Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be more fair to compare it to the Model X 75D. When equipped the same, the iPace is $10,000 less, but both are pricey. That means adding paint, deluxe interior, PUP, AP2 to the Model X 75D, but the i-Pace would still have more features, and the X would have more room.
At least here in Norway, if you compare an X75D and an i-Pace S with as similar specs as possible, the i-Pace is $800 less, but it lacks electric adjustable steering wheel, powered front doors, powered rear doors, LED-signature lights, high speed AEB, blind zone warning, dynamic curve lights and 20" wheels. The Model X lacks a heat pump and a comparable sound system. (That means adding tow bar, air suspension, glass roof, sport seats, ashwood, privacy glass, folding mirrors, fog lights, ionizer, powered rear hatch and homelink to the i-Pace, and leather seats to the Model X.)

How do you arrive at the i-Pace having more features?

Reactions: techmaven
If the I-Pace is sort of Model 3 size (with a bit of Model X chucked in) why is it so heavy?

90 kWh NMC large format cell pack. That'll be significantly heavier than even a 100 kWh Tesla pack because of the more stable, lower energy density chemistry they chose.

I don't have numbers, but from past history I expect that their drive motors/inverters are significantly heavier than Tesla versions of the same output. All the fiddly interior gadgets for their fancy luxury features add weight too.

At least here in Norway, if you compare an X75D and an i-Pace S with as similar specs as possible, the i-Pace is $800 less, but it lacks electric adjustable steering wheel, powered front doors, powered rear doors, LED-signature lights, high speed AEB, blind zone warning, dynamic curve lights and 20" wheels. The Model X lacks a heat pump and a comparable sound system. (That means adding tow bar, air suspension, glass roof, sport seats, ashwood, privacy glass, folding mirrors, fog lights, ionizer, powered rear hatch and homelink to the i-Pace, and leather seats to the Model X.)

How do you arrive at the i-Pace having more features?

It's wildly different in the USA. The i-Pace FE is $87k in red with all options. The Model X 75D similarly equipped is $96,500.
I posted some of the feature list for the base FE model on a previous page. I forgot Homelink and air-quality monitor, and power folding heated mirrors, and some other stuff.

Bird's-eye view, better off-road tech, probably better handling, quicker, and... uh... this will start a war... unique looks and prestige.

jipace19mylocation01031801.jpg

As an interested I-Pace buyer the weight does not worry me (I no longer drive to stretch the handling!) and may improve the ride.

I'm just surprised that a 'second generation' EV is heavier than a Tesla Model S......Needs to go 'on a diet'!

The weight is 4,784 lb for the i-Pace 90kWh says JLR.
The Tesla Model S 75D is 4,647 lb according to Tesla.
The Tesla Model X 75X is 5,185 lb according to Tesla.

It's wildly different in the USA. The i-Pace FE is $87k in red with all options. The Model X 75D similarly equipped is $96,500.
I posted some of the feature list for the base FE model on a previous page. I forgot Homelink and air-quality monitor, and power folding heated mirrors, and some other stuff.
Okay, I looked a bit more at the US specs and it's quite apparent they really want to sell them. They've added a bunch of options and dropped the price.

Okay, I looked a bit more at the US specs and it's quite apparent they really want to sell them. They've added a bunch of options and dropped the price.

The big question remains. Did Jaguar do their homework? Buying a Year One anything is always a risk. But Jaguar Land Rover has apparently improved their quality procedures. But really, they didn't have anywhere to go but up. Both Jag and LR are considered 'fashion brands' in the USA. Status symbols. So for them to offer a good value in an EV is quite a surprise. They aren't cheap, but they aren't the most expensive either.

Will they sell? That's really hard to say. JLR has probably spent more marketing dollars on the i-Pace than anybody before in the EV field. By today's standards, it's a great value, but it's certainly not cheap. The F-Pace S is $13k cheaper when similarly equipped, but not as quick.
In California, the difference becomes $2500. And it appears the F-Pace lacks self-steering and high speed auto braking? But it does have a power sunroof and reclining rear seats which the i-Pace does not.

