Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...But if it doesn't I think it will appeal to plenty of people who don't drive that far - town drivers, second-car owners, etc...
Which it totally fine for a car that costs less than $70k+ but makes it a hard pill to swallow for an around-town kinda setup IMO. Again, I'm all for more competition, but it seems like it doesn't quite do "anything" right - it may not go that far, it's not cheap, it's not that big, it's not that small, it's technology suite is "fine," etc.

I'm thinking that they've GOT to be able to squeeze more range out of it.

Only anecdotal I'm afraid. On Jag forums people saying that Dealers have stopped giving test drives pending a firmware update from Jag to correct the range issue.

Given that Tesla had efficiency problems when they first launched the D, and Tesla has had plenty of software problems, I think people here should cut JLR some slack on the efficiency and at least wait for one software update before judging the efficiency and the issues with the display.

I have put in a 'I want one' reservation for an I Pace and have a deposit on a Tesla M3 - seeing which (or the Model Y?) is more suitable in due course.

I have been following the Jag forums and the range issue just sort of bubbles away and has clearly unsettled some potential buyers but there is a 'wait and see' attitude.

Following Tesla, one has got used to "When the real car companies come out with EVs then all this half-baked Tesla stuff will be exposed".....Yet here we have Jaguar still trying to sort out (let's be honest..) a fairly fundamental problem even after all the testing and pre-production mules.

I don't get it and think it was unwise of Jaguar to get into this bind (they must have known??!) Rather Tesla-esque?!

After all the positive reviews of the Model 3, the Model Y is looking a good idea (especially if it is just a re-bodied M3 and the early issues are resolved). Particularly if it has a 'squared off' rump so has more internal space (the swept lines of the MX don't do it for me in an SUV!)

But I can see a long wait here in Africa so we are making do with a BMW i3 for now!!

Reactions: Vitold and MP3Mike
You know that Jag has announced that there is a problem with firmware and are sorting it out, right?
I wonder what could be at the root of the issue.

Even if it's the firmware's fault, the energy has to be going somewhere, unless it's strictly a reporting issue... in which case the SOC calculations/display would also have to be incorrect.

If it's not a reporting or calculation issue, then is the inverter in some inefficient mode. Are other car accessories being powered unnecessarily? Are some computing systems running fill-bore all the time? Pack cooling or heating system not being throttled correctly?

According to Bjorn's numbers(11:41 in to the video)... the car is consuming ~3.7KWh more than a Model S while travelling at 56MPH... that's a non-inconsequential additional draw. (and incidentally at that slow a speed, my RWD Model S would be more like 260ish on flat ground with no headwind... so not sure what's up with that number... maybe road conditions)

the SOC calculations/display would also have to be incorrect

Perhaps that is possible - Bjorn did say that he would have preferred to run the battery down lower to have a more "overall" test. But the recent coches.net test of several EVs side-by-side, in Spain, ran them down to zero, and that has similar poor efficiency on the Jag.

If the efficiency is rubbish, and nothing that Jag can do about it, they would have known ... surely??

not sure what's up with that number... maybe road conditions)

There was some damp ... no wet though. I think Bjorn said it was pretty flat (almost no regen), and no wind, 20" wheels. It would be fairly cool in Norway now (test was at night too), so perhaps 10C or a bit less. Thus no significant mitigating circumstances that I can think of. Supposedly Jag has more efficient motors (than Model-S/X) too, and CD not quite so good.

Tesla have improved 0-60 via software update. I presume because they found that the components used had better tolerance than original "conservative" settings.

Could Efficiency similarly be fixed in software? Perhaps some initial "development mode" stuff that is robbing power, or doing things in a non-optimal way? Or is "efficiency", as distinct from "performance", something that would be very hard to imagine could be fixed in software?

Given that Tesla had efficiency problems when they first launched the D, and Tesla has had plenty of software problems, I think people here should cut JLR some slack on the efficiency and at least wait for one software update before judging the efficiency and the issues with the display.
I think they should cut them slack too.....& wait for the model update in 2021.
I mean, it’s not like they’ve got nearly a century of vehicle production experience.

• Funny
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
How different is the E-pace body and size compared to the I-Pace?

2018 Jaguar E-Pace review: So much fun, so many annoyances
Very very different.
The E-pace is narrower and shorter, and feels higher. The floor though is lower, so foot position is different. The bonnet is huge but the boot is smaller; shallow and narrow, but high.
Also feels old fashion and less premium interior. I-pace has interior space more similar to the F-pace.

New Jag press release - an I-Pace drives 229 miles from London to Brussels, using 92% of the battery pack's charge.
https://media.jaguar.com/news/2018/...h-channel-tunnel-cross-continent-i-pace-drive

And that's drove all the way - they drove through the Chunnel's service tunnel.

Two minute video:

For me, the two key stats were:
258 mile total range implied at 70% SoC (based on 292km remaining) (blink and you'll miss it display @ 1:18)
249 mile total range implied at 92% SoC (based on 229 miles driven).