Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had read that IHT Markit had estimated Jaguar I-Pace production at 13,000 units:
Jaguar I-Pace likely to beat Audi, Porsche rivals to showrooms

But since that was an estimate by a 3rd party, I always took it with some hesitation. This post is interesting coming from someone that says they spoke to a Jaguar rep in Frankfurt:

So that's a confirmation of sorts of ~13k units to be made in the first model year. The regional split is yet unknown. Given that the Hyundai Ioniq Electric was initially made at an even higher volume than that (14,400/year), the I-Pace will not really have significant numbers in any one market.
If they've already got enough orders for two year's production, they'd better double their contract!

I have tried sitting in the I-Pace two times (At reveal and at dealer). There is much more legroom and headroom in an I-Pace compared to a Model S. The only position in the I-Pace with little headroom is the center backseat because of the rear roof light.

Tried our rear facing child seat which I have used in a Model S to. A lot more legroomin the I-Pace!

Also the car comes with two options for seats. Normal sport seats and performance seats with fixed headrests (Like Model S). I tried the normal sport seats, not sure if this affects legroom.

And the interior quality was not only 1 step over Tesla, it was great, cannot be compared.

as72 that is a proof how subjective we are! I have owned a Model S for two years and have been sitting in two IPace cars in Geneva. I had the feeling that head and legroom in the second row is much less in the Ipace then in the Model S. And the build quality of the seats in those two IPace cars was much lower then in my Model S! But I do absolutely not want to say that I am right. It was just my impression!

Reactions: techmaven
Ian Callum who designed this thing is a genius I think. Look at the clever (crossover) blend of high-riding, oversized hatchback, estate-like MPV and SUV. It should have been a Tesla.

It has a Cd of .29 and pitiful trunk/frunk space. Completely unacceptable for a Tesla compact CUV.

Storage is one of the two main reasons consumers buy a crossover/SUV/MPV/estate.

Yet in an ev starved market, I Pace has a two year backorder of ~26k units.

It has a Cd of .29 and pitiful trunk/frunk space. Completely unacceptable for a Tesla compact CUV.

Storage is one of the two main reasons consumers buy a crossover/SUV/MPV/estate.

Yet in an ev starved market, I Pace has a two year backorder of ~26k units.

I am mixed on the inside. It looks beautiful, but doesn't seem that spacious. In the video with James Cooke he said it feels spacious and I think he said more so than the S, but when I looked at him in the seats it looked quite cramp! The internal space figures don't seem to match up to the size of the vehicle, it seems to be missing space.

Outside, I think it is on par with the S and 3. Much better than the X. Although according to my fiance, I have terrible taste in cars.

I want to see it next to a number of other cars. The concept had the size a lot smaller than the final announced dimensions, which are too large for me.

Ian Callum who designed this thing is a genius I think. Look at the clever (crossover) blend of high-riding, oversized hatchback, estate-like MPV and SUV. It should have been a Tesla.

Completely agree. I've seen it, and although I'm not partial to the grill[e], the proportions and design are a slam-dunk. Neat, flowing, and homogenous. Unlike the Audi "concept" SUV that parades a hood of strangely traditional size.

What's more, its dimensions are a somewhat better fit than the Model X for the gigantic European and Asian markets, it being significanly shorter [ 4,682 to 5,036 mm ]. Although their width does not help global adoption. See:
tesla model x exterior dimensions - Google Search
Jaguar I-PACE | Electric Car Specifications | Jaguar

The Model Y has to get this right to sit in the hottest segment world-wide [where it belongs], and it's encouraging that it will be based on the 3.

• Informative
Reactions: voyager
What's more, its dimensions are a somewhat better fit than the Model X for the gigantic European and Asian markets,

Wealthy Koreans and Chinese prefer a bigger car.

Preferences of the bottom half of the Chinese market and bottom fifth of the Korean market are quite irrelevant to Tesla.

For example in China Mercedes doesn't sell the standard length E Class. Only long wheelbase versions.

Mercedes E Class L outsells standard length C Class.

