Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the matrix headlights. The car certainly seems confident and comfortable at speed in the video.
I just drove an I-Pace for about an hour in Zurich. The salesman gave me the key, showed the on-off button and where D,P,N was and wished me fun. Much of the trip was in negotiating narrow and winding local roads. In spite of its width (by our standards) it feels nimble with excellent steering that is completely unimpressed by bumpy roads. On some short stretches of modest mountain roads, the car felt definitely very sporty - surprisingly so, when sitting at a near SUV-levels above ground. I understand the comments of professional testers about its sports-car qualities. It was overall a pleasant experience. The interface for the most common settings was pretty straightforward and would take no extraordinary familiarisation effort. I did not experience any "unfamiliarity-stress" or the "complexity-confusion" mentioned by some testers. The HUD in the screen showed the actual speed limit and the speed I was at. Hopefully I managed to keep within limits. The car is easy to load and the back seats can be pushed down effortlessly. Perhaps my old Tesla Roadster is a tad smoother on the accelerator pedal at low maneuvring speeds and reacts a bit differently when decelerating and when adding also the brakes. The car is likely to sell well. According to the sales staff, deliveries of orders taken today, should arrive in about 9 months time.

Good story on insideevs about Bjorn testing the I-Pace at a 350kW fast charger:

Jaguar I-PACE Tested At 350 kW Ultra-Fast Charger

Looks like 84kW is the highest rate achieved...

ipace84_zpswit4i3wi.jpg

Interesting curve. Thanks for posting.

It confirms the slower taper. Suggests the peak is at the same SoC at the Tesla 90kWh battery.

Shows that the current software is CCS 1 only. This is bad.

There was no advance notice from Jag that it was CCS 1 only atm. This is also very bad.

It contradicts their own point of sales materials. This is very very bad.

They had not said anything about this upfront. This is also bad.

No word from Jaguar on a schedule for the OTA for unlocking CCS 2. This is also bad.

• Informative
Reactions: Nathan and daktari
Bjorn Nyland drives the German Autobahn at max speed:

Roughly 640wh/km at 200km/h, or 1032wh/mile at 124mph.
Awesome vid! Real jelly that the Europeans can have matrix headlights!! From Bjorn's other XP90DL Autobahn video...the XP90DL has a higher top end speed, accelerates faster, but the iPace has higher regen, MUCH higher energy consumption, less noise, and it seems to not gimp/limit power to its top speed.

I am super keen to get an EV SUV as soon as possible so the I Pace is an interesting option.

Recently I got to spend a couple of hours with some I Paces in London and have a decent test drive. So here are my thoughts if they are helpful to others considering an I Pace. The photos I had seen looked very positive!

My first surprise was how 'small' it was in reality – it was dwarfed by the F Pace parked nearby. Not in overall length or width but by the lower roofline and coupe rear window. The internal space and usefulness is limited – this may not discourage certain buyers but it is a problem for us as it would have to be our multi-purpose hauler.

Indeed it a more of a sporty hatchback crossover – almost closer to a saloon. I like its looks and particularly as it is a ground-up EV design - unlike the poor Audi/Mercedes/Hyundai compromises – although in real life it is not quite as appealing as in photographs – slightly more dumpy and angular.

The interior in the First Edition version is very nice and classy. Sadly when I went to sit in the basic S and SE versions the interior becomes underwhelming and loses that special feeling. I think that Jag have made a mistake in trying to 'save money' in the cheaper versions (which aren't cheap!) - the cost difference must be minimal.

It did drive very nicely with lots of poke. Quiet and pleasant ride. The steering did feel a bit lazy ofter our BMW i3 but that is very agile and way lighter.

Overall a decent effort by Jaguar and if it suits your lifestyle a good option (if the range/energy consumption issue can be resolved or is not critical for you).

I think it may be a similar size to the Tesla Model Y when it sees the light of day – possibly a bit lower – so the relative costs will be interesting in AWD form. I think the I Pace pricing seems a bit on the high side – especially as Jag originally implied that it would only have a small premium over the F Pace.

What surprised me is how poor the I-Pace's efficiency is on the road. Bjorn's recent road trips show about 2.2 miles per kWh consumption (450 Wh/mi) at slow highway speeds of around 65 MPH. I-Pace owners are going to spend a lot of time charging.

You mean when they take road trips on their mostly non-existent charging network?

The worse efficiency is unfortunate, but I doubt it'll affect day to day usage much, if at all. It will be a detriment on road trips - but I don't think anyone who buys an iPace today is giving much thought to road trips with it.

You mean when they take road trips on their mostly non-existent charging network?

The worse efficiency is unfortunate, but I doubt it'll affect day to day usage much, if at all. It will be a detriment on road trips - but I don't think anyone who buys an iPace today is giving much thought to road trips with it.