Apparently Jaguar decided their customers wouldn't be happy if their new electric car didn't roar on hard acceleration, so they made up an artificial engine playing through the speakers. Compare ~3:20 and ~5:45 in the video...

Wish they'd release the owner's manual already.
I heard (har) about the sound generator in a review.

Now, we need some Easter Eggs. Make one of the motor sounds a large cat growling.

Reactions: cizUK
I have a feeling that for most folks this will come down to what I've often said is Tesla's real play: Energy. Supercharging in this case. Indeed, I sit here thinking this is probably a better car in almost every way than my Model S and likely addresses most of the issues the Model S has...except it will be relegated to "in town" duty (esp here in Texas) for what is likely the next several years. Heck, we still have to take the gasser on some "in state" trips because even the SuperCharger network isn't built out quite enough yet. I am just having trouble stomaching this kind of coin for a car I can't leave town in...suddenly a Bolt EV seems like a better idea. And yes, yes, I know I can always rent a ride for out of town trips (and all the while wish I was in my homebound i-Pace I'm sure).

Well...

I pulled the trigger on a 2019 Photon Red Jaguar i-Pace EV400 First Edition.

Order # 1454xxxx
Order Date 6/1/18
Last Amendment Possible 6/15/18
Build Date 7/13/18
Delivery Date 9/21/18
Accepted Handover 9/26/18
Planned Handover 9/26/18

Price? If you gotta ask... :D

Jaguar-I-Pace-895183.jpg

I'm not cancelling my Model 3 reservation, but it will be interesting to see which one is available sooner.

Bird's-eye view, better off-road tech, probably better handling, quicker, and... uh... this will start a war... unique looks and prestige.

View attachment 305218

Don’t forget the X is a much bigger vehicle,, sits higher and has a superb front view field.

As I noted earlier, I-Pace is just a smaller Macan and is not in the x’s class.

Since in the Macan class, the I wil not be a long trip vehicle but more of a around town vehicle (took a trip from Naples to Charlotte, NC to escape a Hurricane last summer)....as a 6’ 2”, 200lb guy, it just didn’t work well for me. My wife on the other hand finds the Macan a great fit.

Due to lack of fast charging network, I wouldn’t have been able to make the trip in the i-Pace anyway.

Don’t forget the X is a much bigger vehicle,, sits higher and has a superb front view field.

As I noted earlier, I-Pace is just a smaller Macan and is not in the x’s class.

Since in the Macan class, the I wil not be a long trip vehicle but more of a around town vehicle (took a trip from Naples to Charlotte, NC to escape a Hurricane last summer)....as a 6’ 2”, 200lb guy, it just didn’t work well for me. My wife on the other hand finds the Macan a great fit.

Due to lack of fast charging network, I wouldn’t have been able to make the trip in the i-Pace anyway.

And with the X, you must deal with the gullwing doors in parking structure and your home garage. And it's more money, and not as quick.

The Turbo Macan that has similar acceleration to the Jag is $24,000 more when equipped the same after rebates. But I'm not sure the Macan has autosteering or Land Rover style off-road technology.

The i-Pace is set up to charge to 80% in 40 minutes of it's 84.7 kWh usable capacity on a newer CCS charger.

And with the X, you must deal with the gullwing doors in parking structure and your home garage. And it's more money, and not as quick.

The Turbo Macan that has similar acceleration to the Jag is $24,000 more when equipped the same after rebates. But I'm not sure the Macan has autosteering or Land Rover style off-road technology.

The i-Pace is set up to charge to 80% in 40 minutes of it's 84.7 kWh usable capacity on a newer CCS charger.

Huh, you’re kidding me with that response.

I’ve never had an issue with doors in my homes nor anywhere traveling in two plus years of ownership (43k miles).

Jaguar claims are just that, claims. We’ll see how fast it charges in real use.

btw: not a chance will I find enough “fast” CCS charging to go from Naples to Charlotte (even this summer) in a reasonable amount of time. You’ve clearly rationalized why ipace works for you but right now it’s a very limited vehicle for most Americans.