And the US outsells the EU in total car sales 17M to 15.6M.

Japan will forever,it seems, be a tiny market for American automakers.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Waymo and Jaguar Team Up With 20,000 Car Self-Driving Fleet
  • Jaguar I-Pace will move into Waymo taxi serivce by 2020
  • Alphabet putting some $1.3 billion into deal, second since FCA

By Gabrielle Coppola and Mark Bergen

(Bloomberg) --
"Waymo is teaming up with Jaguar Land Rover on autonomous vehicles, its second major automaker partnership and a big boost for the nascent technology that has come under scrutiny recently.

Under the accord, Alphabet Inc.'s Waymo will integrate its self-driving system into Jaguar's I-Pace electric SUVs, the first all-electric offering from the luxury unit of Tata Motors Ltd. Waymo said it plans to place 20,000 autonomous I-Pace vehicles on the road for tests in 2018. By 2020, the vehicles will become part of Waymo's ride-hailing taxi service, set to begin this year.

"It ended up being a really terrific next vehicle for us and fit one of the key aspects of our business plan,"John Krafcik, Waymo's chief executive officer, said in an interview. "We can get closer to getting just the right car for just the ride that person has requested."

Waymo, which has racked up the most autonomous test miles on roads, is eager to work with more car companies to bolster its lead as it prepares to launch a commercial ride-hailing service. The companies didn’t disclose financial terms, but Waymo is planning to purchase the I-Pace vehicles, which sell for $69,500. That would place Waymo's payment for the deal at more than $1.3 billion.

A self-driving car from Uber Technologies Inc. hit and killed a pedestrian last week, which stunned the industry and kicked off a debate about the technology's capabilities on open roads. On Saturday, Krafcik said he was confident that Waymo's technology would have avoided the crash.

After courting major automakers for years, Waymo, the former Google self-driving project, inked its first deal with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV in 2016. Waymo then deployed Chrysler Pacifica minivans in its tests cities and, in January, said it was buying thousands of the vehicles ahead of its commercial taxi service debut.

The Jaguar vehicles, like the Pacficas, will bear the Waymo logo and be part of its coming ride-hailing network. Yet Krafcik insisted that Jaguar has a financial stake in the deal. "It's a real partnership," Krafcik said. "You'll see aspects of that going forward."

In September, Bloomberg reported that Jaguar Land Rover was weighing purchases of technology companies that could boost its efforts to roll out electric vehicles and autonomous driving systems. In June, the automaker said it had invested $25 million in Lyft Inc. as part of a funding round that closed in April. The company also said it's working with Lyft on autonomous-driving technology and will offer vehicles for rent to the San Francisco-based startup's drivers. Waymo has also announced a partnership with Lyft."

• Informative
Reactions: zmarty and hiroshiy
Just saw CNBC's Phil LeBeau's interview with Waymo's CEO Phil Krafcik. This is great stuff!

Waymo CEO: Our focus has always been safety

Let's see where we net out - despite being in the Tesla camp overall, my money's on Waymo-Jaguar and their Lidar implementation beating Tesla and their Radar-camera setup to full autonomy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phrixotrichus
So first year production of 20,000 I-Pace is 100% going to Waymo...how many retail customers will actually get a car?
The 20,000 is over a couple of years
I'm hoping they increase production plans because of it, though
Jaguar said:
Up to 20,000 I‑PACE's will be built in the first two years of production and be available for riders of Waymo’s driverless service, serving a potential one million trips per day.
But, yes, a significant percentage

I sat in the Jaguar I-PACE EV400 today at the NYIAS press day.

They also had the Waymo Edition.

A lot smaller/shorter than MX. Maybe 5’ tall? Interior is very nice but it’s nothing new. Jaguar/LR interior. Tight fit.

The trunk area is oddly long compared to where the Hatch glass ends (lots of unused space).

“EV400” badge is a rounded up attempt at representing 394 HP.

Fh558nq.jpg

aprTxsA.jpg

v76aXbx.jpg

1MYmhTj.jpg