 87k$. So it is not that far away at all. If you would like to add AWD to TM3 ( which Jaguar have at all configurations), you stands at 64k$ vs 73k$...

Last edited:
Reactions: Adm
It's great to see more EV choice and Jaguar have done a lot to make the interior of the car as reassuringly familiar as possible.

However, they do need to put a lot more into making the "refuelling" experience equally straightforward.

Keep in mind that this price includes VAT, which is around 20%. In contrast in US you get prices displayed without any sales tax. Therefore if you want to compare it with TM3 with all options, which is now roughly 60k$ in US, the I-PACE would costs 73k$ and not 87k$. So it is not that far away at all. If you would like to add AWD to TM3 ( which Jaguar have at all configurations), you stands at 64k$ vs 73k$...
And then the question is how mush will Jaguar add to the price for transport and import taxes in US? A Tesla Model S 75D cost $86 517 here in Sweden before taxes while it cost $74500 in US. Is it Tesla that takes a lot for shipping it to Sweden or will we see similar extra cost on Jaguar I Pace?

I do like that Jag a lot. It has everything I would want and is actually a better fit for me than the model 3. AWD, Air suspension, performance, roominess, luxury interior styling are all better than the 3. The battery technology and lack of supercharger network are only small concerns for me. I am seriously wavering if they can price it well and deliver it soon. I am on their waiting list.

Hope Tesla will just hurry up with my model 3 and have the model Y ready soon.
I think they will have a problem with the US market once their tax credits runs out.

I will consider the Jag, I prefer the interior over current Tesla model S. But I will wait to see how much range people get in real life, and also how the rumored Tesla refresh will look like. I sure hope Tesla will put a little more thought into their interiors.

For the model 3, the minimalist look is growing on me, and I find the interior materials of very good quality. However, I miss some of the niceties I have in my Merc. The ambient color is particularly comfortable at night in the Merc - you can see the Jag has gone for the similar pattern of colored LED. I also like having an actual glovebox button, physical buttons for climate, and a cruise control stick for quick speed adjustments.

I am not a fan of the I-Pace for the following reasons:
  • old school interior, too many buttons and dials
  • exterior looks like ICE car, what is the purpose of that huge grille?
  • terrible Cd, will not be nearly as efficient as a Tesla
  • dealership network and the resulting screwing
  • apparently no opportunity for OA improvements to onboard software
  • No availability of FSD
  • Inferior autopilot
  • Jaguars first attempt at a mass market EV will surely result in many service calls that will make Tesla problems seem trivial
  • Buying foreign will hurt US balance of trade, I do think that once foreign mfg. EVs hit the US market in larger numbers and Tesla/GM reach the threshold, the federal EV tax credit will be "adjusted" to disfavor foreign mfg.
  • I-Pace will be a dinosaur in two years when MY debuts with close to 400 mile range
  • no supercharger network
Having said the above, I welcome Jaguar as a player in the EV market. The more EVs on the road, the better for all of us.

Jaguar estimates the I-Pace will get 240 mile EPA range. The Model 3 LR gets 310 official and 334 according to EPA (Tesla voluntarily lowered it).
The Model 3 full options is 59.500 US Dollars ex VAT (this also includes the full self driving option). This translates to about 68.000 Euro incl. VAT (based on relationship between Model S prices in USD and EUR).

The entry level I-Pace starts at 80.330 Euro incl. VAT. The entry level lacks among others, the following functions and stuff that comes with the full option Model 3:
- Leather seats, heated seats
- Electric folding side mirrors
- High speed emergency braking
- Adaptive cruise control (TACC)
- Heated front windshield + wipers
- Blind spot assist
- DAB+
- Homelink
- Glass roof (The I-Pace comes standard with solid roof)

These options will easily add 5.000-10.000 Euro to the price, maybe even more if you choose the expensive seats with special leather. Maxed out, the I-Pace costs about 117.000 Euro incl. VAT.

In summary, no I don't think the I-Pace is a competitor to the Model 3. I do however like the car and hope it will be successful in making a transition to electric cars.

The Jaguar sems more of an X-fighter than a Model 3 competitor. It will definitely appeal to those who need/want more room than a hatchback or sedan, have good access to its preferred charging networks and want a nicer place to sit while they travel.
Robin

Jaguar estimates the I-Pace will get 240 mile EPA range. The Model 3 LR gets 310 official and 334 according to EPA (Tesla voluntarily lowered it).
The Model 3 full options is 59.500 US Dollars ex VAT (this also includes the full self driving option). This translates to about 68.000 Euro incl. VAT (based on relationship between Model S prices in USD and EUR).

The entry level I-Pace starts at 80.330 Euro incl. VAT. The entry level lacks among others, the following functions and stuff that comes with the full option Model 3:
- Leather seats, heated seats
- Electric folding side mirrors
- High speed emergency braking
- Adaptive cruise control (TACC)
- Heated front windshield + wipers
- Blind spot assist
- DAB+
- Homelink
- Glass roof (The I-Pace comes standard with solid roof)

These options will easily add 5.000-10.000 Euro to the price, maybe even more if you choose the expensive seats with special leather. Maxed out, the I-Pace costs about 117.000 Euro incl. VAT.

In summary, no I don't think the I-Pace is a competitor to the Model 3. I do however like the car and hope it will be successful in making a transition to electric cars.
You can probably make a similar list to prove how stupid someone buying a Model S 100D is if size of car and luggage doesn't matter. And should we maybe make a list of things you can get with I Pace and you still can't get with Model S?

- 18 way adjustable seat
- cooling seat
- 360 degree camera
- Matrix led lights
- Powered Gesture Tailgate / Boot Lid
- Head up display
- 4G wifi hotspot
- Hitch

And then we talk about Model S for $145k+

I don't think there is any car that only have advantage and no disadvantage against is competitors, you have to decide yourself wish functions that is important to you.

These are a bit relevant here as well - posted them in the i-Pace thread. This is the current pricing in Norway, when you add all the things to the i-Pace that are standard on the S/X. And then I try to highlight the differences.

I see the i-Pace as either a Model X competitor or a Model S competitor, depending on whether you add the tow hitch or not. The Model 3 isn't really in the same size category.

USModelX.png

USModelS.png

Problem that I see with getting an electric car from existing manufacturer is that their entire staff is trained to handle ICE cars, they know transmissions, gas engines, etc. but they know nothing about working on high current electric vehicles. It will take a while for them to be retrained, and depending on the percentage of sales of electric cars vs ICE, it might not even be a priority for them. Also, no supercharger network is a huge draw-back.

I don't understand some parts of your charts. MS has included:
  • SAS
  • glass roof
  • sportseats with heat
  • hepafilter
  • folding mirrors
  • fog lights
  • signature lights
  • homelink
Just trying to keep things consistent. And we really don't know what the price of the I-Pace will be in the US yet.

I don't understand some parts of your charts. MS has included:
  • SAS
  • glass roof
  • sportseats with heat
  • hepafilter
  • folding mirrors
  • fog lights
  • signature lights
  • homelink
Just trying to keep things consistent. And we really don't know what the price of the I-Pace will be in the US yet.
HEPA is in the premium interior package. The options I list are the ones I add in the i-Pace design studio to arrive at the price for a roughly similarly equipped i-Pace. (I also had to add leather seats to the Teslas, because you have to go with leather to get electric adjustable seats on the i-Pace.) Not sure if this link works outside Norway, but you can try it: Bygg din NEW ALL-ELECTRIC JAGUAR I-PACE

Last edited: