Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The I-Pace has won the Scottish, UK, European and now World Car of the Year award...

Jaguar's electric I-Pace takes the World Car of the Year award

I've had mine for about 12 weeks now. It's a fantastic car and I know I made the right choice.

I've driven the I-Pace and while it is a good car there are 3 main reasons I choose the model 3:

- The fact that it doesn't support 3 phase charging is a BIG mistake. In the UK you might have 1phase 80+ amps, in the rest of europe we usually get 32amps (3 phase). It's a big mistake of jaguar engineers. I've heard they admitted this and the next edition will support 3phase charging.
- Range is very disappointing. (in real life, not on paper)
- Electronics / gadgets are just so much better on tesla model 3.

Reactions: hereu
It's the green car of the year but for some strange reasons the Model 3 was not even in the running. Looking at the scores I kind of think these cars were just competing for the runner up. The Model 3 would blow everyone away in pretty much EVERY category on the score board.

2019 World Car Awards - Results :: World Car Awards

Unfortunately the I-Pace would have been a pretty attractive car without the Tesla. On the other hand we would never see cars like I-Pace if there were no Tesla.

Last edited:
It's the green car of the year but for some reason the Model 3 is not even in the running. Looking at the scores I kind of think they are just competing for the runner up. The Model 3 would blow everyone away in pretty much every category.

Some clues as to why Tesla don't figure in the awards:

"the annual World Car Awards are... ...based on Prime Research's 2018 media report."

"PRIME has been working with Jaguar and Land Rover since 2010, supporting both brands throughout a period of exceptional growth."

"The awards are administered by a not-for-profit association, under the guidance of an awards management and advisory group of prominent automotive journalists"

It's also about timing, because although it's a 2019 award, it's based on 2018 information and the Model 3 wasn't in Europe during 2018. This is billed as a 'World' car award, but look at everyone involved and you'll see it's very much Europe centric.

I've driven the I-Pace and while it is a good car there are 3 main reasons I choose the model 3:

- The fact that it doesn't support 3 phase charging is a BIG mistake. In the UK you might have 1phase 80+ amps, in the rest of europe we usually get 32amps (3 phase). It's a big mistake of jaguar engineers. I've heard they admitted this and the next edition will support 3phase charging.
- Range is very disappointing. (in real life, not on paper)
- Electronics / gadgets are just so much better on tesla model 3.

I agree about the 3 phase charging and that would have made me think twice.

The efficiency would be slightly better than a model X in day to day use. Tesla Bjorn did a range test with Model X, I-Pace and the E-Tron. The results were that the E-Tron was last, the I-Pace was best on "A" roads and the Model X was best on motorways. He actually cheated to let the Model X win by the smallest of margins. (he makes a taxable pay from Tesla). If the test had gone the full intended route then the I-Pace would have won.

The Model S and Model 3 are lower cars and give a better range if that's high on your criteria list.

I believe you should get the EV that fits your situation best and the answer isn't the same for everyone. I was a 1st-day reservation holder for a Model 3 but that hasn't appeared in the UK yet and has no firm date (over 3 years down the line).

When I saw the I-pace in the flesh, that Tesla deposit was placed on the I-Pace and I have no regrets. If I had gone with the Model 3, or any Tesla then I would have gone backward in build and interior quality.

It's the green car of the year but for some strange reasons the Model 3 was not even in the running. Looking at the scores I kind of think these cars were just competing for the runner up. The Model 3 would blow everyone away in pretty much EVERY category on the score board.

Unfortunately the I-Pace would have been a pretty attractive car without the Tesla. On the other hand we would never see cars like I-Pace if there were no Tesla.

Maybe the green car isn't just about efficiency. The I-Pace is a fantastic car and most on the I-Pace forum love their cars (coming from Porsche, Tesla, Merc, Audi etc). There are some teething issues (mostly software) that some have had but very small issues.

Tesla, Nissan and BMW have all pushed the cause. I believe the I-Pace and E-Tron are next level for a lot of buyers, especially in Europe.

I am a big Tesla fan but the reality is my local dealer is around 140 miles away. Jaguar is 30 miles. I would never really need to use the "current" Supercharger network and the I-Pace is better value (in the UK) for what you are getting IMO.

@hereu The Model X sits seven and is (much) bigger, heavier and taller, not to mention way more powerful (the performance version). One uncontrolled test aside it still has significantly better efficiency than the I-Pace from everything else I've seen. I-Pace is probably fine in the traditional car sence but not very advanced compares to Tesla in the EV sense. Then again this is just another proof that even a so-so EV feels much nicer to drive than traditional ICE cars. I still remember how years ago Leaf owners all love their pretty unispired car. And more recently Bolt owners too although people stopped buying it when the Model 3 came out.

I'm sure people on the I-Pace forum love their cars just like people on this forum love their Tesla. What I can't understand is why you want to come to the Tesla forum to justify your decision if you are so confident of it? After all it's your own decision. Do you see any Tesla owner having to go to the I-Pace forum to explain why they have bought a Tesla?

Last edited:
How do you find the Jaguar equivalent of AutoPilot for daily use?

I haven't had enough experience with Tesla autopilot to compare but...

The I-Pace "autopilot" consists of Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist. It works well on roads with white lines on either side and feels dependable. Ideal for motorways.
It won't change lanes when you indicate as the Tesla will do.
My salesman said he used it through a town and it was amazing but I would really only use it on a motorway, whatever car I had.
I don't use it daily.

You really need a proper handover when you get the I-Pace just like you do when you get your first Tesla. I have seen a lot of Tesla drives (Youtube) jump into an I-Pace without knowing what they are doing and just criticising it because it works in a different way to what they know. It can get frustrating and create a false impression.

It took me around 500-1000 miles to feel 100% comfortable with the setting up and using all the features in a comfortable way and I'm sure your 1st Tesla would be the same. You can obviously jump in and drive it fine but working everything properly takes a bit of experience.

I'm not getting into a 'my car's better than yours' discussion, as I don't own either a Tesla nor an I-Pace, but I do wonder what the I-Pace and similar new Model 3 competitors will be like when they've got several tens of thousands of miles and a couple of years on them. Especially the battery.

@hereu The Model X sits seven and is (much) bigger, heavier and taller, not to mention way more powerful (the performance version). One uncontrolled test aside it still has significantly better efficiency than the I-Pace from everything else I've seen. I-Pace is probably fine in the traditional car sence but not very advanced in the EV sense. Then again this is just another proof that even a so-so EV feels much nicer to drive than traditional ICE cars. I still remember how years ago Leaf owners all love their pretty unispired cars. And more recently Bolt owners although people stopped buying it when the Model 3 came out.

I accept Tesla has a better consumption all things considered but it's not by a massive amount in the same environment and that isn't the most important thing in my case. If it was I would have got another 650mile per tank Deisel.

The Model X performance is around double the cost and is an unfair comparison. The I-Pace seemed to have slightly better acceleration than the Model X in a similar price bracket. The I-Pace is a fantastic drivers car. We seem to favour crossover size cars in the UK and the I-Pace is a good fit.
If I lived in SF bay area then I may well find a Tesla would be the right fit for me (outlets, charging, etc) but that doesn't mean the I-Pace is lacking in any way for others.

What makes you think the I-Pace isn't advanced?

I'm sure people on the I-Pace forum love their cars just like people on this forum love their Tesla. What I can't understand is why you want to come to the Tesla forum to justify your decision if you are so confident of it? After all it's your own decision. Do you see any Tesla owner having to go to the I-Pace forum to explain why they have bought a Tesla?

I first came joined here around the time of ordering the Tesla model 3 to keep up with everything. I had followed the S and X up until then.
This part of the forum is called Jaguar I-Pace in the general part of the forum. I moved to this part when I became interested in the I-Pace after seeing a couple of posts on the Model 3 part of the forum.

Why did you venture to the I-Pace discussion? Are you considering it as your next car?

Does it even have OTA? In three years your I-Pace will be a three year old I-Pace and even worse compares to a Tesla bought today.

Watch this Munro interview that will give you some idea. It's long but if you have time to waste here you should watch it to learn something.

The I-Pace got an OTA update that increased the CCS speed. So they are probably the first non-Tesla maker that has done an OTA for something other than the infotainment unit.

I received my I-PACE today, on a ridiculously cheap (for the car's price) lease.

I haven't really driven it much, but whacked it straight into Dynamic Mode. And turned down the annoying interior simulated engine noise + set regen to high. None of this weaning you slowly into the world of electric cars crap please, Jaguar. The acceleration is enjoyable, certainly takes a bit of getting used to coming from a noticeably less powerful 2018 LEAF. Overall it feels quite like some of the original Tesla Model S Performance models in terms of its power and responsiveness. Can certainly push you back into the seat and you kind of need to warn your passengers when you're about to accelerate hard.

It certainly has a nice interior, as expected. Good feeling, very nice plush materials. Doesn't feel as spacious inside as you might expect from its dimensions. And the "frunk" is hilariously small. I almost burst out laughing when the delivery driver was showing it to me. The boot is nice and large though, certainly more than enough space for my needs. I like the little map display above the steering wheel and the reversing camera is very clear - both significantly better than on my 2018 LEAF. The main infotainment screen feels a bit nicer as well, but not a scratch on even the old 2012 Tesla Model S I drove.

I spent some time today in the nice weather cleaning it up and applying some protection (had annoying watermarks on it from the rain). It's somewhat larger in person than it appears from the photos, a nice looking car overall. Quite a few heads have been turned as I've been driving it around, although that might've been the combination of novelty and ridiculously shiny new-looking black car. I look forward to driving it more over the weekend and I still can't quite get over how much car you're getting for the money on the lease deal I got.

However; I would not buy the car for full price. I think the Model 3 is a much better value proposition. Depending on your opinion and experiences this could sway either way, but for me:

- CCS charging is unreliable in the UK. I'm an experienced EV driver, I know the score. Having 8+ Superchargers at each location vs. a few CCS chargers (if that) which may or may not be working is vastly better. The Model 3 of course has the option of using either.

