Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's been seven years since Tesla came out with these listed innovations. I find it interesting that NO existing car manufacturer has decided to copy ANY of these innovations. I mean, really?

- over the air software updates to fix problems
- over the air enhancements to the car
- high amperage Mobile Connector with multiple plug options
- supercharger network

seems to me that I read a Tesla Tati article maybe, summarizing charge connector options, and somebody, maybe vw had one similar to the Tesla, too lazy to search for it, and in any case, not yet deployed, lol.

So it's been seven years since Tesla came out with these listed innovations. I find it interesting that NO existing car manufacturer has decided to copy ANY of these innovations. I mean, really?

- supercharger network

The first three on your list were also in the Tesla Roadster. So over 10 years.

I suspect it is partly the same thing that keeps certain people away from Tesla cars in general -- they just can't stand admitting that Tesla is better at some things. Every time a manufacturer adds a feature that Tesla pioneered, they are giving sincere flattery and I think that really is tough for certain people and companies. It's bizarre how some people simply cannot stand the brand. Maybe it is Elon, maybe it is the threat of the end of oil, I don't know. One guy recently created an entire thread just to justify how he bought his Model 3 for reasons other than environmental concerns. Is there any other car that an owner would feel like they need to cower in the apology corner while pleading for others to believe he bought of his own free will? Bizarro world!

If this mentality did not exist I believe Tesla would be part of another company by now. VW is too proud (and shady), Ford and GM are not smart enough, and Apple thinks their s$#t does not stink. All of these are exacerbated by the Tesla brand prickliness.

- supercharger network
No existing car manufacturer was paying attention to Tesla in a serious way, just like no cellphone maker was paying attention to Apple in a serious way. And their handicap is that they're car makers, not software developers.

So the fact that I own one mean that I don't know what I'm talking about? He may have been talking about what the Model S would do.
Well, this is sort of incorrect. Starting with the Roadster 2.0, Tesla did include a cell module that was supposed to support remote diagnostic data collection and over-the-air updates. They only ever used it to remotely collect data and never implemented the over-the-air update ability. All 2.0 and 2.5 Roadsters still have this cell card, but Tesla has since terminated the cell service on the card so they no longer can collect remote data from these Roadsters.

No existing car manufacturer was paying attention to Tesla in a serious way, just like no cellphone maker was paying attention to Apple in a serious way. And their handicap is that they're car makers, not software developers.

I really think they do not want to change their business model (see music industry and how well that went), they want to keep their service/dealers centers in place because there is a lot of money to be made there. Also, the dealer's don't want any of this "new" stuff because we still make money off the ICE cars. It might be better for the manufacturers to spin off EV units as a different division than trying to update/fix the current model (too much resistance, etc...). We'll see how it plays out but I think it will not go well for all the manufacturers find a way to separate themselves from the old ways...

Jaguar has OTA enabled now. Took them around a year to enable. Audi has nav updates ota.
Enhancments; don't expect as many as Tesla, but Jaguar just release a range increase. (Not OTA though...) not expecting Audi to do it.
Audi has mobile charging adapter for schuko and CEE in Europe, but either 230V 1-phase 32A or 400V 3-phase 16A. Jaguar had to deliver Juice Boosters to some of us because of false advertising which does all 3.
In EU, we have a decent, and improving, network of 150kW chargers. No disaster but not as good as SuC.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Received a McRat update today. Highlights include:
1) Car has been in service since 11-12-19.
2) Jaguar will repurchase his vehicle.
3) He remains the owner (presumably making payments) until Jaguar completes the repurchase.
4) Jaguar will contact him within 12-15 business days :eek:
5) Still loves the I-Pace (always knew this guy was very determined, misguided maybe, but determined nevertheless...)
6) He states that he will be buying another brand. NO mention of the brand being Tesla, but the global set of brands he is now avoiding is rapidly shrinking. Maybe he should give Schwinn a try, I hear they are quite reliable! :D

McRat 2020_01_14.jpg

6) He states that he will be buying another brand. NO mention of the brand being Tesla, but the global set of brands he is now avoiding is rapidly shrinking. Maybe he should give Schwinn a try, I hear they are quite reliable! :D

I assume you meant that the brands he is now avoiding are rapidly increasing. (Or the brands he is not avoiding is rapidly shrinking.)

BTW: Thanks for keeping us up to date on the issues over there. He still has the option of a Leaf, Niro EV, Taycan, or E-Tron right? (The EQC not available in the US yet, and has he already excluded the Bolt EV?)

Another update from Electrek... this does not look good for the future of Jaguar. :cool:

Jaguar dealers are offering whopping $20,000 discounts on the I-Pace EV - Electrek

The official starting price for the 394-horsepower, all-electric luxury Jaguar I-Pace is just under $70,000. But dealers across the country are offering eye-popping deals on 2019 I-Pace models still on the lot according to Electrek’s Best EV deals price survey. A dealership in North Miami, Florida, is dropping $20,000 from the price of an I-Pace that initially listed for $73,745. At $53k and change, any version of a new I-Pace is a remarkable deal.

The most significant discount comes from Jaguar of White Plains, NY, which reduced the price by $21,569 for an I-Pace that listed for $88,001. There are similar $20,000 discounts in Oklahoma City and Seattle. Check your local dealers for heavily discounted I-Pace inventory. Taylor Hoel, a Jaguar spokesperson, confirmed that some retailers are offering “amazing deals.” In an email to Electrek, he wrote: As an industry and as a brand, sales have slowed down over the last few months as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Nationally on I-PACE, we are promoting 0% APR for up to 72 months, and a finance payment deferral program which allows new finance customers to defer their first payment for 90 days.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
The company is struggling, plus this model is nothing in the USA. Perhaps it sells better in Europe.

They should have started the market with a crazy deal as they are underdogs

First 30 real people can get base model for $30K
Next 40 real people can get base model for $40K
Next 50 real people can get base model for $50K

You got to make a splash when underdog in new segment.

I think some of this may simply be a reflection of volatility in the EV market. Look at how much sticker prices of the MX and MS have dropped in just the last couple of years. In addition, Tesla has certainly been known to deep discount some of its new/demo "existing inventory" cars.

New cars as a whole are in a big slump right now because of the disruption caused by the pandemic; not sure how much of this is tied to that.

You guys should not be so tough on Jaguar, until I purchased my first Tesla I owned Jaguars since 1970. I loved them and honestly not that many problems and most of those were fixed when Ford purchased Jaguar in 1989. I think the ipace is a nice looking vehicle and as with many new cars with new technology they have their problems. If Tesla was not in existence I would have an ipace.