Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar i-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure of your definition of refined. Tesla is certainly minimalist but not refined IMHO. The Jag is a leap above in quality of materials and fit and fit and finish, as one would expect of an old established luxury brand. The Tesla is functional and minimalist but not up to the Europeans in terms of quality. Nor even the Lexus or high end Nissan actually.
The tesla interior design is more refined, but unless you understand minimalism you wouldn’t see it.
I’m not suggesting model s interior is plush, and I’m not after olde worlde ‘luxury’ so that suits me fine as well.

The tesla interior design is more refined, but unless you understand minimalism you wouldn’t see it.
I’m not suggesting model s interior is plush, and I’m not after olde worlde ‘luxury’ so that suits me fine as well.
Agreed, the Model S interior is elegent and light, and is made of glass and software. It is a design style 20 years ahead of its time.
Far more refined than burled walnut and leather with a dozen switches and dials.

Hi everyone. New member of the forum and M3 reservation holder (no order in yet).

My 2c on the iPace....

In the interests of good market research I thought it would be a good idea to experience as many EVs on the market currently as possible. Granted...there's not a lot. I have driven MS and MX previously and have had a few days in a BMW i3 while overseas earlier in the year.

My wife and I test drove the iPace a couple of weeks ago. The (very helpful) salesperson suggested a 24 hour test drive which I completed at the beginning of this week.

Interesting product the iPace. One has to applaud Jaguar for biting the bullet and coming out with such a product. Surely from an EV fan point of view the more cars that come the better I think.

I found it does some things very well while others not so much. It's fast (but then again most EVs are faster than your average fast ICE car) and it's comfortable. The car I drove had the optional air suspension and rode on 22 inch alloys. Firm but very quiet and comfortable ride. Steering feel is superb and the car feels very "chuckable" with minimal to no body roll.

The interior however is a bit of a letdown. Perhaps designed for what the company perceives to be traditional Jaguar fans. I'm not sure that holds true anymore but it is what it is. I think what they were going for was a more traditional car interior to make the car more familiar to existing Jaguar owners. In any case it was very disappointing. Some aspects of the interior design were interesting but in terms of space, screens (quality/resolution/size) and software (speed/responsiveness/easy of use) it was an utter nightmare.

In terms of efficiency it appears that the car is not on par with Tesla's offerings. A full battery first thing in the morning showed 365km available (with pre-conditioning for my trip to work). I drove 58km (80% motorway at 104km/h on cruise control - minimal traffic, climate on) arriving with 270km left. The return trip (same roads and speeds- 58km later) finished with 205km left over. To me (and more experienced EV users please feel free to correct me) puts the usable range for my kind of commute to about 280-300km.

Lastly, the car comes in 3 spec levels (S, SE and HSE). I got a quote for a mid spec car (SE) with some options like HUD, matrix LED headlights, Air suspension. The OTR price quoted was 171k. That puts it firmly in Model X territory and that car has a lot more space, more range and interior tech that is far superior.

Essentially it feels like Jaguar took one of their existing cars and electrified it (yes..I know that it's a ground up product) whereas Teslas feel like new groundbreaking takes on what a car is.

Hi everyone. New member of the forum and M3 reservation holder (no order in yet).

My 2c on the iPace....

In the interests of good market research I thought it would be a good idea to experience as many EVs on the market currently as possible. Granted...there's not a lot. I have driven MS and MX previously and have had a few days in a BMW i3 while overseas earlier in the year.

My wife and I test drove the iPace a couple of weeks ago. The (very helpful) salesperson suggested a 24 hour test drive which I completed at the beginning of this week.

Interesting product the iPace. One has to applaud Jaguar for biting the bullet and coming out with such a product. Surely from an EV fan point of view the more cars that come the better I think.

I found it does some things very well while others not so much. It's fast (but then again most EVs are faster than your average fast ICE car) and it's comfortable. The car I drove had the optional air suspension and rode on 22 inch alloys. Firm but very quiet and comfortable ride. Steering feel is superb and the car feels very "chuckable" with minimal to no body roll.

The interior however is a bit of a letdown. Perhaps designed for what the company perceives to be traditional Jaguar fans. I'm not sure that holds true anymore but it is what it is. I think what they were going for was a more traditional car interior to make the car more familiar to existing Jaguar owners. In any case it was very disappointing. Some aspects of the interior design were interesting but in terms of space, screens (quality/resolution/size) and software (speed/responsiveness/easy of use) it was an utter nightmare.

In terms of efficiency it appears that the car is not on par with Tesla's offerings. A full battery first thing in the morning showed 365km available (with pre-conditioning for my trip to work). I drove 58km (80% motorway at 104km/h on cruise control - minimal traffic, climate on) arriving with 270km left. The return trip (same roads and speeds- 58km later) finished with 205km left over. To me (and more experienced EV users please feel free to correct me) puts the usable range for my kind of commute to about 280-300km.

Lastly, the car comes in 3 spec levels (S, SE and HSE). I got a quote for a mid spec car (SE) with some options like HUD, matrix LED headlights, Air suspension. The OTR price quoted was 171k. That puts it firmly in Model X territory and that car has a lot more space, more range and interior tech that is far superior.

Essentially it feels like Jaguar took one of their existing cars and electrified it (yes..I know that it's a ground up product) whereas Teslas feel like new groundbreaking takes on what a car is.
Noting tesla now have a new suspension system for S and X which I dont think anyone has tried yet.

Thanks very much for the detailed review. But isn't 171k WAAY more than a fully-specced P100D? (and I would get free Ludicrous). So, astonishingly, Jag have priced themselves out of the market with a car that is in many ways inferior to the Tesla.

I was going for the drive away price of the MX P100D without ludicrous mode as per Tesla website. But...Yes and yes. Even if Jaguar is discounting heavily (which I doubt given the number of demo cars on carsales with 6000km on the clock for 160k or thereabouts) I can only see someone choosing the iPace over a Tesla only because of badge loyalty. And in some ways, to me, the car felt designed to satisfy that specific reason. Whichever way you see they have priced themselves out of the wider EV market by, IMO, trying to make what is by design a new/exciting/cutting edge product into a more "traditional" one. The Model S is a better package. The Model X is a better SUV with LOTS more space and more seats. Whichever way I tried to look at it, the iPace just didn't make sense.

My 2c on the iPace....

Great report, saves me even looking into it.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Reactions: ICUDoc