Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@techmaven that's my view too.

Without a "Jaguar Supercharger" network, I think in part they are also treading fairly lightly into the EV arena with view that by the time the car is here it will launch under much better public infrastructure conditions.

One interesting recent development from my perspective is that UK Government is passing a law that gas stations must provide EV charging. It's unclear yet if this is CCS, or they will do something stupid like allow them to put in 7kW A/C ones.

Queen’s Speech backs electric and hydrogen vehicles

Given the smaller distances here it really should cover off a lot of the "charging anxiety". Just the presence of the chargers is likely to have a psychological effect even if they are not particularly fast or conveniently located.

Another really interesting thing is happening here. A huge swathe of previously "coming soon" Supercharger sites, some of which we've been putting pressure on Tesla UK for years, are all of a sudden coming on stream right across the UK. I can't see it being Model 3 related as we are likely at the back of that queue, so such early infrastructure spend seems really odd.

Like the rest of the EU (we haven't officially left quite yet) there is a looming deadline that would force Tesla to also put in CCS to any new sites, so it might be that?

Maybe Tesla UK are a bit spooked by the I Pace as it's very likely to come here first. While it wouldn't necessarily work stateside due to the charging issues, if it's cheaper than an S100D (likely) for the UK market it would be a very tempting alternative. Tesla reinforcing their major benefit (the Supercharger network) may be a preemptive measure. It will be really interesting to watch the UK market post the Frankfurt motor show when we should start seeing firm prices.

Reactions: GSP
Maybe Tesla UK are a bit spooked by the I Pace as it's very likely to come here first. While it wouldn't necessarily work stateside due to the charging issues, if it's cheaper than an S100D (likely) for the UK market it would be a very tempting alternative. Tesla reinforcing their major benefit (the Supercharger network) may be a preemptive measure. It will be really interesting to watch the UK market post the Frankfurt motor show when we should start seeing firm prices.

Well, competition is good. And if nothing else, it might accelerate the availability of the 3 in RHD markets, as well as the Model Y.

Reactions: smac
JD-Power-2017-IQS-rankings.jpg

@Rob stark, I can only imagine where Tesla would be on the "IQS" chart... it's probably fortunate they aren't on it.

Sure Tesla have got better, but I'd be amazed if it still wasn't dead last. Tesla just have a very tolerant set of customers, to the point there are even threads telling people what to check pre-delivery. Call me old fashioned, but isn't that the job of the PDI team?

Anyway this is somewhat moot as the I Pace is being built in the same factory as the 5 series. So we really have no idea if it will be worse than industry average like Jaguar or better like BMW.

The I-Pace is still being engineered by Jaguar not BMW.

With Jaguar's supply chain.

And it will carry Jaguar's badge. With Jaguar's reputation.

In North America at least that means two things. Beautiful design and electrical gremlins. Kinda bad for an electric vehicle.

If we go by Consumer Reports 2016 we know Model S has average reliability and Model X much worse than average reliability but better than the Bottom 20( Model X does not appear on that list). That average is better than the penultimate rank. And 2017 is very likely to be better.

BTW Jaguar has even more tolerant customers. They can buy an almost identical ICE product from a competing firm with far superior reliability. I haven't checked Jaguar forums in years but I would guess there is more than a handful of disgruntled members.

Reactions: Jaff
jaguar-said-in-a-statement-that-taking-a-cab-forward-design-approach-frees-up-room-in-the-interior-to-make-it-more-spacious.jpg

I didn't know about this thread so I cross-posted elsewhere. But wanted to know:

1 - Does this actually seat five people? That middle seat looks smaller than what a single rear seat of what a 6 seat Model X would be.

2 - Is this really coming to the states in 2018 with accessible service centers in every metro area?

1 - Does this actually seat five people? That middle seat looks smaller than what a single rear seat of what a 6 seat Model X would be.

@smac perhaps can help more, but I think we don't know yet. That is a concept interior and styled accordingly. This is a car in the Audi Q5 class, so I would expect second row to seat three for short to medium-range but not for long-range (too uncomfortable), unless they go for a four-seater styling altogether...

2 - Is this really coming to the states in 2018 with accessible service centers in every metro area?

