Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks!
Did I look over it or is there nothing to be found in regards to Carplay or Spotify?

No, at the time that was released Carplay was not a confirmed feature, even now it is not actually listed as a feature but it was said to be something that would be added via an OTA update if it was not available at launch.

It dies appear that it will be ready in time for launch so we just have to wait for the manual to catch up...

You’ve clearly rationalized why ipace works for you but right now it’s a very limited vehicle for most Americans.

Different markets have different needs, the S/X are over-sized and expensive in most of Europe while the I-Pace is a better fit.

Same goes for the CCS network, Europe is getting significant numbers of charge stations that will support faster recharging than the the Tesla network so we should not be surprised to see the appeal of the Tesla offerings waning in Europe unless they can get the M3 on sale pretty soon now...

Huh, you’re kidding me with that response.

I’ve never had an issue with doors in my homes nor anywhere traveling in two plus years of ownership (43k miles).

Jaguar claims are just that, claims. We’ll see how fast it charges in real use.

btw: not a chance will I find enough “fast” CCS charging to go from Naples to Charlotte (even this summer) in a reasonable amount of time. You’ve clearly rationalized why ipace works for you but right now it’s a very limited vehicle for most Americans.

I've even had issues with large pickups/vans in airport/hotel parking structures. They often say 7' (84") clearance but pipes and beams can make that optimistic. The X is 90-94" tall if the door accidently go all the way up. There have been people who have had the issue on this board. It would not have full clearance in my main garage due to door tracks and the opener assy. And I simply don't like Lambo doors or gullwing door which is a personal choice, like I hate convertibles too, except to rent.

And yes, the biggest worry about the Jaguar is that's it's a First Year car. I normally avoid them, buying second year instead. But it's not Jaguar's first luxury 'SUV' (cough). The claims it charges to 80% in 40 minutes are new. It used to be 80% in 'under an hour'.

Since I'm in California, and I use airlines for long trips, the CCS network is not big problem for me. We have CCS chargers here and more are coming.

No $90k car is the right choice for everyone. All new technologies are a gamble. First year autos are risk. I don't mind being a guinea pig. It's not our only car, and if I do long trips, I have a better vehicle for that already. Massage seats with AC/Heat, lots of room, no range issues, quiet, excellent audio, power shades, dual rear seat HDTV, electronic suspension, all-wheel-steering, etc.

The i-Pace will be dad's toy. I will autocross and track the car for kicks, as well as use it as a grocery getter.

The lack of supercharging is definitely the biggest issue, if I were to consider the i-Pace. There's currently something like five 100+ kW CCS chargers in Norway, and it will take ages for the fast CCS chargers to catch up. For the overseeable future, I would have to rely on the 50 kW chargers, and there's a huge difference between stopping 20-30 minutes now and then, and stopping 45-65 minutes now and then. Also the 50 kW chargers usually one have two chargers at each location, which means queuing is common. Having to wait an hour for two Bolts or something to finish charging and then being able to plug in and waiting another hour, just doesn't appeal to me.

Of course, this is a temporary issue, maybe around 2022-2025, the fast CCS network will be similar to what the supercharger network is today.

Different markets have different needs, the S/X are over-sized and expensive in most of Europe while the I-Pace is a better fit.

Same goes for the CCS network, Europe is getting significant numbers of charge stations that will support faster recharging than the the Tesla network so we should not be surprised to see the appeal of the Tesla offerings waning in Europe unless they can get the M3 on sale pretty soon now...

It’s just a small vehicle to me but agree that Europe has different needs (particularly in the UK which would favor the Jag given its production location).

It’s going to be an I terwrting marketplace in 2019 with Tesla’s unveil of the Y scheduled sometime in Q1.

(particularly in the UK which would favor the Jag given its production location)

The production location is Magna Steyr in Austria, so while that does give it a certain quality assurance it isn't particularly UK centric beyond brand nostalgia as Jaguar is Indian owned these days (Tata).

It’s going to be an interesting marketplace in 2019 with Tesla’s unveil of the Y scheduled sometime in Q1.

Just unveiling isn't going to cut it for Tesla anymore, they need production volume and global delivery within 12 months. I'd love to see them do the Y in conjunction with a quality manufacturing operation both from a production design and delivery perspective.

Tesla don't really have the luxury of time anymore, they are not alone now and that will be even more true in another 12 months or so...

The production location is Magna Steyr in Austria, so while that does give it a certain quality assurance it isn't particularly UK centric beyond brand nostalgia as Jaguar is Indian owned these days (Tata).

Just unveiling isn't going to cut it for Tesla anymore, they need production volume and global delivery within 12 months. I'd love to see them do the Y in conjunction with a quality manufacturing operation both from a production design and delivery perspective.

Tesla don't really have the luxury of time anymore, they are not alone now and that will be even more true in another 12 months or so...

RE: Jaguar (& similar to Land Rover): although now owned by Tata, they are still viewed as UK oriented with design, engineering and most of production based in the UK (as I suspect you realize). The combined product lines "soul" are still British....the Indians just write the checks.

Magna contract manufactures the mediocre E-Pace & BMW 5 series hybrid so I don't view the I-Pace being produced there as necessarily a winner.

I think the lack of supercharging infrastructure is only important for long distance travels, meaning longer than 600 km a day or high speed road trips like MotorTrend drove London to Berlin. Then, and then only, will the SuC be an advantage. Because on a 600 km journey, usually 7-9 hours total driving time, most normal people will need at least one hour-long break for a decent meal, probably two.

Tesla has a huge weakness lacking CCS in Europe. There are a lot of CCS 50 kW charger almost everywhere. Those are unavailable for Tesla, you are stuck at 2,3 kW/7,3 kW and a few 11 kW chargers. To bypass this, you could of course use the $600 Chademo-adapter, but it is heavy and takes up a lot of space - to big for the refresh frunk? Count that in the total price. This of course changes if you are able to reach back to a SuC - but if not, you are stuck at slow charging. Each to their own driving habits then.

Seems the reviews so far state that Jag has also addressed some other Tesla Weakness; interior noise levels and ride quality. Looking forward to a test drive soon. Some welcome new features in Norway will be the radar based blind spot monitor, the head light washer system and the heated front windscreen. I don't fancy the start-stop button though. Discarinding that is my favourite Tesla innovation.

False.
With +300 miles of range you are hard pressed not to drive by a SC location.
CCS is useless for long distance, and usless for local.
Just useless.
Here we go again. 175kW CCS chargers are being installed now by Fastned, Ionity and other networks in Europe.

50kW is becoming legacy and will be phased out or be semi-destination chargers.

So the I-Pace will find >100kW charging locations as well.

Reactions: Rprp
To bypass this, you could of course use the $600 Chademo-adapter, but it is heavy and takes up a lot of space - to big for the refresh frunk?

Come on, you know this is BS :)

At the moment, Tesla offers the most comprehensive charging solution, more so than iPace, because historically Tesla have had to offer broader support for charging standards in order to be viable.

Things are changing now, and charging networks are only going to get better. Anyone buying a 2nd-hand iPace in 3 years time is going to have a much better experience than the early adopters (who all seem to know exactly what they are signing up to).

Top Gear, while briefly and weakly, does mention that the EV400 comes with some off-road features. All it lists is the height control though. It has the AdSR? traction system, rollover mitigation, creep mode, speed limiters based on ride height, and the ability to cross 500mm of water.

Reactions: voyager
26-jaguar-i-pace-2018-review-hero-static.jpg

Another review: New Jaguar I-Pace 2018 review

Reactions: McRat