It's possible that most of them will be used for in-town duty, in which case they'll be okay.

For fun, I plotted a route from Washington, DC to Orlando Florida on ABRP. I used the Model 3 and set the Wh/mi to 450 instead of the recommended 247, which should give a pretty good example of how an I-Pace would perform.

Settings: Depart charge: 100%, charger arrival: 15%, destination arrival: 35%, reference speed 100%.

Assuming the I-Pace could use Superchargers, which it obviously can't, the trip would be 9 stops for a total of 3 hours and 35 minutes of charging across the 850 mile trip. For comparison, a Model 3 would do it in 5 stops and 1 hour, 44 minutes of charging. A Model X 75D with its smaller battery pack would also do it in 9 stops, and total charging time would be 3 hours and 21 minutes.

For fun, I plotted a route from Washington, DC to Orlando Florida on ABRP. I used the Model 3 and set the Wh/mi to 450 instead of the recommended 247, which should give a pretty good example of how an I-Pace would perform.

Settings: Depart charge: 100%, charger arrival: 15%, destination arrival: 35%, reference speed 100%.

Assuming the I-Pace could use Superchargers, which it obviously can't, the trip would be 9 stops for a total of 3 hours and 35 minutes of charging across the 850 mile trip. For comparison, a Model 3 would do it in 5 stops and 1 hour, 44 minutes of charging. A Model X 75D with its smaller battery pack would also do it in 9 stops, and total charging time would be 3 hours and 21 minutes.

That isn't a fair estimation at all, the Model 3 only has a 75kWh battery so you can't use the I-Pace efficiency. You should try it again but use a Model S or X 90D and set the efficiency to 450 Wh/mile and see how it works out.

Reactions: Big Earl
My wife and I did the whole jag experience thing over the weekend (in San Mateo CA)

We both got a tiny test drive the ipace and did the smart cone course. The smart cone course is like an AutoX but with a randomly generated course, and the object isnt nesc speed, but also "accuracy" between the cones (meaning you get penalized for trying to apex corners)

Anyway, the ipace feels great. The acceleration was pretty awesome, def gives you that ev grin, but nothing too crazy IMO. Def faster than most things on the road, but you aint gonna bring it to the strip every weekend.

The interior was very nice in my opinion, and the HUD was a cool touch. On the way home, I noticed that the event organizers didnt use the space ship fake engine noise. I drive an ev all the time, so the lack of noise didnt dawn on me until much later.

The regen was awesome, 1 pedal driving is easy to do with this car...it kinda-sorta reminded me of a manual transmission car in first gear when you lift off the throttle.

Seats felt nice and supportive...I never slid around the seat when cornering hard. (the test drive car had the racing/bucket seats and my smart cone car has more 'normal' seats) In fact, I didnt think about nothing but just driving, the ipace felt great as a driver.

The car (yeah, i said car) is small on the inside from what you would expect on the outside, but not as small as I was lead to believe...but I would have trouble calling this an SUV or even a CUV. It looks like a big car IMO. There is space for 2 car seats in the rear, but not 3. And with 2 carseats, you prob wouldn't be able to have a middle passenger.

Other than that, the event was great, the car was great, and a lot of people will want one of these. I wanted one before, and I really want one now. My wife seemed to like it much more than the model S we test drove a while back. She kept remarking how the interior felt like it was for a car of the price and how the model S felt "cheap" on the inside in comparison.

With that said, my wife was disappointed with the interior space, but like the car over all, while my opinion of the car was already positive, but it was even more so after driving it.

some facts about me to give some perspective of my impression:
1) I daily a rav4EV
2) my other cars are japanese imports...both are highly modified (i rebuilt the engines in both, added turbo chargers, after market suspension, an LSD etc etc etc...i do all my own wrenching) i say this to give an idea on my opinion performance.
3) i used to be an autoX nut...but not so much anymore, i used to run in the STS class. once i went turbo, i stopped autoX-ing
4) I'm 6'7 and Im all legs, so driving comfort is a big deal to me

Yeah, I was at the San Mateo event too and came away pretty impressed.

The interior was great, seats super comfy, HUD was easy to read, and the handling was just superb. Jaguar really nailed the sports car feel as much as they could considering it's an SUV.

The one thing that didn't work at all for me was Jag's adaptive cruise control. Tried turning it on but nothing happened.

What is the battery degradation supposedly going to look like?

I don't think anyone can give you an intelligent answer at this point. It's a new pack in a new configuration with a new cooling system from a different manufacturer. I don't think we've even seen data on the thermal management system limit settings or the 0 and 100% cell voltages yet.

Historically, liquid cooled systems have generally done fairly well, and I understand this is a liquid cooled pack - there's just so much we don't know yet.