Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@hereu

Yes it has the latest update. It wasn't just the latency of the screen, although that is bothersome. In the same way I'm bothered when I use a work PC that's not as responsive as my powerful home PC with its SSDs and high refresh rate monitor. It was the overall size as well (the Tesla screens are really unbeatable for map display etc.) I'm not saying the I-PACE is bad in that respect, it isn't. But what Tesla offers for infotainment is simply better in my view. I will experiment without Dynamic Mode as well, I'm only doing city driving at the moment and can charge easily so I'm not concerned about the range.

@Skryll

It is actually only an 18 month lease, ~£400 (~$520) per month. No deposit. That wouldn't get you much of a Tesla, that's for sure! ;) Especially not in the UK, the Model 3 isn't available here yet. And yeah, I did mean turn "off" the sound. Actually it doesn't have setting to turn it "off" as far as I recall. I just turned it all the way down to the bottom, which means it's either off or inaudible.

The I-PACE handling feels really nice to me, although I'm not used to it yet as I've really only done a small amount of driving. It's certainly more nimble than the Model S and actually better than my LEAF (smaller car, just not as responsive feeling with the steering). I haven't had the pleasure of driving a Model 3 so can't compare. I only sat in one and saw several from the outside - really impressed with that car in the metal. But based on what people have said about handling on the Model 3, I'd say the I-PACE was closer to that than to the Model S. I would imagine the Model 3 handles better than the I-PACE due to size and weight etc. but I suppose it could be subjective. I recall reading some reviews suggesting that was the case as well, certainly more sporty and nimble.

The navigation really amazed me on the Tesla models I've seen, I have to say. The amount of information, the resolution and how clear everything was is simply unrivalled even by the I-PACE. I certainly think the I-PACE's map system is more than adequate for the job. And as hereu mentioned the way it shows the charging points is very nice. It's way better than the LEAF and the ZOE I had before that. It's just an area where Tesla really excels and I feel leaves others in the dust. Without upgrading the size or resolution of the display there's only so much Jaguar could do in the future to improve this. There is pinch to zoom, I'm not sure about multi-touch. I'll have a play with that a bit later.

It is actually only an 18 month lease, ~£400 (~$520) per month. No deposit. That wouldn't get you much of a Tesla, that's for sure! ;)

Yes, that would be the base model 3+ WITH autopilot, but without the $5k FSD option, in black :)

The lease according to tesla.com/model3 for that would be $504 /mom $3,000 down, 36 months, 10,000 miles, so thats about $21k plus whatever lease extra costs happen

I looked at lease offers for an ipace and the first one I found was something like $12k down ($4600 cash out of pocket, rest is handing over the money for your $7500 federal tax credit), $1000/month, 7.5k miles limit and $0.30/mile overage after that: New 2019 Jaguar I-PACE SE With Navigation & AWD

So you definitely got a much better deal than colejaguar would give somebody in the SF bay area.

UPDATED: 3+ with autopilot, not 3 without autopilot

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
@hereu

Yes it has the latest update. It wasn't just the latency of the screen, although that is bothersome. In the same way I'm bothered when I use a work PC that's not as responsive as my powerful home PC with its SSDs and high refresh rate monitor. It was the overall size as well (the Tesla screens are really unbeatable for map display etc.) I'm not saying the I-PACE is bad in that respect, it isn't. But what Tesla offers for infotainment is simply better in my view. I will experiment without Dynamic Mode as well, I'm only doing city driving at the moment and can charge easily so I'm not concerned about the range.

@Skryll

It is actually only an 18 month lease, ~£400 (~$520) per month. No deposit. That wouldn't get you much of a Tesla, that's for sure! ;) Especially not in the UK, the Model 3 isn't available here yet. And yeah, I did mean turn "off" the sound. Actually it doesn't have setting to turn it "off" as far as I recall. I just turned it all the way down to the bottom, which means it's either off or inaudible.