While I wouldn't be surprised by a Europe-focused launch, Jaguar has been collecting the same "names" in the U.S. as they do in Europe for interested people. (There is a reason why some people on this side of the pond are paying more attention to I-Pace than Model 3, some may realistically get it sooner than a Model 3.) The talk is that the I-Pace might go on sale this year in Europe (on sale, not shipping) and 2018 in the U.S., perhaps as a 2019 model. If one is serious about getting an I-Pace, it sounds quite plausible one might get one next year.

As you stated elsewhere competitor research as your motivation, instead that of buying one, I wouldn't worry if I were you. The I-Pace will be a niche model and no threat to Tesla, except in PR. The I-Pace will probably be sold widely, Jaguar seems serious about that, but will not have the volumes to support massive efforts. It will likely be a small trickle far and wide, but still just a small trickle.

Audi e-tron quattro probably deserves more attention from a competition research perspective, also slated for 2018, simply given the juggernaut that is behind it.

While I wouldn't be surprised by a Europe-focused launch, Jaguar has been collecting the same "names" in the U.S. as they do in Europe for interested people. (There is a reason why some people on this side of the pond are paying more attention to I-Pace than Model 3, some may realistically get it sooner than a Model 3.) The talk is that the I-Pace might go on sale this year in Europe (on sale, not shipping) and 2018 in the U.S., perhaps as a 2019 model. If one is serious about getting an I-Pace, it sounds quite plausible one might get one next year.

My line of work takes me very close to the inside of JLR, and I am continually amazed by the disconnect between the scraps of information I hear day-to-day, and the confidence with which Jaguar publicly promises to have this car in customers' hands by next year. We'll see!

My line of work takes me very close to the inside of JLR, and I am continually amazed by the disconnect between the scraps of information I hear day-to-day, and the confidence with which Jaguar publicly promises to have this car in customers' hands by next year. We'll see!

Come on, GerasiEds! Tell us more. :)

Leaks always welcome. Negative as well as positive, anything that's real.

Come on, GerasiEds! Tell us more. :)

Leaks always welcome. Negative as well as positive, anything that's real.

Didn't Eds lose his job? :eek:

Anyway, I don't have any leaks, and if I did, I would at the very least be circumspect enough to create a new account. All I have is a 'feeling' based on overhearing bits of phonecalls, gossip, and the tone in which I hear this project discussed. Sorry to disappoint!
Even though I think the I-Pace is HIDEOUS (seriously, how on earth does anyone, let alone almost everyone, like its design so much? The front is too short, the back doesn't know what it is, the windowline is WAY too high, that weird hole in the bonnet destroys any line that might have existed, the 'face' is much too big for the car etc. etc. its just an ugly thing...), I still hope they bring it to market soon and at a decent price!

• Disagree
Reactions: cizUK
Jaguar-I-Pace-Concept-100.jpg

Looks like someone took a car with an aerodynamic egg-shaped front end and then stuck a "mock ICE" front end over it.

I can't help but laugh a bit at the fake spoiler on the top. And the oversized anti-aero wheels. ;)

I can't take this thing seriously.
I agree a bit regarding the front, but I wouldn't dismiss the spoiler. It probably does the same job as on the Model X. Keeping the flow from separating from the (too) sloped roof, reducing turbulence and drag.

I agree a bit regarding the front, but I wouldn't dismiss the spoiler. It probably does the same job as on the Model X. Keeping the flow from separating from the (too) sloped roof, reducing turbulence and drag.

Too high up for that, unless they're for some bizarre reason expecting flow separation at the very top of the car. If that's actually a real spoiler then they're dragging a large wake. And then why the slant after it - why not just go more rectangular and get more passenger space? I mean, if you're giving up on keeping it laminar so high up...

Usually when you use a roof spoiler (properly, not "rice rocket" style), it's something like you see on the back of your average crossover. Way back, and then a sharp dropoff below it. There's not much point to a gentle slope once the flow is turbulent.

Last edited:
Just put down a deposit on the I-Pace but a little confused about what to expect in the way of pricing. The sales person said it will have the same base price as well as price range as the F-Pace. Have read elsewhere though that it's likely to be higher by 10-15%. That seems a bit expensive for a compact (smaller than F-Pace) crossover.