TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Jaguar i-Pace

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nuckles, Jun 12, 2019.

1. nuckles

nuckles Member

Drive car for the night

Attached Files:

2. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

You offering your car or Jag gave it to you for the night?

3. nuckles

nuckles Member

I work for Holden dealer and we also have JLR just test driving overnight. Feels nice so far.

4. Vegas

Vegas Member

Looks nice in that colour

How does the UI/software/tech compare?

5. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Seems a lot to pay when you can’t drive it to Melbourne. ;)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. nuckles

nuckles Member

It was browsing for tesla

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. nuckles

nuckles Member

I don't have a tesla yet. Model 3 with white seat trying to hold out.

8. paulp

paulp Active Member

I wonder why jag can get a browser approved in australia and tesla supposedly cant.....hmmmm....maybe its tesla.

9. Jays200

Jays200 Member

I still have no idea why you'd start a thread on a competitor's vehicle in a Tesla forum.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  10. dalec

dalec Member

It’s a great car. No doubt.

Before the recent price drop from Tesla I was seriously considering it.

I would rate handling and suspension better than the Model S but only just. Interior is more refined but something you’d notice more if your expectations are set by European premium cars.

Tesla seats are more comfortable (even versus the top spec HSE trim), especially the headrest. Although Jag seats are also cooled and current Model S trim is not. Tesla tech is a completely different league above the Jag. The Jag infotainment system was slow. The Jag with glass roof heated up fast when I turned off the aircon with windows down, so extending range by running without aircon was not an option on a warm day.

Tesla acceleration is better and smoother. Tesla regen felt slightly stronger. Tesla is more efficient and has the Supercharger network, so long trips are possible. This last point may change over time but it’s a real killer right now. Why buy a car costing this much and not be able to road trip with it?

• Like x 1
  11. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Active Member

Why not? It’s an Electtic vehicle and an alternative to a Tesla. I would think most members on this forum are not so Tesla-centric that they are not open to keeping current with the competition. Tesla is a great EV, it’s not the only EV.

• Like x 6
  12. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Because in the context of the Australian and New Zealand forum this thread is listed in, the i-pace is essentially useless. This is because it is poorly supported, especially in regard to DC charging. The i-pace, e-tron and eqc only have 7kW AC charging. As the first MX to cross Australia, and in doing so, spent four days AC charging over 2700kms, these competitors are purely city cars in Australia. Australia is woefully behind in DC fast charging infrastructure and these so called "Tesla killers" are almost a disservice to EV's in Australia.

Feel free to join the i-pace motors club (imc) but alas, there isn't one.

• Like x 1
  13. Hovean

Hovean Member

G'day Knuckles. Can I ask if the Ipace has been ordered/purchased by someone or is it a demonstrator? I'm guessing Townsville. I thought they were in very short supply.

14. nuckles

nuckles Member

For comparison. I still am getting a tesla when they release white seats. This is a very good car. Road trips would be fine being in Queensland no supercharger and I fought for a while here in North Queensland. Queensland electric highway 50kw ccs2 and it free.
    Car is a demo owned by JLR sent around for test drives.

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
  15. Miggy

Miggy Member

Thanks for posting the photos.
    Only five sold in New Zealand so far.

16. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Awesome car. Would consider it if I were in Europe. Can’t beat Tesla in Australia though.

• Like x 2
  17. Tasdoc

Tasdoc Member

I wonder what would happen if JLR decides to kill the project for whatever reason (lack of demand, low profit margins, changes in senior mgmt etc)? It would be a very expensive brick to end up with

18. baillies

baillies Member

In Townsville I would have thought charging infrastructure was similar between IPace and Tesla? For me buying any low volume car is a risk, which basically means only model 3 and model Y are relevant, but plenty of people are happy to buy low volume cars.

19. paulp

paulp Active Member

I think the tesla interior is more refined. To me the jag, like all other cars, is a clutter of knobs and corners and details that are confusing and fussy. The jag actually needs a lot of work to be refined. Tesla have nailed minimalised refined simplicity, which is by far my preference. Oddly Suzuki are the next best with their latest swift, if you ignore all the plastic.

20. houdini

houdini Member

I’m not sure of your definition of refined. Tesla is certainly minimalist but not refined IMHO. The Jag is a leap above in quality of materials and fit and fit and finish, as one would expect of an old established luxury brand. The Tesla is functional and minimalist but not up to the Europeans in terms of quality. Nor even the Lexus or high end Nissan actually.