The I-PACE handling feels really nice to me, although I'm not used to it yet as I've really only done a small amount of driving. It's certainly more nimble than the Model S and actually better than my LEAF (smaller car, just not as responsive feeling with the steering). I haven't had the pleasure of driving a Model 3 so can't compare. I only sat in one and saw several from the outside - really impressed with that car in the metal. But based on what people have said about handling on the Model 3, I'd say the I-PACE was closer to that than to the Model S. I would imagine the Model 3 handles better than the I-PACE due to size and weight etc. but I suppose it could be subjective. I recall reading some reviews suggesting that was the case as well, certainly more sporty and nimble.

The navigation really amazed me on the Tesla models I've seen, I have to say. The amount of information, the resolution and how clear everything was is simply unrivalled even by the I-PACE. I certainly think the I-PACE's map system is more than adequate for the job. And as hereu mentioned the way it shows the charging points is very nice. It's way better than the LEAF and the ZOE I had before that. It's just an area where Tesla really excels and I feel leaves others in the dust. Without upgrading the size or resolution of the display there's only so much Jaguar could do in the future to improve this. There is pinch to zoom, I'm not sure about multi-touch. I'll have a play with that a bit later.

Great deal. wow.

Thanks for all the write up on the experience.

When I think of buying an I-Pace...

Why would I buy a Nokia, when I can get an iPhone?

Why would I shop at Sears, when I can order from Amazon?

It's actually more Android than Nokia and more Walmart.com than Sears.

Read back in how people experience it, supposed to be fun to drive. So when you get a good deal on a lease, may be worth it.

It’s not competitive and they are losing a ton of money with a $500/ month lease.

Cut them some slack. Tesla has been doing this for what, then years now? i-pace is not bad for a first iteration of the product. They also will bring cost down over time and fix some of the shortcomings like the lack of frunk, software etc, if only they figure out their battery supply.

Jaguar Director Continues To Push For More EVs

Last edited:
You don't drive an iPhone! :D

We all have great valid reasons as to how we justify our purchase. There is as much love for the I-Pace with its owners (including ex Tesla owners) as there is with Tesla owners for their cars.

The reason for the small "frunk" is because the I-Pace was designed and built as an EV from the ground up. The cabin is brought forward giving more internal room than other cars with the same external dimensions. You do not need a large "hood" in an EV. The large hood means the body is based on an ICE car design from the start.

You don't drive an iPhone! :D

We all have great valid reasons as to how we justify our purchase. There is as much love for the I-Pace with its owners (including ex Tesla owners) as there is with Tesla owners for their cars.

The reason for the small "frunk" is because the I-Pace was designed and built as an EV from the ground up. The cabin is brought forward giving more internal room than other cars with the same external dimensions. You do not need a large "hood" in an EV. The large hood means the body is based on an ICE car design from the start.

Does not compute. Are you saying Tesla vehicles, with their capacious trunks, are designed as ICE vehicles?

But I agree with you, there is a lot of love for the I-PACE and rightfully so. I'm quite sick of the whole Tesla vs. I-PACE (and other EVs) thing. I think the I-PACE is a fantastic vehicle to drive, it's tremendous fun and is a very well thought-out vehicle on the whole. I would say the same about many Tesla vehicles as well. I think they have distinct advantages (including range-efficiency and power draw) and some have better performance if you like that kind of thing. The interiors are unique but a bit like Marmite. Some people like the minimalism and huge infortainment screen, others like the more traditional luxury of the Jaguar.

Each to their own. As I said in my earlier post I wouldn't personally buy an I-PACE outright. I think Tesla Model 3s offer much better value for money. But that doesn't mean the I-PACE isn't an excellent vehicle - and I've driven plenty of EVs, so I think I am a fair judge of that. :)

As an aside, I'm enjoying the normal "Comfort" setting vs. the "Dynamic" I originally used. It's less twitchy but easy enough to put down the power when you want it. I can't speak of range or efficiency really, I've only done city driving so far and it's just fine for that with ready access to chargers.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Does not compute. Are you saying Tesla vehicles, with their capacious trunks, are designed as ICE vehicles?

