Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waymo and Jaguar Team Up With 20,000 Car Self-Driving Fleet
  • Jaguar I-Pace will move into Waymo taxi serivce by 2020
  • Alphabet putting some $1.3 billion into deal, second since FCA

By Gabrielle Coppola and Mark Bergen

(Bloomberg) --
"Waymo is teaming up with Jaguar Land Rover on autonomous vehicles, its second major automaker partnership and a big boost for the nascent technology that has come under scrutiny recently.

Under the accord, Alphabet Inc.'s Waymo will integrate its self-driving system into Jaguar's I-Pace electric SUVs, the first all-electric offering from the luxury unit of Tata Motors Ltd. Waymo said it plans to place 20,000 autonomous I-Pace vehicles on the road for tests in 2018. By 2020, the vehicles will become part of Waymo's ride-hailing taxi service, set to begin this year.

"It ended up being a really terrific next vehicle for us and fit one of the key aspects of our business plan,"John Krafcik, Waymo's chief executive officer, said in an interview. "We can get closer to getting just the right car for just the ride that person has requested."

Waymo, which has racked up the most autonomous test miles on roads, is eager to work with more car companies to bolster its lead as it prepares to launch a commercial ride-hailing service. The companies didn’t disclose financial terms, but Waymo is planning to purchase the I-Pace vehicles, which sell for $69,500. That would place Waymo's payment for the deal at more than $1.3 billion.

A self-driving car from Uber Technologies Inc. hit and killed a pedestrian last week, which stunned the industry and kicked off a debate about the technology's capabilities on open roads. On Saturday, Krafcik said he was confident that Waymo's technology would have avoided the crash.

After courting major automakers for years, Waymo, the former Google self-driving project, inked its first deal with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV in 2016. Waymo then deployed Chrysler Pacifica minivans in its tests cities and, in January, said it was buying thousands of the vehicles ahead of its commercial taxi service debut.

The Jaguar vehicles, like the Pacficas, will bear the Waymo logo and be part of its coming ride-hailing network. Yet Krafcik insisted that Jaguar has a financial stake in the deal. "It's a real partnership," Krafcik said. "You'll see aspects of that going forward."

In September, Bloomberg reported that Jaguar Land Rover was weighing purchases of technology companies that could boost its efforts to roll out electric vehicles and autonomous driving systems. In June, the automaker said it had invested $25 million in Lyft Inc. as part of a funding round that closed in April. The company also said it's working with Lyft on autonomous-driving technology and will offer vehicles for rent to the San Francisco-based startup's drivers. Waymo has also announced a partnership with Lyft."

I saw this announcement and thought it was a bit strange if Waymo's intention is to use the vehicle as a taxi to take people to the airport for example which I would think is one of it's planned uses. If all 5 seats are taken, does it realistically have enough room in the trunk (let's forget the frunk which seems to be an afterthought) to fit luggage for 4 people? especially if they are women :rolleyes: (or 5 people's luggage if you bought the iPace for yourself to drive and take your family). My husband always complains that I pack too much :) and the rear being slanted like it is has to cut into the height space of the trunk/hatchback area. I can think of nothing worse than calling for a ride to the airport, having it show up and then not having room for all the luggage.

On a personal preference note, while I don't like the front grill at all, the thing that bothers me even more is the rear side window/s being split like that. It's not an ugly car by any means, which I find the Bolt for example or the i3, but the iPace's grill, rear side window, trunk space, would have me passing on it without even looking under the hood so to speak or checking out the interior. Interestingly having a Model S for a year now I've been swayed I guess to now find the interior of the iPace to feel cluttered with instrumentation. Felt this way too when we had a loaner for my Toyota ICE from the dealership there. And I really can't see wanting to go back to a tiny navigation screen which is common among many manufacturers. These are two thing I probably would not be so affected by if I had never been in a Tesla.

Last edited:
I saw this announcement and thought it was a bit strange if Waymo's intention is to use the vehicle as a taxi to take people to the airport for example which I would think is one of it's planned uses. ...
We travel a bit.
If you've taken taxis in the last 10 years, most are Priuses or similar, especially in congested older cities.
Note that a driverless car has 1 additional seat, so it's 5 paying passengers or perhaps 3-4 with additional luggage area.

When you travel with a family of 4 and luggage for an adventure, your taxi is always big. E350s, MB Vans, Limos, Minivans, real SUVs. You don't use the Prius, your chit won't fix.

But one interesting aspect of the Frunk, if they don't use it for AV components, the driver's crap can go in there. Can't count the number of the times we waited for the driver to clean out their trunk so we could have more luggage room.

With all the Euro talk of Yank Tanks I noticed the I-Pace is a half an inch wider than the Model X.

If all the European hysterics about how Model X can't fit in certain medieval European roads where is such talk about the I Pace ?

I actually mentioned this a while back. It is disappointing as the concept wasn't as anywhere near as wide.

This is the bit I am disappointed about. The width (mirrors folded), is 2,011mm. The original concept was 1,890mm. The Model S is too wide as it is.

2018-04-05 11_19_51-Electric Car Specifications _ Jaguar I-PACE _ Jaguar UK.png

2018-04-05 11_20_57-Model X _ Tesla Hong Kong.png

• Informative
Reactions: Lokolo
2139 mm (Ipace)vs 1999 mm (X) both with mirrors folded.

iPace with mirrors folded is 2,011mm. 2,139 is with mirrors unfolded.

Whichever source you chose it is wider than Model 3, which was deemed by many Europeans as still too wide.

Where have many Europeans said that about 3? S and X I can understand, but 3 is OK.

Standard parking spaces are 2400mm. Numerous roads and bridges have a maximum width of 2000mm. The maximum width I personally think is decent on roads is around 1900mm.

Here I am! A European hysteric! I just came back from France where I did drive my Model X through Beaune and Autun in France and was in real trouble making it through without any scratches.
And yes, it is disappointing that the IPace is wider then expected! And yes this and the fact that it has one phase charging only, is the reason why I have not ordered an IPace yet!

Do you have any actual sources?

And disagreeing with my post, which part of it do you disagree with? The reason I disagreed with your post is because the information is incorrect, and then Spidy supplied you with the correct information with the source (and the same source I have mentioned in this thread previously). Feel free to edit your post and I will remove the disagree, but at the moment, the post is incorrect.

Last edited:
Do you have any actual sources?

And disagreeing with my post, which part of it do you disagree with? The reason I disagreed with your post is because the information is incorrect, and then Spidy supplied you with the correct information with the source (and the same source I have mentioned in this thread previously). Feel free to edit your post and I will remove the disagree, but at the moment, the post is incorrect.

Learn to use the search button and never question the King in the North.

• Funny
Reactions: Lokolo
What is your source for that? The dealership to which I went yesterday indicated no such thing. Quite the contrary - if I had put down a deposit yesterday, I'd get my i-Pace in August or September (this year).

Jaguar says it has over 25,000 confirmed orders for the I-Pace, with customers in big markets in Europe and the U.S. placing "four-figure" deposits, despite the not knowing the exact final price. That order book is almost two year's worth of production at Magna Steyr's contract manufacturing plant in Graz, Austria, where the I-Pace will be built based on capacity predictions from IHS Markit.

Why Jaguar won't show the I-Pace at Frankfurt

Can't find the latest update with Jaguar exec from Geneva auto show but that is trade Journal Automotive News Europe from 7 months ago.

Reactions: Blastphemy