Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar i-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drive car for the night

Attachments

• 20190612_180045.jpg
    20190612_180045.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 20190612_180058.jpg
    20190612_180058.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190612_180106.jpg
    20190612_180106.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 88
It’s a great car. No doubt.

Before the recent price drop from Tesla I was seriously considering it.

I would rate handling and suspension better than the Model S but only just. Interior is more refined but something you’d notice more if your expectations are set by European premium cars.

Tesla seats are more comfortable (even versus the top spec HSE trim), especially the headrest. Although Jag seats are also cooled and current Model S trim is not. Tesla tech is a completely different league above the Jag. The Jag infotainment system was slow. The Jag with glass roof heated up fast when I turned off the aircon with windows down, so extending range by running without aircon was not an option on a warm day.

Tesla acceleration is better and smoother. Tesla regen felt slightly stronger. Tesla is more efficient and has the Supercharger network, so long trips are possible. This last point may change over time but it’s a real killer right now. Why buy a car costing this much and not be able to road trip with it?

Reactions: bay74
I still have no idea why you'd start a thread on a competitor's vehicle in a Tesla forum.

Why not? It’s an Electtic vehicle and an alternative to a Tesla. I would think most members on this forum are not so Tesla-centric that they are not open to keeping current with the competition. Tesla is a great EV, it’s not the only EV.

Because in the context of the Australian and New Zealand forum this thread is listed in, the i-pace is essentially useless. This is because it is poorly supported, especially in regard to DC charging. The i-pace, e-tron and eqc only have 7kW AC charging. As the first MX to cross Australia, and in doing so, spent four days AC charging over 2700kms, these competitors are purely city cars in Australia. Australia is woefully behind in DC fast charging infrastructure and these so called "Tesla killers" are almost a disservice to EV's in Australia.

Feel free to join the i-pace motors club (imc) but alas, there isn't one.

Reactions: Tension
I still have no idea why you'd start a thread on a competitor's vehicle in a Tesla forum.
For comparison. I still am getting a tesla when they release white seats. This is a very good car. Road trips would be fine being in Queensland no supercharger and I fought for a while here in North Queensland. Queensland electric highway 50kw ccs2 and it free.
Car is a demo owned by JLR sent around for test drives.

Attachments

• 20190613_070459.jpg
    20190613_070459.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 69
For comparison. I still am getting a tesla when they release white seats. This is a very good car. Road trips would be fine being in Queensland no supercharger and I fought for a while here in North Queensland. Queensland electric highway 50kw ccs2 and it free.
Car is a demo owned by JLR sent around for test drives.
Thanks for posting the photos.
Only five sold in New Zealand so far.

It’s a great car. No doubt.

Before the recent price drop from Tesla I was seriously considering it.

I would rate handling and suspension better than the Model S but only just. Interior is more refined but something you’d notice more if your expectations are set by European premium cars.

Tesla seats are more comfortable (even versus the top spec HSE trim), especially the headrest. Although Jag seats are also cooled and current Model S trim is not. Tesla tech is a completely different league above the Jag. The Jag infotainment system was slow. The Jag with glass roof heated up fast when I turned off the aircon with windows down, so extending range by running without aircon was not an option on a warm day.

Tesla acceleration is better and smoother. Tesla regen felt slightly stronger. Tesla is more efficient and has the Supercharger network, so long trips are possible. This last point may change over time but it’s a real killer right now. Why buy a car costing this much and not be able to road trip with it?
I think the tesla interior is more refined. To me the jag, like all other cars, is a clutter of knobs and corners and details that are confusing and fussy. The jag actually needs a lot of work to be refined. Tesla have nailed minimalised refined simplicity, which is by far my preference. Oddly Suzuki are the next best with their latest swift, if you ignore all the plastic.

I think the tesla interior is more refined. To me the jag, like all other cars, is a clutter of knobs and corners and details that are confusing and fussy. The jag actually needs a lot of work to be refined. Tesla have nailed minimalised refined simplicity, which is by far my preference. Oddly Suzuki are the next best with their latest swift, if you ignore all the plastic.
I’m not sure of your definition of refined. Tesla is certainly minimalist but not refined IMHO. The Jag is a leap above in quality of materials and fit and fit and finish, as one would expect of an old established luxury brand. The Tesla is functional and minimalist but not up to the Europeans in terms of quality. Nor even the Lexus or high end Nissan actually.