- This car sucks up electricity like nobody's business. Obviously haven't done any long distance driving myself yet, but I've done my research and know what to expect here. The Model 3 is simply far more efficient.

- The infotainment system feels massively outdated compared to the Model 3's screen. I'm also not a fan of all of the knobs and buttons. I'm sorry if it's clichéd, but I much prefer the tight integration that Tesla uses. I'm not an "old driver", I'm a millenial who has only ever driven EVs since learning to drive. So YMMV.

- No lovely glass roof as you get on even the basic Model 3. Have to pay a significant premium to Jaguar for that luxury.

- The car is somewhat larger (wider) than I would personally choose, the Model 3 is more my size. But it's not too bad - less boat like to drive than the Model S, no question.

- I prefer the look of the Model 3, although really like the unique look and styling of both vehicles. This is an important aspect to me, personally, when it comes to my car choice. I was utterly uninspired by the 2018 LEAF in that respect.

Last edited:
I received my I-PACE today, on a ridiculously cheap (for the car's price) lease.

Please do tell. Whats your anticipated TOC (total cost of ownership) over the I presume 3 year lease?

I haven't really driven it much, but whacked it straight into Dynamic Mode. And turned down the annoying interior simulated engine noise + set regen to high.
I do hope you mean 'turned off' - this was one of the more annoying things about the 2015 VW egolf. I looked into adding a resistor bypass to its outside speaker, the noise generator was in the right front wheelwell, but did not want to mess up my resale value and the real fix was trading it in for a Model 3 LR in january 2018.

The acceleration is enjoyable, certainly takes a bit of getting used to coming from a noticeably less powerful 2018 LEAF. Overall it feels quite like some of the original Tesla Model S Performance models in terms of its power and responsiveness. Can certainly push you back into the seat and you kind of need to warn your passengers when you're about to accelerate hard.

Awesome to hear that it is that good. Also you commented below on handling of Model S to be more like a boat in comparison - I have that feeling coming from Model X to Model 3, Model X is more serene limousine highway driving while the Model 3 is more sporty cornering fun that doesnt feel like a boat. Am I hearing that i-pace drives more like a Model 3 than a Model S?

Generally I think i-pace should be compared to model 3 since both are 5-seaters with 2 rows of seats and have no motorized front doors, fancy falcon wing doors or monopost white seats with shiny black backs like spaceship features. The only thing that pushes the i-pace into Model X territory are the adjustable suspension and the kickstarter pricing ?

How does the size of the screen for looking at your road trip itinerary feel ? How does navigation support you in terms of knowing when and where and for how long you will stop etc? Tesla has refined their system for 10 years, so I do expect the i-pace also to get better over time on that front. Same as Audi e-tron which at first glance looked terrible.

Does the screen have pinch-zoom multitouch?

Sounds you got yourself into a fun adventure. Report as you find out more...

Reactions: EVMeister
You have to remember that going straight to dynamic mode with that power will be far more power hungry than your old Leaf :D

There are people on the Jaguar forum expecting to manage 300 miles per full charge (S with 18" wheels,pre-heating etc) in the Summer without hypermiling.

If I was a millennial then I'd probably prefer a Model 3 also :rolleyes:

I thought I would find the infotainment laggy but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Have you checked that you are on the latest update?

Set-up your home screen with your favorite buttons (Long press on the home button then select the blank screen).

And give us an update once you have done a 1000 miles.

- CCS charging is unreliable in the UK. I'm an experienced EV driver, I know the score. Having 8+ Superchargers at each location vs. a few CCS chargers (if that) which may or may not be working is vastly better. The Model 3 of course has the option of using either.

This [from a central European perspective]. The Supercharger network still is one of the very best arguments for buying a Tesla.

Awesome to hear that it is that good. Also you commented below on handling of Model S to be more like a boat in comparison - I have that feeling coming from Model X to Model 3, Model X is more serene limousine highway driving while the Model 3 is more sporty cornering fun that doesnt feel like a boat. Am I hearing that i-pace drives more like a Model 3 than a Model S?

Generally I think i-pace should be compared to model 3 since both are 5-seaters with 2 rows of seats and have no motorized front doors, fancy falcon wing doors or monopost white seats with shiny black backs like spaceship features. The only thing that pushes the i-pace into Model X territory are the adjustable suspension and the kickstarter pricing ?

How does the size of the screen for looking at your road trip itinerary feel ? How does navigation support you in terms of knowing when and where and for how long you will stop etc? Tesla has refined their system for 10 years, so I do expect the i-pace also to get better over time on that front. Same as Audi e-tron which at first glance looked terrible.

Does the screen have pinch-zoom multitouch?

Sounds you got yourself into a fun adventure. Report as you find out more...

The I-Pace is serine limo, planted, with sporty handling and steering.

I would describe the I-Pace to be more like a luxury model Y.

The screen is excellent and maps have "Google world view" if you desire. The nav probably hasn't all the Tesla features but it does show up a list of chargers as in nearest first. This is needing more time to perfect as not all chargers are showing.

It has a very good pinch to zoom.

Reactions: Skryll