Yes, It's well documented that the Model S was originally designed to be able to take an engine. It was just my reply to someone who couldn't understand why the I-Pace has a small "frunk".

As an aside, I'm enjoying the normal "Comfort" setting vs. the "Dynamic" I originally used. It's less twitchy but easy enough to put down the power when you want it. I can't speak of range or efficiency really, I've only done city driving so far and it's just fine for that with ready access to chargers.

I couldn't really tell much difference between Dynamic and Comfort when I first got the car. Now after 12 weeks I have started using Dynamic more as I notice the difference more after 12 weeks of Comfort.
Comfort is still my default driving style.

I would have happily had my Model 3 if they had delivered it quicker (they had my deposit for nearly 3 years) but you have to wonder how well the quality of service will be in the UK going forward when they are closing all showrooms and haven't even got a delivery time after 3 years of holding deposits.
Is Tesla opening any more new charging stations in the UK? There was 63 new CCS charging locations last month alone in the UK with no sign of it slowing down. It's like CCS is starting to move.
I know Tesla can use CCS but it's eroding that advantage.

If I lived in CA then I would probably be driving a Tesla :D

This video gives some idea of the I-Pace for those who haven't seen or driven one...

Is Tesla opening any more new charging stations in the UK? There was 63 new CCS charging locations last month alone in the UK with no sign of it slowing down. It's like CCS is starting to move.
I know Tesla can use CCS but it's eroding that advantage.

If I lived in CA then I would probably be driving a Tesla :D

This video gives some idea of the I-Pace for those who haven't seen or driven one...

Even with 2 motors, the S and the 3 have usable frunk space. I don’t buy the nearly useless frunk space because it was designed from scratch as an EV.

Yes, Tesla keeps adding in the UK. Currently I think there are three under construction and 2 more permits. When you look at ccs you have to also look at how many are over 100 kw and how many stalls there are.

Not often mentioned is how seamless Supercharging is. Park, punch button on handle to open port, plug in. No charge card. It’s minor but is symbolic of the Tesla experience. It’s sort of like Tesla’s having no ON button.

Yes, Tesla keeps adding in the UK. Currently I think there are three under construction and 2 more permits. When you look at ccs you have to also look at how many are over 100 kw and how many stalls there are.

Not often mentioned is how seamless Supercharging is. Park, punch button on handle to open port, plug in. No charge card. It’s minor but is symbolic of the Tesla experience. It’s sort of like Tesla’s having no ON button.

That's 5 that will be live within a "few" months. That's a big difference from 63 live in a month in a place the size of the UK.

I don't use public charging very often but Instavolt is, tap card and plug-in. I think most of the new ones will work that way. The biggest hindrance for I-Pace public charging seems to be they don't work well with the older Ecotricity chargers, you are best to give those a miss which is easy to do nowadays.

Public charging with a Rfid-tag is easier than refueling, but SuC is even easier.

The I-pace has an aerodynamic vent through the hood. Looks shaped like a front downforce spoiler.
It also has an airbag for pedestrians. See it in action here from 1:51
That is probably the main reasons for the mini-froot. Big enough for both an Esve, a type-2-cable and 2 bags of washer fluid. Could be worse...

I would argue, after 5 months with an I-PACE it is a great EV up there with Tesla's best. Comfort is better, finishing and is better. Tesla has the best infotainment and EV-features. Anyone really interested in the EV-revolution should testdrive it.

This is the breakdown of rapids in the UK...

snly6e.jpg

Yes, It's well documented that the Model S was originally designed to be able to take an engine.

This isn't true.

Before the very first 2008 Roadster was built, when Tesla was a garage company, it considered making a PHEV.

But it determined that lithium-ion cell technology was good enough to make a pure BEV.

Model S came much later.