Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But, again, that doesn't tell you how many chargers there are in each location. From experience I can tell you this is very important. And an area where Superchargers are currently vastly superior.

That is actual chargers and not just locations.

I agree that the Supercharger network is superior for speed and ease of use currently. I would say CCS is easier to find but more fragmented and often needing more effort.

I'm sure your experience will change for the better as the I-Pace has a far longer range than the Leaf.

Why did you not hold out for the Model 3? It seems the right car for you.

Even with 2 motors, the S and the 3 have usable frunk space. I don’t buy the nearly useless frunk space because it was designed from scratch as an EV.
While you may not "buy" it, consider: Most ("all"?) of the ICE-chassis derived EV's have little-to-no frunk space. The S and 3 were designed from the ground-up as EV's. They do have significantly more frunk space.

Therefore real-world experience directly refutes your hypothesis. Heck, even the Semi has a decently usable frunk.

Nonetheless, your gut feeling in support of @hereu aside, he made the assertion, so he needs to provide the backing.

Reactions: Richt and Skryll
Yes, It's well documented that the Model S was originally designed to be able to take an engine. It was just my reply to someone who couldn't understand why the I-Pace has a small "frunk".
No, that is not well documented, in fact it is false. Henrik Fisker was initially engaged to design the Model S, and he took his design and founded Fisker with it. That design did have room for a gas engine, but Tesla threw out his design and sued him. They hired Franz von Holzhausen who did a new clean-sheet design of the current Model S. And your observation clearly doesn't apply to the Model 3 either.

No, that is not well documented, in fact it is false. Henrik Fisker was initially engaged to design the Model S, and he took his design and founded Fisker with it. That design did have room for a gas engine, but Tesla threw out his design and sued him. They hired Franz von Holzhausen who did a new clean-sheet design of the current Model S. And your observation clearly doesn't apply to the Model 3 either.

This could well be the case. I did hear it somewhere a long time ago and I'm happy to go along with your version of it and admit I picked it up wrong.

Reactions: GSP
That is actual chargers and not just locations.

I agree that the Supercharger network is superior for speed and ease of use currently. I would say CCS is easier to find but more fragmented and often needing more effort.

I'm sure your experience will change for the better as the I-Pace has a far longer range than the Leaf.

Why did you not hold out for the Model 3? It seems the right car for you.

Simply because, at ~£400 per month and no deposit, the I-PACE was too difficult to say no to. The LEAF was an expensive short-term lease as a stopgap and I couldn't really wait longer for the Model 3. And I really don't regret opting for the I-PACE lease. A joy to drive, much more so than the LEAF. Once the lease is up I may well buy a Model 3, but I'm enjoying this Jaguar in the meantime. :D

The same EV isn't the perfect fit for everyone and they all have their pluses and minuses.

Very true.

While you may not "buy" it, consider: Most ("all"?) of the ICE-chassis derived EV's have little-to-no frunk space. The S and 3 were designed from the ground-up as EV's. They do have significantly more frunk space.

Therefore real-world experience directly refutes your hypothesis. Heck, even the Semi has a decently usable frunk.

Nonetheless, your gut feeling in support of @hereu aside, he made the assertion, so he needs to provide the backing.
I am confused Please read what I posted. I said that even dual motor Tesla’s have usable frunk space BECAUSE they were designed as pure EV’s. I stand by that.

Reactions: Richt
Simply because, at ~£400 per month and no deposit, the I-PACE was too difficult to say no to. The LEAF was an expensive short-term lease as a stopgap and I couldn't really wait longer for the Model 3. And I really don't regret opting for the I-PACE lease. A joy to drive, much more so than the LEAF. Once the lease is up I may well buy a Model 3, but I'm enjoying this Jaguar in the meantime. :D

The lease is what, 18 months? It might take at least half that time to get right hand drive Model 3 into production. So in the UK scenario it makes perfect sense to go with the iPace now, then reassess in 18 months.

Reactions: Richt
Tesla wider than expected loss:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/24/tesla-reports-702-million-loss-in-first-quarter/

Tesla cuts prices over demand issues:

“Demand is at the heart of the problem,” analysts led by Adam Jonas said in a note. “Tesla has grown too big relative to near-term demand, putting great strain on the fundamentals.”

Tesla lowers prices on Model S and X vehicles as its stock slumps

Seems like now they’re a mature car company. Stock is down ~38% YTD but it’s all good. And I’m fan.

Our good buddy McRat hasn't been around in a while, I sure do miss his anti-Tesla diatribes. Here he was back in 2018 just before buying his I-Pace...

The big question remains. Did Jaguar do their homework? Buying a Year One anything is always a risk. But Jaguar Land Rover has apparently improved their quality procedures. But really, they didn't have anywhere to go but up. Both Jag and LR are considered 'fashion brands' in the USA. Status symbols. So for them to offer a good value in an EV is quite a surprise. They aren't cheap, but they aren't the most expensive either.

Here he is on the I-Pace forum trying to debug his "improved quality" Jaguar:

mcrat_zpsworyuuws.jpg

mcrat2_zps8hudn695.jpg

mcrat3_zpsjmt5azig.jpg

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to which forum is the most popular and has the highest participation?

mcrat4_zpslpwhd2qb.jpg

Our good buddy McRat hasn't been around in a while, I sure do miss his anti-Tesla diatribes. Here he was back in 2018 just before buying his I-Pace...

Here he is on the I-Pace forum trying to debug his "improved quality" Jaguar:

mcrat_zpsworyuuws.jpg

mcrat2_zps8hudn695.jpg

mcrat3_zpsjmt5azig.jpg

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to which forum is the most popular and has the highest participation?

mcrat4_zpslpwhd2qb.jpg
This just highlights how far ahead Tesla is in software. ICE manufacturers have only one area of competence and that is now obsolete. They need to develop a whole new set of skills and it will take years. Tesla has a 10 year lead in EVs.